Reload this Page >

Do the fall in Boston! Boston Do, 10/2.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
Given the weather, we will likely be indoors. Please ask at the front for Mike or Flyertalk. When in doubt, look for my blue backpack, which goes everywhere with me.

Yes:
Mikeef
ramkashyap
CDKing
diburning
CMK10
World2Travel
ZapperO
GoGreen
Marathon Man
Whiskarina

No:
ddrum2000
JY1024
hi55us
90% of JRL767

Maybe So:
financialhippie
violist
navi_jen
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

It's back, and better than before! Well, it's back, anyway.

The Boston summer Do is on the way and, with any luck, we'll be outside on the patio at Kinsale. I'm scheduling it for Tuesday, October 2 at 6pm. For those who are new, and we like new victims for our ever-growing army of the undead, it is relatively casual and located by the Government Center T stop.

Do I need to bring anything? Just your ideas and a notebook to write stuff down. Remember, what happens at the Do stays at the Do. These things tend to get a little wild and crazy.*

Does it cost anything? No, unless you order food or drink. If you do, one person will pay the check and you should pay that person what you spent, plus 25% for tax and tip. Keep track. Those who underpay will be set up on a date with Marathon Man.

Are you a weird cult or trying to sell me something? As to the first part of the question, we spend half our life on Flyertalk debating intangible assets. What do you think? As to the second part, no. We promise not to sell you anything bought or processed. Or buy anything sold or processed. Or process anything bought or sold.

Will I have fun? Yes!

Did the OP just copy the stuff from the last Do because he's too lazy to re-write it? Of course, but the last Do's post was perfection. Why fight it?

I'm going to try and figure out how to start a wiki above so you can indicate as a yes, no or maybe (unless you are a certain moderator who shall remain unnamed, who is not allowed to use the "maybe" label). Since we do need to make a reservation, please try to have an answer by the end of September. Obviously, there's no such thing as a hard deadline. If you don't have wiki access, just leave a note in the thread and I'll update it. And while it's usually mostly Boston people, we really appreciate it when out-of-towners come, so we can hear a little about the outside world.

See you soon!
Mike

*No Boston Do in the history of the world has ever gotten wild and crazy. Maybe wild. Maybe crazy. But never both.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Ill be there as usual
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Platnium, TK Elite Plus
I have to teach that night. Too bad
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I will be there. YES
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flight prices are cooperative and I don't have much on my calendar for 10/2 so I'll be flying up to join y'all for dinner.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
A Tuesday this time? Sure! I'll be there!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning
A Tuesday this time? Sure! I'll be there!
We aim to please.

Mike
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Ahhh shoot I have class that night in October Probably can't make it, but I'll add myself as a maybe for now
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:46 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Per usual, I’m a totally solid “maybe” for that evening!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
Per usual, I’m a totally solid “maybe” for that evening!
We'll make a note of it.

Mike
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ok, for someone only VERY peripherally familiar with the T and the Silver Line, when would I realistically need to depart the DO to catch a 9pm AA flight (carrying my laptop in a shoulder bag, 99.9% confident of getting TSA Pre)?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
ok, for someone only VERY peripherally familiar with the T and the Silver Line, when would I realistically need to depart the DO to catch a 9pm AA flight (carrying my laptop in a shoulder bag, 99.9% confident of getting TSA Pre)?
Absolutely. I'm on a 9 PM jetBlue flight so we can head out there together. And if the DO runs long, we'll split an Uber.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Blue line station (Government Center) is across the street. From there, you can take it to the Airport station where you can board a MassPort shuttle bus to the terminals.

Uber/Lyft would normally be the fastest, but you'll be leaving at the tail end of rush hour, so I think public transportation is probably a safer bet.

Personally, I'd budget 30 mins before flight departure for boarding, and maybe another 10--15 for TSA just in case (this is with PreCheck). The subway takes about 10 minutes to get from Government Center to Airport (with stops in between), and the terminal shuttles probably take another 10 mins at most. American is located in Terminal B (Terminal B stop 1 on the shuttle, as there are two Terminal B stops), and JetBlue is located in Terminal C.

So, if your flight leaves at 9PM on the dot, the latest you'd want to leave the Do to be safe, would be around 7:30PM, earlier if you want to be extra safe. As far as the Do running long, people are free to come and go as they please. The Do doesn't end until the last person wants to leave (Sometimes we have an afterparty at the bar long after the main Do ends)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by diburning
Blue line station (Government Center) is across the street. From there, you can take it to the Airport station where you can board a MassPort shuttle bus to the terminals.

Uber/Lyft would normally be the fastest, but you'll be leaving at the tail end of rush hour, so I think public transportation is probably a safer bet. ...

So, if your flight leaves at 9PM on the dot, the latest you'd want to leave the Do to be safe, would be around 7:30PM, earlier if you want to be extra safe. ...
thx ... gotta see if the DC work calendar will permit an early escape that afternoon but flights are booked (AS miles, worst case I’m out $38 for partner award redemption)

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 7, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
I can't make this, but while considering it, turned up this airfare deal on American for ORD-BOS flights for $78. Maybe it will be sufficient for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.