Wiki Posts
Search

News on Ruth's Chris Steakhouse founder

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2002, 8:55 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

News on Ruth's Chris Steakhouse founder

Please note: I don't know where to put this, but this COULD be Community related since the second Catman DO 2 in NYC in 2000 was hosted here, and I had some great times with some great Flyertalk friends at this place.

Ruth Fertel, the founder of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, died earlier today of cancer.

More details on the company Website:
http://www.ruthschris.com

Again, move it, close it, but I thought it might bring for some of you memories of some fun times there.

Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What better way to honor her than to eat a great big filet, cheesy potatoes and broccoli (with cheese, of course) this evening? I know what I'm having for dinner.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 9:28 am
geo1004

Thanks for the link Catman. I have many good memories of Ruth's Chris and FlyerTalkers but none more memorable than the Catman-koko-geo dinner at Ruth's Chris overlooking DCA.

Old Apr 17, 2002, 10:13 am

She actually passed away yesterday.

The company she founded is one of the very few based in Louisiana to make this kind of impact on our culture.

Being a native of Southeast Louisiana, I'm proud to have seen the company expand and be successful.

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only visit to a Ruth's Chris was in Hoboken w/ the catman!

Although Austin Powers wasn't there, the Heinekens led to a swingin' good time. Yeah Baby, Yeah!
Old Apr 17, 2002, 11:41 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Thanks for the mention, Cat. My first experience with Ruth's Chris Steakhouse was at my first FT Gathering in New Orleans. Almost everyone had left for the weekend, and I had arrived on Sunday. We (Catman, burkey, and Ling) had a very nice dinner at the FIRST Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. There have been many other good times, FT or personal, that I've enjoyed a petite filet (medium rare) here. I like the homemade dressings, and the au gratin potatoes made with Tillamook cheese.

Linda
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:03 pm
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ling:
There have been many other good times, FT or personal, that I've enjoyed a petite filet (medium rare) here.</font>

I prefer the Cowboy Ribeye, med. rare.

Old Apr 17, 2002, 2:29 pm

As a longtime patron of Ruth Fertel’s restaurants, I was really saddened by this news. Many years ago, Ruth’s Chris held a contest to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the steak house and offered those completing the contest an award of a private party for 30 friends at any restaurant of choice. One had to dine at 30 different restaurants and had to have a special Ruth’s Chris passport stamped by each restaurant visited. Back then, there were not as many restaurants in the chain, California alone only had 3, in San Francisco, Palm Desert and Beverly Hills, so completing this challenge was no small task. As December rolled around, we finally made it to our 30th restaurant in New Jersey. When the staff noticed our 30th stamp, the manager introduced himself, offered us complimentary drinks and dessert, as many other managers had also done as we neared our 30th entry in our passport.

We had a terrific time with this contest and had “our story” published in the quarterly Ruth’s Chris newsletter along with the other winners. Once the newsletter was available at our local San Francisco restaurant, we decided to go in for dinner, only to be warmly greeted by the manager and staff and be comped our entire meal, not once, by again when we returned a week later. Although we were insistent on paying for our meal, they refused our payment. What a great restaurant.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 11:22 pm

There was a full page memorial to her in todays USA Today Money section.

I remember the dinner when Catman and I met for the first time, in NYC at Ruth's Chris...
Old Apr 18, 2002, 2:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I've only been to Ruth's Chris in Taipei and Hong Kong and enjoyed both visits. It seems the late Ms. Fertel had a consistently good product, with excellent service.

I hope to honor her memory with a future visit to a Ruth's Chris location .

And on a related note...

Grilling red meats has been linked to the creation of cancer-causing compounds called heterocylic amines (HCAs).

The use of certain marinades and/or consumption of antioxidant-rich red wine or strong black tea with grilled red meats can help hault the harm caused by these compounds.

Perhaps there's a doctor in the house who can further elaborate on this.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 04-18-2002).]
Old Apr 18, 2002, 6:51 am

Thank you Catman. My fondest memories of Palm Desert are of the excellent Ruth's Chris. It is truly one of my favorite restaurants worldwide. All other steaks that I have eaten are judged against what I have eaten here.

I only know of one place which comes close (in St Paul Minnesota), and although I have eaten in Ruth's chris elsewhere, they lacked come of the panache of the Palm Desert.

I have never attended any of the Do's as I have always been the wrong side of the Atlantic, but am sure that they were great fun if some of those who I have met and love through this Board are any judge.

Best Wishes

Paul
Old Apr 18, 2002, 7:47 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Bad spelling causes cancer, too.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Raffy, do you recall the year of the contest?
Old Apr 18, 2002, 6:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hedoman:
Raffy, do you recall the year of the contest?</font>
Well, last year was the 35th Anniversary, so it was 6 years ago then, counting the current year.

It was a very long year indeed.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
I fondly remember my first visit with Catman in NYC last may. And if I recall correctly, our very own Catman still carries his pass from the 30-visit promotion Thanks, dude!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.