Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Not-so-random acts of appreciation for fellow FT'ers

Not-so-random acts of appreciation for fellow FT'ers

Old Aug 10, 01, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I have been enriched a thousand times a thousand and am even afraid to start trying to name names of my wonderful FT friends who make my life so much happier, because I could never name them all.

My dear, now departed to a better place, friend johna who graciously sent me my very first UAL upgrade when I first switched airlines.

The whole WWW.www crew, who were my very first face-to-face FlyerTalk party friends--AnnaS, Comicwoman and Mauld.

Everybody who has ever come to visit me here in Seattle and the list is way too long to recount, but I will mention Transworld One because he comes from my old stomping grounds in Wisconsin.

My most wonderful and beloved brother Rudi for way more reasons than I could ever recount.

Everybody who ever hosted or participated in hosting an event that I attended -- essxjay, Bernie, flymetoo, Tropical Flyer, Newself, Stimpy, Quiet Lion, Catman, Rudi, PremEx, dgolds, Johna, Captain Mike, Sandiego1k, and everybody else that I forgot.

Koko, Beckles, auh20, geo1004 and Chexfan for making me feel almost as young and foolish as I used to be.

mweiss, kyklin, scaredofKGB and ausTXHiker for being amazingly smart and at the same time totally loveable.

smooth, travelweary, spvii and estnet for being wonderful women friends whom I can respect and admire.

All the kids for their energy and ingenuity, including but not limited to goldlust, Markbach,etc.

Jetsetter for teaching me how to go sight seeing.

OK there are a whole bunch more but I'll have to do them later.

Old Aug 10, 01, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
What a beautiful topic! Makes me hope I can meet some of you face to face. FT is such a helpful, friendly community. I thank all of you for the information and advice you have given me both directly and indirectly!
Old Aug 11, 01, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
tvl4free....for such an outstanding explanation of the technical aspects of mileage runs, giving me the courage to try one!
Old Aug 12, 01, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Goodness ... where to begin?

Thanks ....

To PremEx aka Cyndy, the first FTer I ever met, for bringing me in as your guest at the ORD RCC that day in August two years ago; for the fine Habana you gave me then; and for saving your sheep tales for another time. Thank you also for the upgrades to Catman's Do in March of 2000. It was my first time in C on 763 - I was thrilled. I owe you a round of ring-toss.

To the magnanimous Punki, who runs the best [email protected] boat hotel in all of Seattle!

To Rudi, Bernie and Mizu, for hosting the fabulous Doozy in Dusseldorf get-together. Extra special thanks to Bernie for opening his beautiful home to a bunch of lunatics!

To kokopuffs and geo1004, for their endless faux-rivalry that never ceases make me chuckle over my morning coffee.

To MattWald for treating me to SWUs for the DUS Do; for his tireless attempts to make United sit up and pay attention to its customers; and for teaching me the ropes to using the RCC on Int'l flights and finagling my way out of ridiculous change fees; and for being a much sweeter guy than he lets on.

To newself, for whom I would go without a worthy trash-talking partner. Aside: Lakers s*ck!

To the gentle Catman, who epitomizes the spirit of friendship that is formed on FT.

To nathan detroit, my biggest fan, supporter and all-around great guy.

To QuietLion, for his superb writing style and trip reports.

To Randy Peterson, for hosting this space, even in the face of intense criticism at times.

To crankyusi and tvl4free, for their invaluable segment-run advise. A special nod to cranky, who by the grace of the Baht run, made his 4-year-old son a 1K!

To LawLord and LarryU, my local FT buddies, for their astringent wit.

Finally, to dgolds, the classiest guy on FT and the brother I never had.

Cheers all!

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 08-12-2001).]
Old Aug 12, 01, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Gee,

Where do I begin?

Magic111 for hosting me and mrs.dhammer at his home. (And we only met once on the Brooklyn Tour during the CatmanDo).

Transpac for offering me a SWU.

hobson for basically acting like my personal banker.

anna who sent me an upgrade cert so that I could fly in style to the PIP in November.

tom911 for the drink certs and those wonderful stories.

crankyus1 for being a good trading partner.

violist who was my 'secret' santa. I got my first upgrade cert from him just after I got here last fall. I remember telling my wife how great FT was.

catman for all his hard work at the Do's. We've all met lots of flyertalkers because of him.

markbach for all his enthusiasm at the tender age of...

doc for all those posts. I actually have learned a thing or 2 from them. But don't tell anyone I said that.

All the other folks who I accidentially left out.

Dan
Old Aug 14, 01, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Someone could probably write a book from all the posts here about Rudi's hospitality. The best thing I can say about him is that I try to emulate his generosity to other flyertalkers as much as I can. This is a kind of virus that we can all appreciate.

To the dozens and dozens of other Flyertalker friends I have, you know who you are!
Old Aug 14, 01, 7:22 am
geo1004

Yes. A wise man once said that when presented with a tough problem with no readily apparent answer he askes himself the question What would Rudi or Punki do in this situation?

9 times out of 10...

Old Aug 14, 01, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1004:
Yes. A wise man once said that when presented with a tough problem with no readily apparent answer he askes himself the question What would Rudi or Punki do in this situation?

9 times out of 10...
</font>
another FT money making idea - lapel pins of
WWPD?
and
WWRD?
Old Aug 14, 01, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:

All the other folks who I accidentially left out.

Dan
</font>

jeez dan....thought you'd remember ME ....
Old Aug 15, 01, 10:06 am

Programs: Bootless and unhorsed; once a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold
An incomplete list:

Randy Petersen, for inviting us into his cyberspace living room;
crankyusi, for valued tips and ideas in our e-mail exchanges;
LarryU, for snagging an extra certificate from the JFK Red Carpet Club, which I put to good use;
mjm, for introducing me to a little corner of Singapore; and
essxjay for our spirited discussions about flying and many other things; if FT were feudal, essxjay would be the Countess of Oregon, or higher.

------------------
"Yes, but at least mine will be found in a first class seat." -- Peattie and Taylor
Old Aug 15, 01, 11:49 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Uh, Law Lord, there aren't many active females from Oregon on FT.
Old Aug 15, 01, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ling, does that mean that there are inactive females from Oregon on FT?
Old Aug 15, 01, 1:12 pm

Programs: Bootless and unhorsed; once a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold
True, but we must start somewhere.

Also, adding Washington to her ambit would infringe on the realm of the estimable Punki.
Old Aug 16, 01, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To Randy for letting us play here

To DOC for saving me days searching the web for new info

For the "regulars" in the BA, CX and Hilton area's

To everyone else for keeping FT a fun and informative place to visit!
Old Aug 17, 01, 1:43 am

There are so many that I can't begin to name names but I have never ever met such a loyal, caring and devoted group of people before in my life. Some of you know my story, some of you don't, either way I love you all, owe you all and will never forget any of you.

The one name I will put in is Randy Peterson.
Randy, your board has been the light I needed in my life for a long time. Thank you for your efforts and generosity.

------------------
What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Search this Thread