Reload this Page >

Not-so-random acts of appreciation for fellow FT'ers

Old Aug 9, 01, 12:56 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond

On part of that LONG and unfortunately quixotic thread re the United Cxn software at
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../006718-7.html

I said the following in regards to Flyertalk:

...I have never been a part of a place, a community, that is, overall, so helpful, special, and civil. There are people I've "met" here who I like better than people I actually know and who I would trust implicitly (even having never "really" met them).

So this is just a thread, if any are interested, to offer a word of appreciation for fellow flyertalkers.

I'll start:

crankyusi and LAX UA 1K for their knowledge of helpful intra-California UA fare lore (and encouragement!), and to psychonesque for a generous spirit.

That's just for starters. Your turn?
Old Aug 9, 01, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
There are people I've "met" here who I like better than people I actually know </font>
What do you mean, better than people you actually know? Those FTers are people whom you actually know, even if you've never been face to face with them!

[This message has been edited by pshuang (edited 08-09-2001).]
Old Aug 9, 01, 1:19 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
pshuang ,

Good point!
Old Aug 9, 01, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An FT'er once gave me a pair of slippers from his FC suite on SR!
Old Aug 9, 01, 4:16 am

YogiBear , for 3 SWUs giveaway (I still owe him a gift, what a shame...).
Old Aug 9, 01, 7:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Just too, too many...

The first time I ever met Rudi (when he joined me on a flight SJU-ORD) he handed me a SWU...and this was in 1998, when SWUs were very, very, very rare.

Sitting in the Club at the Staples Center has got to be near the top of great experiences...thanks, Stimpy.

Then there are all the Cubanos from Premex's stash.

And of course Tropical and the pashmina in DUS

QL and his brother answered all my stupid questions in Phuket.

And one time Punki showed me the troll!!!

[This message has been edited by kokonutz (edited 08-09-2001).]
Old Aug 9, 01, 8:08 am
geo1004

Wow!

Let's see...

1. One UA 1K FT'er read that my 6'5" stepfather was flying coach r/t from from IAD-SIN. They called UA and arranged for my non-Premier step-father to be assigned exit row seats there and back. It was koko.

2. Three words: Arrivals by Rudi

3. Steaks and Sam's w/ the Catman.

4. Wine and Cheese in SEA at the home of Punki & Hunki

5. And, of course, backtracking through museums in AMS after breaky with the fan 'o chex.

Old Aug 9, 01, 10:44 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I have had my life changed by the generosity of some Ft'ers: to wit:

1) Paul Palmer and Dhammer53 who so generously gave ideas and time to try and get my dying friend a copy of the newest Harry Potter book before it came out. These 2 men didn't know me from proverbial Adam when I put out the call ...

2) An VERY generous FT'er who upgraded me from Coach to Biz on the way back from my mother's memorial service. I will never forget that...

3) Another FTer who gave tremendous support to me for the SF pizza party I was trying to plan in the midst of my mom's illness...

4) Dhammer who drove thru the wilds of Weschester County to give us a ride home after an exquisite dinner in Pleasantville NY..if Dan ever tries to get you to go to the Iron Horse Grille - GO!

5) An FT'er who gave me a 500 mi upgrade ..which I combined wth a one way upgrade to get mr. squeakr and I his first ride in Firrt Class....

There are more wonderful times but these are the incredible generous moments that stand out for me.. and always will..

can't believe how crummy my typing is..edited because I felt like it

[This message has been edited by squeakr (edited 03-13-2002).]
Old Aug 9, 01, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Randy Petersen, for graciously hosting this board and picking up the check at dinner on more than one occasion, including my first ever FlyerTalk dinner.

Catman, for meeting me at EWR over a connection and taking me to a great restaurant in downtown Newark.

People that have hosted FlyerTalk events I've been a guest at, like Punki, Catman, flyme2, and squeakr.

A very generous soul who wishes to remain anonymous, who gave me several upgrades on Alaska.

L'etoile, who took me out for a great day on San Francisco Bay on her sailboat.
Old Aug 9, 01, 1:13 pm
Commander Catcop

The greatest "random act of kindness" we all give each other is...

The Gift of FRIENDSHIP!

Miles and points and other things are very nice too, like the icing on an original glazed Krispy Kreame Donut.

As for random acts I experienced... too many to mention here but oh so special.

Go call a FLyertalker or e-mail a Flyertalker and thank them for their random acts of kindness.

So thanks everyone!
Old Aug 9, 01, 7:10 pm

[This message has been edited by pynchonesque (edited 03-13-2002).]
Old Aug 9, 01, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Too many to mention but my OMNI has to be at the top of my list (thanks again Rudi and Catman). Complete with a wonderful time with Gisela and Rudi at Wengen, the Bear restaurant, my first Sidecar (mmmmm), the train to the top of Europe, and a personalized visit to a bird sanctuary/research area arranged by Rudi. I was in heaven. And a first class train ride back to Geneva from Zurich!

The incomparable arrivals by Rudi of course and a hot shower after a week of cold showers in Africa (plus the most kind offer of tickets to the French open that I had to sadly turn down so I could get back home for my daughter's graduation ceremony).

All of the FT events I have attended--PiP, FAQ, Altbier, Party in Vancouver (thanks to all the organizers and volunteers, they have all been special events).

Steak with the Cat dude in NYC (Thanks Catman)!

The meal and special cake at Le Gavroche (thanks Rudi and Gisela)

Dinner courtesy of Marty and Rae (we do miss her)in Scottsdale.

Upgrades from Dorian and others.

Fancy footwork by Ken hAAmer in helping to secure an award for my daughter to PiP. Help above and beyond the call of duty, even though in the end I didn't need it.

The good feeling you get from helping someone out who is down, lost or just in need of a "pick me up", by just providing company, an upgrade, a lounge pass, a free flight, a free meal, drink, information etc.

The many thanks I have gotten (as well as all the original info from many Flyertalkers) for the Star Alliance Comparison Chart.

PremEx's Unofficial United Page (please bring it back in whole or in part)

Offers of condos in Mexico and the Costa del Sol, though I was already committed so I could not take up the offers.

etc etc. It's a great community that I try to show respect for by giving back to others for all the wonderful help that I receive here.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 08-09-2001).]
Old Aug 9, 01, 8:22 pm
mjm
Original Member

I have to say that belle3388 and her tireless search for Starbucks mugs for my collection (she has given me to many to count) have touched me very much.

The Tokyo visitors for their pure happiness at experiencing my (our) city.

bbincchi for the intro to Sam's Wines and the Capital Grille in Chicago. Love that city!

Squeakr for doing an absolutely amazing job of oraganizing totally selflessly the most international pizza party I have ever attended.

And many others for the advice and kind words during the time I have been with you here.

Has to be the best gang of fellow travel fanatics on the planet.

If I did not mention you by name, put it down to lack of sleep. You are not forgotten.

Mike

------------------
a FlyerTalk tradition continues in November 2001 in Cannes, France......

Check the PiP 2001 Website or the FT Topic for details and news.
Old Aug 9, 01, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
. . . and how could I forget the great acts of kindness from our board provider, Mr. Randy Petersen.

little gifts in the mail
drinks and the meal at PiP for a whole gaggle of people (and I know he didn't just do it for the credit card points)
Old Aug 10, 01, 12:14 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Thank you Rudi and emailman (Tommy) for guiding me to the community

Bernie and Mizu for organizing the Dusseldorf meet (my first) and Bernie for inviting us to his pad for drinks

Magic111 for initiating my many returns to AMS
Squeakr and Mike for organizing the pizza party
Santa (dgold) for being what else? FT Santa!

and many many more of you who have emailed me privately when I asked for help: Punki, Gm99, ChrisMoss, Loco Miler, Spiff, GG, Lex, Mvic, dgordon, the FT lady who was born in Amsterdam (sorry i forgot your handle), Doc.... the list goes on
(my apologies in advance for not recalling your name at time of writing)

both my life and English vocabulary have enriched because of ALL of you FT'ers!

Search this Thread