FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Cow Do XV (EZE) - Aug 30 to Sep 02, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1946367-cow-do-xv-eze-aug-30-sep-02-2019-a.html)

Zorak Aug 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA (Post 31477959)
I've just gotten settled in at my hotel. Needed to relax a bit because I ended up with a headache after the flight, I think due to dehydration and lack of sleep. I think I'm down for the count tonight but would love to hear if anyone's planning something tomorrow!

Which hotel?

I know a couple of us are going to the free concert (posts 155/185 in the thread). Probably do lunch afterwards.

I'm leaving tomorrow evening unfortunately but I'm sure a dinner plan will coalesce as well.​​​​​​

MSPeconomist Sep 1, 2019 6:20 am

Which hotel? I'm planning to eat dinner tonight, but I don't know where/when.

Zorak Sep 1, 2019 7:54 am

@soupxxxx @MSPeconomist it's open seating... I'm about halfway down on the left although only one seat now open next to me. We can find each other afterward I guess...

soupxxxx Sep 1, 2019 9:54 am

Concert

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31479174)
@soupxxxx @MSPeconomist it's open seating... I'm about halfway down on the left although only one seat now open next to me. We can find each other afterward I guess...

Sorry I missed you. I was about halfway down on the right. I enjoyed the concert and hope you did too!

Zorak Sep 1, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by soupxxxx (Post 31479472)

Sorry I missed you. I was about halfway down on the right. I enjoyed the concert and hope you did too!

Yes, I thought they played very well!

I stuck around a little bit to see if I could find you afterward but failed :(

I'm back at my hotel but would be interested in meeting up for lunch if anyone wants to get together...

FlyingCow Sep 1, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31479483)
Yes, I thought they played very well!

I stuck around a little bit to see if I could find you afterward but failed :(

I'm back at my hotel but would be interested in meeting up for lunch if anyone wants to get together...

Hi all! I’m glad you enjoyed the concert :)

I'm roaming around Palermo Hollywood and am about to head for lunch at La Pescadorita (Humboldt 1905, with Costa Rica). Never been there, though I like their meaty counterpart La Dorita, and I feel like seafood right now. If anyone is close by and wants to join you are more than welcome!

Zorak Sep 1, 2019 10:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCow (Post 31479541)

I'm roaming around Palermo Hollywood and am about to head for lunch at La Pescadorita (Humboldt 1905, with Costa Rica). Never been there, though I like their meaty counterpart La Dorita, and I feel like seafood right now. If anyone is close by and wants to join you are more than welcome!

What time? Ms Everywhere +1 and I were going to go to as place across the street from our hotels shortly, but could possibly change up plans.

EDIT: on second thought I think I'd rather stick closer to the hotel since I have to be out by 4pm. Maybe next year :)

FlyingCow Sep 1, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31479556)
What time? Ms Everywhere +1 and I were going to go to as place across the street from our hotels shortly, but could possibly change up plans.

EDIT: on second thought I think I'd rather stick closer to the hotel since I have to be out by 4pm. Maybe next year :)

No worries. I’m already at the place and they only have tables available outside.

Let’s make a deal for the next Cow Do :D

MSPeconomist Sep 1, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingCow (Post 31479541)

Fishy cow? I'm not feeling so great, so I skipped lunch (and probably should have skipped breakfast). I think I've just been eating too much. However, I have always enjoyed steak at La Dorita.

BTW, Argentina has apparently re-introduced currency controls, supposedly limiting the amount of money that Argentina citizens/residents can change. Exchange rates are expected to change further (in the same direction) on Monday, with a possible re-emergence of blue rates. YMMV. [This might be a garbled version of the changes.]

M60_to_LGA Sep 1, 2019 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31477987)
Which hotel?

I know a couple of us are going to the free concert (posts 155/185 in the thread). Probably do lunch afterwards.

I'm leaving tomorrow evening unfortunately but I'm sure a dinner plan will coalesce as well.​​​​​​

I'm at NH 9 de Julio. I now have to meet a work colleague for dinner tonight but will be free in Palermo Soho later this evening.

EDIT: Meeting him at 8 in Palermo Hollywood, then was planning to hit a bar or two in Palermo Soho afterwards. If anyone is around and would like to be my drinking buddy/ies, I'd love the company! I was thinking of trying Sullivan's, just north of Plaza Cortázar, and then .... who knows?

Zorak Sep 1, 2019 2:52 pm

It was great seeing everyone again! Wish I could've stayed another day or two.

Currently in the *A lounge at EZE. I swear I'll go back to eating responsibly tomorrow...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...203c3a8a8f.jpg

MSPeconomist Sep 2, 2019 5:38 am

Good morning. Just in case there's any doubt, I'm skipping lunch today, but of course I'll be wine tasting.

rxgeek Sep 2, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31480265)
It was great seeing everyone again! Wish I could've stayed another day or two.

Currently in the *A lounge at EZE. I swear I'll go back to eating responsibly tomorrow...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...203c3a8a8f.jpg

Great to see you again.

Flying Machine Sep 2, 2019 9:08 am

It’s always great to share and learn from other peoples travel. Thus, I’m living vicariously through you guys this weekend at the Cow Do. Besides a few posters, the thread has been rather quiet. I assume you’re all communicating via PM and out touring around.

With that said, curious to know what things that you found that you liked in the city, areas, events, restaurants, off the beaten finds?? (That we’re not in the official itinerary) Hope you’re all enjoying. Happy Labor Day to those US participants

MSPeconomist Sep 2, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm at EZE, in the Centurion lounge. Chandon sparkling (brut, delice, and rose) plus a bunch of Terrazas Reserve varietals.

rxgeek Sep 2, 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31483573)
I'm at EZE, in the Centurion lounge. Chandon sparkling (brut, delice, and rose) plus a bunch of Terrazas Reserve varietals.

Interesting. I read that this wasn't a "real" Centurion lounge and they restricted access to specific Airlines.

rxgeek Sep 2, 2019 4:53 pm

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...43b408d28f.jpg
Some of the Cow Do gang at Trattoria Olivetti. Grateful for our new friends. ​​​​​​​Kudos to Alex and Flo for a very memorable time. But thanks to them I can no longer buckle my belt on the last hole.
​​​​​​​

MSPeconomist Sep 3, 2019 4:19 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek (Post 31483684)
Interesting. I read that this wasn't a "real" Centurion lounge and they restricted access to specific Airlines.

It is a real one from our point of view, meaning that Plat card implies entry and Centurion card gives access to the inner sanctum with meals ordered from a menu and served.

However, the bad part is that lots of local credit cards give entry privileges to the entire family, so at times it's packed with wild rowdy children running around unsupervised, screaming, touching food, and standing on the furniture. There's a separate play area for kids, but I've never seen a child using it.

rxgeek Sep 3, 2019 7:37 am

Checking out at 3:00. Hope to be relaxing in the LATAM or AA lounge by 4:30. Then we just wait for the inevitable AA delays.

Zorak Sep 3, 2019 9:47 am

Stepping on the scale at home this morning was not pleasant :-/ such is the price to pay for a long weekend of good wine and good food with friends... :)

(The beers I had on my layover in Houston probably didn't help either :p)

Gaucho100K Sep 3, 2019 10:52 am

On what appears to be the last (official) day of this Do, with just about everybody "departing", I wanted to once again express my Gratitude to all of you for attending, it was great to co-host (together with FlyingCow) everybody for another great weekend of Food & Drink here in Buenos Aires. As I always say, its great that you come, but its even better that you leave thinking that you want to come back !!!

I look forward to seeing all of you here in 2020.... or, who knows, perhaps sometime before the end of the year...???? ;)

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

2RETIREDTRAVELERS Sep 3, 2019 11:47 am

We have fear after 3 months in Argentina

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 31485868)
Stepping on the scale at home this morning was not pleasant :-/ such is the price to pay for a long weekend of good wine and good food with friends... :)

(The beers I had on my layover in Houston probably didn't help either :p)

Sitting in the American lounge stuffing our face

soupxxxx Sep 6, 2019 5:57 am

Thanks to Alex for organizing and to Alex and Flor for co-hosting! Thanks to Cyborg for sharing a wonderful bottle of wine at his last supper. Thanks to (I don't remember who) for sharing a bottle of South African liquor. Thanks to Monica and Willow for sharing their ride to EZE. Thanks to Zorak for suggesting the concert at Theatro Colon on Sunday. Thanks to all for a memorable Cow Do!

Note to Alex: My 6 bottles of wine arrived home with me safely and no tax.

Gaucho100K Sep 6, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks for letting me know your bottles arrived safely !!!

Cheers,
Alex

Originally Posted by soupxxxx (Post 31496524)
Thanks to Alex for organizing and to Alex and Flor for co-hosting! Thanks to Cyborg for sharing a wonderful bottle of wine at his last supper. Thanks to (I don't remember who) for sharing a bottle of South African liquor. Thanks to Monica and Willow for sharing their ride to EZE. Thanks to Zorak for suggesting the concert at Theatro Colon on Sunday. Thanks to all for a memorable Cow Do!

MsEverywhere Sep 9, 2019 7:52 am

All,

I wanted to thank Alex and Flor for hosting the event, and I enjoyed seeing the old friends and making new ones.

I also wanted to apologize that during some of the events I had my nose buried in my cell phone. For a while, the hurricane had a bulls-eye so I was dealing with that and with other issues. Nevertheless, I arrive home safe to find no damage since only skirted eastern Florida.

Hope to see y'all next year!

Gaucho100K Sep 9, 2019 10:23 am

MsEverywhere--- no need to apologize, Dorian has many folks worried and juggling schedules, arrangements, etc. Also, you are the Empress of the COW DO, so you have special privileges.... :D LOL

cyborg Sep 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by soupxxxx (Post 31496524)

I still have a bottle of the 2015 Noemia we enjoyed at the "Last Supper" along with a 2006 so if anyone wants a refill in the Northern Virginia area, just let me know :-)

Alex and Flor, many thanks for another great weekend plus of amazing food, wine and BA culture!

Looking forward to the next opportunity to visit.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

DLroads Oct 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Leave aside the aMOOOOzing experience at a cowDO... alex knows how to pick some damn good wine! over the weekend, a proper celebration required proper wine... so the 2007 Bodega Catena Zapata Estiba Reservada I acquired via Gaucho100K made it to the table. Two and half hours later, 35 dollars corkage, and 26 oz steak later, all were very happy. Even the waiter who got a taste. Well done Gaucho!

MSPeconomist Apr 4, 2020 7:58 am

I was just looking for the 2020 COW DO thread but couldn't find it, so I guess I'll post here in the hope that Buenos Aires fans see the information:

There are a lot of cheap business class fare to Buenos Aires posted in the Premium Fare Deals forum now, including BA from MAD, AM from YVR and IIRC LAX, AZ, etc. Of course, check the refund rules carefully as for all we know Argentina could sadly be in a lockdown by September.

Eastbay1K Apr 5, 2020 12:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32263117)
I was just looking for the 2020 COW DO thread but couldn't find it, so I guess I'll post here in the hope that Buenos Aires fans see the information:

There are a lot of cheap business class fare to Buenos Aires posted in the Premium Fare Deals forum now, including BA from MAD, AM from YVR and IIRC LAX, AZ, etc. Of course, check the refund rules carefully as for all we know Argentina could sadly be in a lockdown by September.

Be in a lockdown "by September?" It was one of the first countries in a total lockdown, and the borders have been shut for some time.

cyborg Apr 5, 2020 7:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32263117)

I would not expect those deals to be available for long and they will be risky given the service reductions going on.

AA just loaded schedule changes with reduced capacity to BA. I was booked on 931 from MIA in Biz using AS MP with a 6 hour layover from DCA. Got lucky this time when AA chopped 931 and moved me to the earlier flight 907 now showing a 3 hour layover.

In any case, I made plans to attend the 2020 Cow Do back in January and have air and hotel already in pocket. Biggest concern now is how the recovery phase of this crisis plays out and how resilient Argentina will be in the next few months.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

Eastbay1K Apr 5, 2020 10:21 am

Originally Posted by cyborg (Post 32265832)
I would not expect those deals to be available for long and they will be risky given the service reductions going on.

AA just loaded schedule changes with reduced capacity to BA. I was booked on 931 from MIA in Biz using AS MP with a 6 hour layover from DCA. Got lucky this time when AA chopped 931 and moved me to the earlier flight 907 now showing a 3 hour layover.

In any case, I made plans to attend the 2020 Cow Do back in January and have air and hotel already in pocket. Biggest concern now is how the recovery phase of this crisis plays out and how resilient Argentina will be in the next few months.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

Without getting "too" off topic on this, Argentina's biggest problem (IMnshO) for this in the future is Brazil, where the national government is still taking this even less seriously than Trump was a month ago. That is a huge visitor origination point for Argentina, and opening things up too quickly will only cause Argentina to have a problem it doesn't need.

Zorak Sep 1, 2021 6:45 am

Various "N years ago" features are showing me posts/photos from past Cow DOs :-/ hoping we can all meet again next year, if not sooner!

Gaucho100K Sep 1, 2021 12:14 pm

I wish I knew for sure when the next EZE Cow Do & Wine event will be held.... for now, Im crossing my fingers that November may be a date where US Tourists can start re-entering the Country. If this is the case, perhaps we can organize a delayed Cow Do before 2021 comes to an end......

Stay Tuned !!!

MSPeconomist Sep 1, 2021 4:07 pm

I hope so, but my employer has a policy that discourages even personal/leisure international travel. Moreover, with hybrid work (for now), the testing requirement before flying back to the USA concerns me.

FlyingCow Sep 2, 2021 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 33536283)
I wish I knew for sure when the next EZE Cow Do & Wine event will be held.... for now, Im crossing my fingers that November may be a date where US Tourists can start re-entering the Country. If this is the case, perhaps we can organize a delayed Cow Do before 2021 comes to an end......

Stay Tuned !!!

So you’re saying there’s a chance? Crossing fingers and toes! :)

wandering_fred Sep 3, 2021 4:03 am

Will Argentina open its borders before Australia?

A question about wandering?

Fred

PS: Almost certainly

Gaucho100K Sep 6, 2021 7:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCow (Post 33537721)
So you’re saying there’s a chance? Crossing fingers and toes! :)

Well..... Im certainly open to organizing a delayed Cow Do once the borders are again open to Tourists. Some sources sat that November may be the date for fully vaccinated visitors to re-enter the country. Today, Sep 6th is the start of a "trial" program that allows visitors from Chile and Uruguay to enter... lets hope that goes well.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Gaucho100K Sep 6, 2021 7:44 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred (Post 33540436)
Will Argentina open its borders before Australia?

A question about wandering?

Fred

PS: Almost certainly

See post above...... Australia has taken a very drastic approach, I think even more restrictive than Japan. Lets wait and see and hope for the best. Are Australians allowed to go on vacation out of the country....? If so, what are the restrictions upon return...?

wandering_fred Sep 7, 2021 8:42 pm

Serious permissions required to exit.
Quarantine on return (if you can find a flight - as there are capacity limits)

No wandering
Fred