Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will We Ever See Another South Florida Meet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will We Ever See Another South Florida Meet?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
I'll be in the area Feb 13 to ~16. I've already booked my flight to get there, but have not booked the return yetI will be in South Florida at least until the 16th for a convention. If something comes together around that time, I can book my return for a later date.
We suggest the February 22nd or 16th as good dates around which to schedule a meet. Even if it is not a good time for many out-of-towners to come down here, considering the season, at least the locals will be get together, meet each other, and possibly start something ongoing (see such threads as DC Happy Hour and Munich Stammtisch).
Traveller likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by monitor
We suggest the February 22nd or 16th as good dates around which to schedule a meet. Even if it is not a good time for many out-of-towners to come down here, considering the season, at least the locals will be get together, meet each other, and possibly start something ongoing (see such threads as DC Happy Hour and Munich Stammtisch).
I could make Feb. 16 work.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let's start thinking about the weekend of February 15-17. Might as well make it Fort Lauderdale or further north to get some less expensive hotels ("less expensive" is strictly relative at that time).

However, Miami is good with us since this is FT and there might very well be a whole bunch here who have points to burn (raises hand) at one or the other of the chain hotels.

If I get any help, I will do some of the organising so if there are some who will post here that they are in, we can make the date official, have a Mod change the title of the thread, and create a wiki.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Hey guys that week is presidents day weekend I'll love to finally go to a FL DO. I'll be out of town in SF. One of the lucky ones here that gets all banking/govn't holidays off. Then next weekend the is Miami food and wine fest the 22-24.
I've been to a DC Happy hour as a guest. Would you guys consider another weekend, or are you really set?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
Hey guys that week is presidents day weekend...
Whoops. I did not realize that when I proposed the date and, although it is OK with me, it would be too much of a problem for any visitors. Since I will be around almost every weekend in the first quarter, I will cede the date selection to others but will still stay ready to help with restaurants, events, and suggestions for independent exploration.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
In attempt to bring this thread and the possibility of a South Florida DO back to life, just want to throw some dates out there and see which weekend would work for most of you, before we start a new thread.

How's the first weekend in April (4/5-4/7) or first weekend in May (5/3-5/5)? Or if you prefer the holiday weekend, we can do the Memorial Day weekend?
boxo likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That May weekend looks best to me since it is after Easter, the snowbirds are gone, and it is much easier to deal with restaurants and bars which suddenly gain great appreciation for their year-round customers. Memorial Day weekend is bad since it is a holiday and a strong tourist destination for Florida.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I’d be interested in the May date, have not been to MIA in a few months. Don’t like the area that much between Christmas and Easter.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The April date looks possible from here. We'll be in Japan in early May.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Independent
I am a New Englander but head down there pretty frequently. I'd love to join in. Memorial day weekend would probably be a bit harder for me, but the other two would work well.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I live on beach SW of Tampa and could make it. But only if invited. And please keep in mind, as I am from the RED part of the state.

Last edited by Ceres; Feb 10, 2019 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ceres
But only if invited.
Nobody gets an invitation to a FT meet but everyone who posts here is automatically invited.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Ceres
I live on beach SE of Tampa and could make it. But only if invited. And please keep in mind, as I am from the RED part of the state.
FT DO's are non-political events. That subject is not allowed and rarely brought up. Travel, miles, points, wine, food and many other topics usually come up, but never politics.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOB W
FT DO's are non-political events. That subject is not allowed and rarely brought up. Travel, miles, points, wine, food and many other topics usually come up, but never politics.
Great I am in, and pretty much open to dates if I don't have family in town. Those pesky snowbirds keep coming and visiting me when its near zero outside their house.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Ok, why don't we go ahead and pick May 3-May 5 as the next dates for our South Florida DO? This way our friends who live further away can plan ahead. We can stay with Boca Raton with the Embassy Suites as our "official" hotel as in the past or we can try to move the location further south, like in Fort Lauderdale or Miami area? I personally think we should stick with Embassy Suites as we do take advantage of their evening manager reception. Your input is much appreciated. You may send me a pm if you'd like. Should we start a new thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.