Search

Kiva (nonprofit) Microloans: FlyerTalk Lending Team

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Kiva (nonprofit) Microloans: FlyerTalk Lending Team

It has been a while (02 August 2008) since the FlyerTalk Lending Team came together to make microloans to deserving entrepreneurs through the nonprofit Kiva. We have a thread discussing the loans, practices and policies here in the FlyerTalk Cares forum, but under the Rules we’re allowed to have a thread in another forum; as this is a community-based endeavor, where better than CBuzz?

Once a FlyerTalk Cares thread has been approved, you may also choose a single forum you frequent in which to post a thread for the announcement and discussion of your charitable activity. Note, however, any link to another website for the purpose of pledging financial support may only be posted in the FlyerTalk Cares thread.
So, I’ve begun this thread here in Community Buzz! because this lending team is truly a community effort, with 863 FlyerTalk members participating. Here, we can discuss and highlight some of this community effort. (No, you don’t earn interest, but you can take your money back when it is repaid - or choose to relend, of course. As a FlyerTalker, you might be more interested in whether you could earn some miles or points - that’s discussed in the FT Cares! thread.)

Originally Posted by JDiver
My approved Charity (thanks, TalkBoard!) is Kiva, which links people who want to assist others with low income entrepreneurs in developing nations (and their non-profit partners) to take out microloans to help themselves and their families.

Imagine an Internet-based Grameen Bank with a global reach, linking people all over the world. Kiva and its local partners vet the prospective borrowers and make sure the money gets back.

Lenders make no interest, but can withdraw their money as the loan is repaid - personally, I choose to relend it. No interest accrues to lenders, and we are asked to support the loan "bank" or "infrastructure," which in this case is Kiva (Internal Revenue Service 501 (c) (3) not-for profit organization to which donations are tax deductible in the USA.) You can read exactly how and why they do it here.

"We Let You Loan to the Working Poor

Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world."....
We have a thread with posts by some of the FlyerTalkers Lending Team right here.

I think we might hit a huge milestone $5 million dollars lent by our team by the end of this year! If you’re looking for a worthy charitable endeavor, please consider joining our team.

For now 1 Oct 2018 0900 Pacific)

Impact

863 team members (FlyerTalkers)

$4,950,775 lent to date (0900 Pacific 1 Oct 2018)

58,566 individual loans (most typically are $25 loans)

67.9 loans per member

Rankings Across All (Kiva lending) Teams

#9 for Amount Funded (Last Month)

Rankings In Common Interest Category

#8 for Amount Funded (All Time)
#8 for Amount Funded (This Month)
#5 for Amount Funded (Last Month)

As we approach the holidays, Kiva offers ways to give a hand up, rather than a hand out, to needy people - and through reports, etc. watch their endeavors grow. You can choose to fund efforts meeting your interests by occupation (e.g. IT, agriculture, crafts), country, gender, etc. (I became interested because in spite of seeing many apparently very needy people during my travels I know handouts may be misused, earned fraudulently, encourage dependence on begging, etc. Now I can make sure “my buck makes some bang” because professionals and community members vet those deserving loans, often provide them with the support and education to ensure their success, and micoloans can be very empowering.

$5,000,000 lent in ten years! FlyerTalk powered change for good.
boxo likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Bump

you hit the 5 M
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Ceres
Bump

you hit the 5 M
That’s a milestone to be proud of. A little chunk is mine - the big bucks are from the total of 870 FlyerTalk Lending team members.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.