Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Bay Area Monthly Get-Togethers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

On the SF Bay Area roll call thread ( see page 6 of www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/001579.html ), the idea for monthly SF Bay Area get-togethers was broached.

I suggested that the venue should alternate among San Francisco, East Bay, and Silicon Valley. cblaisd concurred and suggested that some of the events be low-cost, and asked if I could start a new thread on this subject.

This new thread is intended to:

1. Solicit ideas for time (weeknight, weekend), location/venue, and type of get-together (drinks only, dinner, lunch, brunch, or ?). Think about what you would be most likely to participate in.

2. Find volunteers to help organize these. It will be much easier if the responsibility rotates each month. I am willing to do one maybe every six months or so, and hope that others will step up to make a similar commitment.

So, thoughts? Volunteers?

Kathy
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:41 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Kathy, thanks for reviving this idea! I'd prefer a not-to-late dinner on weekends. Brunch would also be nice. Though based in SF, I'd be willing to go almost anywhere in the Bay Area
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Great idea, especially for those of us fartherest away from the city to include Silicon Valley. Weekdays are difficult for me, but pretty much anytime Sat or Sunday would work. Thanks for taking the initiative here.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Weekday lunches are probably best for me overall; weekends are tough. Sound like we need both an alternation of venues and of weekend/weekday/evening events. I suggest we get a few more opinions and then see if we can find some folks volunteering to organize something over the next months. (I intend to but need to check some calendar stuff with Mrs. cblaisd first)
Old Feb 14, 2003, 1:58 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am (more than) willing, to organize (again and again) a DIM SUM brunch (costs never above $15, less if you can resist to order 'chicken feet').

Probably always around mid september, on a 49er home-game Sunday.at 10:00AM. Until now, we FlyerTalkers already had 4 brunches there.

Fook Yuen
195 El Camino Rea
Millbrae, CA 94030-2605
Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:16 am
mjm
Original Member

Well I am game and plan to be in the Bay Area a couple times later this year (late July and early October for the moment) with more trips to be added for the same reason as the gentleman and gracious winner from Switzerland . I would be happy to help coordinate a get-together while there, and I hope I manage to time it right so as to join the gang at the now famous Fook Yuen. 10:00am right?

Mike

------------------
FT picture page (hosted by markbach)
My Starbucks City Mug Collection Page
NYC Football Bet Payoff Mini-Do
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:13 am

This is a great idea. I'm on the road during the week so Fri/Sat/Sun work best for me.

I usually don't stray to far from the city but would do so with the proper incentive
Old Feb 14, 2003, 11:50 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I would be happy to organize a WEEKDAY SF lunch to accomodate those of us for whom that is easier!
May would be good for me.

thanks Kathy and Chuck for reviving htis...

Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by squeakr:
I would be happy to organize a WEEKDAY SF lunch to accomodate those of us for whom that is easier!
May would be good for me.
</font>
I think we have our first quasi-commitment Squeakr, I shall look forward to the particulars for May's lunch. If you can find a locale walkable from BART more's the better

Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks for the responses!

With any luck, there will be events both on weekends and weekdays, in different parts of the Bay Area, and who knows -- maybe even once a month or more often!

Any suggestions for restaurants/bars at which to hold these? Criteria would probably include:[list=1][*] good food and a variety of menu options, preferably including economical ones (and vegetarian ones?)[*] for "drinks" events, the option of ordering snacks or meals[*] ability to accommodate groups; good size and ambience[*] easy directions; proximity to parking and public transport[/list=a]

Kathy

Old Feb 14, 2003, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

South Bay: Ming's Palo Alto (dim sum weekend days, Chinese menu other times) is right at the Embarcadero exit from 101, not dirt cheap but not ridiculously expensive, has space for a zillion people and a billion cars, usually available on short notice.

Close to SFO: How about that sports bar at the Hyatt next to 101 at Burlingame exit, the Hyatt with the tents on its roof?

SF on the Embarcadero: Maybe Gordon Biersch, if no Giants game is on?

Old Feb 14, 2003, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
for the May lunch it will be an inexpensive bartable locale soon to be determined
!
Old Feb 14, 2003, 6:16 pm

Thank you squeakr!
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Here are some venue suggestions:
-- for lunch in SF: Lavash - 4 Embarcadero Ctr., 1 block from BART & Muni Metro, reasonable, Mediterranean, vegetarian, nice location on the plaza opposite the Ferry Bldg.
-- for dinner in Silicon Valley, Sarovar Indian Restaurant, Lawrence Expressway, 1 mi. SW. of 101, a few miles N. of SJC. Lots of free parking. Excellent dinner buffet for $10 p.p., private room available.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks and keep those restaurant suggestions coming, everyone!

I had also thought of Gordon Biersch in SF.

Another question for meals in SF: There's clearly a weekday lunch contingent, but for those that would prefer weekends, what would your preferences be among the following?
  • Friday night dinner
  • Saturday brunch/lunch
  • Saturday night dinner
  • Sunday brunch/lunch
  • Sunday night dinner
And all you Bay Area lurkers out there, post your opinions! (FTers outside the Bay Area are also welcome to join in these events, and even plan them, as Rudi and mjm have done, of course!) Thanks.

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 02-14-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.