Search

Düsseldorf In Summer - DUS III

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Düsseldorf In Summer - DUS III

We’re getting closer … and more into the actual planning
From Friday July, 18th – Sunday July, 20th Summer in Düsseldorf (aka DUS III) will take place.
Excerpts from my post from the original “Pre Announcement” thread some six mo’s ago:
Every year there is a big 10-day-fair with some 5 million visitors that week of July with huge fireworks on Friday. We'd be able to watch it from 180 meters above ground (Dinner atop "Radio Tower").
Saturday may include a trip to "Schloss Burg", where some 800 yrs. ago the Dukes of Berg had residence, who ruled over Düsseldorf and the Rhineland. Trip would include a "Bergische Kaffeetafel" (Coffee Table ??) in one of the castle's rooms, usually served late afternoon. This would not only be kind of afternoon "caffee & cake" but also lots of foods from sweet to hearty like waffles, sweet rice and cream, preserves and sweet bread to pumpernickel and sausages.
Saturday night we'd visit the fairgrounds and ride rollercoasters and wheels and get into a "Bierzelt", of course - ALTBIER !
To everybody, who'd be interested what my terrace may look like in summer we'll meet at my place once again - either for our "traditional" Meet & Greet on Friday or the Farewell on Sunday.
To get an impression: There are pics to look at. “

Today I got a rate of 105 € sgl and 115 € dbl incl. breakfast at the Nikko Hotel right downtown, which is even slightly lower than it was when we last met in Düsseldorf . You could either book the room yourself with Miss Stefanie Ventz ( mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A> – you need to refer to FLYERTALK and please let me know via email) or let me do this again. This way I’d need your CC details like cc company, no., real name, expiration via private email.

As soon as I know how many will decide to be part of it after this post I'll go planning the details like posted above.

Friday 18th
Fireworks will start at dusk which is 10:30pm that season. We will either go in the revolving restaurant on top of radio tower (it's quite unusual to watch fireworks from above)or go on a boat and watch it from the river. Either way we'll start with dinner at 7:30 - 8pm.

Saturday
1 - 2pm excursion to "Schloss Burg" by chartered bus (45 - 60 min. ride). Visit of the castle and "Kaffetafel". Return to Düsseldorf 6:30 - 7:30pm.
Visit to the "Kirmes" (fair) starting at a "Bierzelt". Rest of the time at your leisure - there is no way to stay together with such a large group .... there are some 500k more people that very night (dependimg on the weather). Though you've had quite enough to eat at he "Kaffetafel" - there is a lots of food at the Kirmes like "Fischbrötchen", "Bratwurst" etc.

Sunday
noon - 3pm: Farewell @ Bernie's
... of course we might add another dinner with those still staying

These FT’ers are definite participants:

airoli
Auh20
AusTXHiker
belle3388 + hubby
Bernie
Blondebomber
chemist661
Darlene
Daydream
DLSTR
Emailman
Essxjay
Gaucho100k
Jerry A. Laska
Joh & Oz
Magic111 & Jerrie
Matthew Vandamm
MattWald
mauld
Mizu
mjm
Peter_D
Punki & Hunki
ralfkrippner
Redhead
Reisevergnuegen
Rudi & Gisela
Spiff
techgirl
Tim2008
Warrenlm

Maybe:

AnnaS
counsellor
curt
Germanflyer
kempis
LH738
restlessinRNO
SanDiego1K
tom911

Pleeeaaase - help me with planning and staying up to date:
Please confirm not only here on FT but also via private email including your real name, arrival and departure date and time, and if you will or will not be interested in one of those events that require exact planning.
I'm trying to elaborate one "prix fixe" for all events incl. fees, transportation and meals. No drinks of course

Looking forward seeing you ....

[This message has been edited by bernie (edited 01-07-2003).]
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:42 pm

This is perfect timing as I plan to fly to Spain on the 21st from DUS so I will definately be there and staying from the 18th till the 21st. Not sure if I will stay at the Nikko but will let you know!

Tim
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Thanks for the information Bernie
Will follow up with an email but I believe that Jerrie and I will most likely be staying at the NIKKO until the 21st and will participate in all events.
Saw fireworks from above flying from dtw-pit on 4th of July a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Due to recent changes in my travel schedule, I will not be able to make this festive event. Please have a safe and enjoyable gathering.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm arriving on Friday around 1:30...

LH 439 DFW-FRA
LH 26 FRA-DUS

My departure will be either Sunday evening or Monday morning via train.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
bernie please upgrade me to definite. I'd like to stay at the Hotel Nikko and attend all activities. I'll send you an e-mail.

I'll likely fly UA SFO-FRA (since DUS is no longer available). Later on I hope someone can tell me how to get from FRA-DUS by train. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 2:03 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Since Dec,15th the "ICE-3" (fast train) is completely integrated in Deutsche Bahn's systems. Travel time betweeen FRA and DUS main station is approx. 1:20 hrs. Highest speed is 300mi/hr. Trains run almost every 15 - 20 min.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:09 am

I am in for Saturday afternoon till Sunday, sorry I cant be in DUS on Friday.
I dont know yet what time I will be in DUS. Dont need a room at the Nikko as I am staying at a friends place.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:25 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Ms. essxjay is a definite for all events.

Bernie: YGM!

Is there anything I can bring for your lovely garden?
Old Jan 11, 2003, 1:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Ms. essxjay is a definite for all events.

Bernie: YGM!

Is there anything I can bring for your lovely garden?
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:59 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Ess everything !

DGM (didn't get mail)

[This message has been edited by bernie (edited 01-12-2003).]
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:34 am
mjm
Original Member

Bernie,

Ich freue mich darauf!!

Flight details are:

17JUL LH 202 FRA-DUS
Dep: 2125 Arr: 2210

SUN 20JUL LH 1047 DUS-TXL
Dep: 1830 Arr: 1935

Will be staying at the Nikko and will make reservations directly with Stefanie and then let you know via e-mail when that is complete.

Count me in for the works please.

See you soon,

Mike

cc: [email protected]

------------------
FT picture page (hosted by markbach)
My Starbucks City Mug Collection Page
NYC Football Bet Payoff Mini-Do
SIN Mid Jan. 2003.....Let the mileage begin.......
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I'm in and definate! Will post flights and hotel details once they are finalised

------------------
I Love New York -- Viva España
Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
For all you LAX *A/Lufthansa flyers, Lufthansa is currently publishing a fare that is good from now to December and includes the July DUSIII dates. The base fare is $426 and I found routings through Frankfurt and Munich. Through FRA it priced at $536. It is booked in W class requires a saturday stay. Rules state no changes permitted.
Found on Travelocity fare code WAXZ30.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
When I check LAX-FRA on Lufthansa for July travel, on weekdays & including a Saturday night stay, I get $1332 on travelocity.com and $1831 on lufthansa.com. Am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.