Reload this Page >

The 16th Annual Oregon Brewers Festival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 16th Annual Oregon Brewers Festival

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:48 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Trying not to be overly critical, but I am a two-time attendee. On Saturday, I spent somewhat more than 1/2 hour wandering back and forth looking for FT items and, more importantly, people that I knew. Last year I was about to give up when I ran into Punki, this year it was Travelweary.

The postings did state the location, the small group that formed were outside the North tent, not in it. If I did not know people from previous get togethers, I doubt I would have hooked up. Saturday's balloons did not go up until after 2:30. I agree that Portland's history of organization has been lacking. This venue is particularly tough because of the crowds and the perpetual movement of people to and from the beer lines. What we need is a MissyDarling clone to organize.

I am sorry that doglover missed out, If he/she will e-mail me, I will be sure to meet up. I would also like someday to meet Ling. I do side with her opinion concerning driving long distances if a Do may or may not occur. I believe that she is speaking not from one experience but multiple occasions when things did not come off. There are previous threads concerning this topic.

I hope everyone who came to Portland had a great time. I know that I did getting to know Tazi, Kathywdrf, Newself and CarO (did I do it right Cheryl?). Seeing and catching up with Travelweary and Michael, Spiff, Hunki and Punki again was great. Now someone needs to invent noise-cancelling group headphones so that people can converse in the beer tent and at Kells. Eight of us had a great dinner at Kells (led there by Punki) and post-dinner, Travelweary took us on a hotel lobby tour. MrsOpus (Marsha) joined us at Kells and order, what else? A Bud Lite.

Techno fans should contact TravelWeary or Michael to discuss their new PDA/phones/cameras/beer can openers/refrigerators all in a Palm-sized package. Quite impressive despite my making fun of Michael for having one. He even demonstated its spy capabilities.

Oh, and how could I forget, Essxjay actually does exist. Best of luck in the quest, Sam.

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited 07-28-2003).]
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold

Perhaps my coming late ... after 7pm on Friday and after 6pm on Saturday made it even harder to find people.

I looked around for travelweary (a familiar face) on Saturday, but by 6pm perhaps the crowd had moved on to dinner.

On the bright side the beers were awesome this year. I found a number of IPAs and other Ales that I plan to seek out at the brewpubs themselves on my travels.

When I went to try Stone's Ruination IPA on Saturday they were out!!! Did anyone try it?

Perhaps next year I will arrange for a dinner party at one of my favorite restaurants... El Gaucho's or Southpark or one of the other many excellent eateries downtown Portland (where I work).

Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:24 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:

Very easy to criticize when YOU are not the person trying to organize the event. Perhaps you could have stepped up and offered assistance being a local rather than sitting back waiting criticize???

</font>
tazi, calling me a Portland local is like calling you a New York City local.

I was going to send you an email, but I see you have no email address listed. I'm glad you had a good time, Portland is a wonderful city.

One day I hope to meet more FTers in Oregon. It's not like a lot of DO's happen here. I've met LarryU and shadow in other cities! The only Portlander I've met in Portland is essxjay.

Thank you, opushomes, for a more eloquent version of my thoughts. I think I was a little frustrated at work that day I posted and it affected my comments. We will have to meet someday; I read of all the exciting places you travel to and am jealous.

Linda

Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:44 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Ling (Linda)

I hear about all the places you travel. I am so jealous. I also would not drive up from Roseburg (I think that is where you are based) on the off chance of finding someone.

Tazi, now that I know her, is indeed a New York local, she lives in Baltimore.

Doglover: You missed us by about 15 minutes on Saturday. Seven of us went to Kell's at about 6p.m. MrsOpus joined us there later. Unfortunately, we had moved from the North Tent to under the eaves at the south tent on the Willamette side. There were two pairs of balloons flying when you arrived. Spiff and friends were still there. Sorry to have missed you. As a color-challenged individual, I cannot verify that they were even the right colors.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Actually, I think that those of us who did find each other had quite a good time. I really enjoyed getting to meet Travelweary & Michael, Spiff & Tazi, OpusHomes (and Mrs. Opus), Punki & Hunki, Sam (and getting to wish her a happy birthday in person, not to mention impressing her with my ability to find the shortest route through the crowd to the beer line of choice!), Kathy, and SeeYa. My apologies to anyone I forgot to mention!

Newself and I arrived around noon and eventually found Travelweary and Michael, followed by Spiff and Tazi(?). We did start outside what we thought was the north tent, but since the better (according to Spiff, Newself & Travelweary) beers were near the other tent, we picked up our chairs and moved. Yes, quite a sight... 6 of us hauling chairs through the crowd with Spiff stopping to pick up a few more along the way!

Dinner at Kells was great...although we would've taken quite a bit longer finding it if not for Punki's navigational ability as mentioned by Opushomes.

Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Here are some photos:

FlyerTalkers in Portland, July 25-26, 2003

In addition to meeting with old and new FT friends at the Brewfest, our little jaunt to the Farmer's Market at Portland State University was quite enjoyable. After the FT events, I visited the Chinese Garden and took a jetboat ride on the Willamette River. (The jetboat ride would make a great group activity for future FlyerTalk Do's -- best to do it in the morning BEFORE drinking, however! )

Kathy
Old Aug 3, 2003, 5:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Great photos!! Thanks for posting those, Kathy.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in PDX. You really crammed in a lot of stuff in two days. The Chinese Garden is a real gem, but even I have never done a jetboat tour. I must hie it down to the Esplenade and checkitout. And of course, there's always another Brew Fest to look forward to.

N.B. I am now in possession of the kokoleash, in case anyone was wondering what became of it ...
Old Aug 3, 2003, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You really crammed in a lot of stuff in two days.</font>
Uh, well, actually, I stayed an extra day!

Anyhow, the jetboat ride (I took the 2-hour version) combines narrated sightseeing and thrills. The pilot always warns you, though, when he's about to spin the boat!

Kathy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.