whlinder (+ Lisa)
sbrower
Viajero Joven
MrOak
dguruswamy
pderby
Joh
ozstamps

Excellent suggestion from mdtony to meet at staccato bar/piano lounge which their website says is: "located between Dupont Circle and the heart of Adams Morgan at 2006 18th Street NW in Washington, DC".

Means zippo to me, but I am sure locals will know what that means. I understand bar and light food and decent priced drinks are the go at staccato, so seems like a fine choice. Be nice to catch up with left coaster sbrower again.

Joh and I (United being vaguely on time) are fine for say 8.30pm Friday .... is that suitable to others? Please add a post Yes/No to time, and a confirm for attending if not already done, and mdtony I am sure can arrange us a table or two together for then when we have a firmer number and time.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 08-07-2002).]
Old Aug 5, 2002, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
A 6 p.m. arrival (I'm assuming you have bags to pickup) and a 7:30 p.m./8:00 p.m. dinner seems like a bit of a stretch.. Lets say you get out of the terminal at 6:30 p.m... grab a cab or shuttle.. I can't see you in DC before 8 p.m. at the very earliest..

66 Eastbound is a parking lot from the IAD Toll Road/66 East interchange every night.. but a Friday is twice as bad. If you are checking in first.. then I would guess there is no way you make an 8 p.m. dinner.

Just my opinion.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
mdtony - sounds neat.

We arrive from a United SWU "Not-A-Stopover" (23 hours) in DEN this time, so no customs hassles at IAD. So if it suits anyone, we'll be able to be wherever at more like 7.30pm or 8pm.

thezipper ... have you flown Concorde yet or are you about to? Might have a spare BA bag tag to bring if you do not have one.

</font>
Old Aug 5, 2002, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks Trojan Horse. Much appreciated getting the local inside info.

mdtony it seems was showing great wisdom and experience of the Friday traffic in suggesting 8.30pm in his first post above. Yes, we had planned to check in first at Hilton. Seems like that is the sensible timeframe to aim at.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Aug 5, 2002, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">66 Eastbound is a parking lot from the IAD Toll Road/66 East interchange every night .... but a Friday is twice as bad. </font>
Hmmm, paying $50-$60 with tip for a cab is never a prospect that excites me - especially when I convert it to Pacific Pesos.

If road traffic is likely snarled we might be better getting the Flyer Bus to West Falls Church Metro and then into town for $5 day pass? Is there any MetroRail station near the Embassy Row Hilton? I can see Dupont Circle on the route map, but not sure where the Hilton is at. Sorry to bother with transport questions!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Glen,

Looks like you are in good shape to use the Metro from the Hilton:

Washington's Metro system provides a clean, safe, fast way to get around the Washington DC area, and because The Hilton Washington Embassy Row is located 1/2 block from the metro system's red line, our guests are just minutes away from all the sites and sounds of the capital city.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:15 am

Yep!

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/a...tyhocn=DCAERHF

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One half block from the Dupont Circle Metro stop </font>
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JeffS:
Washington's Metro system provides a clean...</font>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Aug2.html

Just kidding, I love the Metro, it is great.

You've probably got a 1/2 hour train ride from West Falls Church to Metro Center, then switching to the Red line to Dupont Circle. At www.wmata.com you can get exact train times.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 8:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Is there any MetroRail station near the Embassy Row Hilton? I can see Dupont Circle on the route map, but not sure where the Hilton is at. Sorry to bother with transport questions! </font>
Oz, it really depends on how much stuff you are carrying with you. If you are travelling light, Metro is definitely an option, because you'll be within walking distance of the Hilton there. However, if you have a lot of stuff to carry, then I would say that you'll have to suck it up and get a cab, because it would be very difficult to get on the Metro with all your bags during rush hour.

I would offer to pick you up, but the problem with that is my car is small and doesn't have a lot of room for luggage and the back seat isn't something that is good for adults.

If you do take a cab, though, you do get to benefit from something. You'll get to blow by the traffic standing still for a good deal of the ride, because you will be in the airport only portion of the toll road.

[This message has been edited by mdtony (edited 08-05-2002).]
Old Aug 5, 2002, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
But that still doesn't ease the traffic where the two roads (airport express part of the toll road and the local part of the toll road) merge about a mile before the 66 East interchange.. its at this point where the traffic comes to a grinding halt... and the ride becomes pure misery all the way into the district.

as posted by mdtony: If you do take a cab, though, you do get to benefit from something. You'll get to blow by the traffic standing still for a good deal of the ride, because you will be in the airport only portion of the toll road.

[This message has been edited by mdtony (edited 08-05-2002).][/B][/QUOTE]

Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
But that still doesn't ease the traffic where the two roads (airport express part of the toll road and the local part of the toll road) merge about a mile before the 66 East interchange.. its at this point where the traffic comes to a grinding halt... and the ride becomes pure misery all the way into the district.</font>
I've never done that part of it, since I usually head right on up the Beltway home. However, here's a way to get around that. Have your cabbie go on the Beltway towards Maryland -- the on the inner loop usually don't extend over the American Legion Bridge. Then have him take the GW Parkway towards DC, get off at the Roosevelt Bridge, and then take the E Street exit to 18th Street and then he ought to be able to get you to the hotel from there.
Plus, since Oz isn't going to be driving, it's a lot easier on him =)
Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
But that still doesn't ease the traffic where the two roads (airport express part of the toll road and the local part of the toll road) merge about a mile before the 66 East interchange.. its at this point where the traffic comes to a grinding halt... and the ride becomes pure misery all the way into the district.
</font>

The bus to the metro stop has a shoulder lane to use if traffic is bad. In a cab even on a Friday, at 7:30 there is still congestion but it is not horrible. My guess is that it will slow for a couple of miles between the merge of the toll road and I66 to the Ballston exit.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 1:14 am
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
Thanks for the great transport info folks. Looks like Lisa is now on the list, so MarriottGirl and I will not be the only females there.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whlinder:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Aug2.html

Just kidding, I love the Metro, it is great.

You've probably got a 1/2 hour train ride from West Falls Church to Metro Center, then switching to the Red line to Dupont Circle. At www.wmata.com you can get exact train times.</font>
Now THAT is an interesting article. Something to really look forward to Friday.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Aug 7, 2002, 7:16 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Re. Dulles traffic and transport: Metrobus has the route 5A which goes directly from the airport into DC with only 2 en route stops: Reston/Herndon/someplace in Dullesland and Rosslyn-- which is immediately across the river from Georgetown. The 5A ends at L'Enfant Plaza. The metro stops at both Rosslyn (Orande and Blue) and L'Enfant Plaza (all but Red). From Rosslyn you can ride the "Georgetown Shuttle" every 10 minutes into Dupont-- less backtracking that way.

I have the event firmly penciled into my calendar. I should be able to see you guys there.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 8:00 am

Looking forward to what I am dubbing Ozfest. Only there will be no drunk, washed up, strung out, old rockers there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.