Secret Santa 2018 Official Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secret Santa 2018 Official Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I just signed up! I love shopping and giving gifts so I am looking forward to this!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks all...seems like I was worrying for nothing. As a FT newbie, I was so excited about registering, I probably left some goodies out of my wish list. FT SS old timers, would I be correct in assuming it's not uncommon for FTers to 'stalk' their SS (reading other posts contained within FT) to learn more about their giftee? I think my forgotten goodies are mentioned in other threads

Thx!
Perfectly acceptable.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks all...seems like I was worrying for nothing. As a FT newbie, I was so excited about registering, I probably left some goodies out of my wish list. FT SS old timers, would I be correct in assuming it's not uncommon for FTers to 'stalk' their SS (reading other posts contained within FT) to learn more about their giftee? I think my forgotten goodies are mentioned in other threads

Thx!
It is acceptable to do that. Others frequently offer to serve as the intermediary and ask questions as well.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:58 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Santa note.... anyone is free to send me an updated sign up if there was information they left or out or want to add.... only requirement is that it be a complete message with all your information as I will delete the older one. or ones!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Looking forward to another fun year 😁
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, Amex, HH, MP
ding, checking in fellor santas! Add another santa strip for this guy, by far one of the coolest things I get to do every year!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got it in!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
PM'd. Looking forward to my first secret santa exchange
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
So, you actually have to have gone out-of-pocket for this? Too bad, because I don't drink and someone gave me a bottle of Highland Park 50 for my 25th anniversary that I would Santa to someone...

Oh, well...
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by frontenac551
I'm about to send my PM, but a couple of questions:

1) I live in Geneva (i.e. place where things are expensive!), so I worry that my person may suffer since $50 doesn't go as far here as it does in other places (though I'm okay going a bit over).

2) When do gifts usually go out (I know that this may differ between participants)? I'm generally away the last two weeks of December, but wouldn't want to change my mailing address as I bounce around traveling those two weeks. I can still get mail here, but not sure how long the post office will hold things if it is too big for the mail box.

Thanks.
Just a suggestion on the shopping...

I've found sometimes the most cost effective way (lowest shipping & handling, currency conversion costs) to shop for someone in another country is to find an online store in the recipient's home country and order from there. Not for SS, but for family I costed out sending gifts airmail to the UK and it was sky-high. Ordering from AmazonUK saved a lot on both cost of gifts and shipping, and then there were no customs problems, either.

Of course if you don' have budgetary limits, sending gifts representing your home area is really nice.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by erolland
I signed up - first time! It'll be fun to bring some merriment to another adult's life (I know that at the holidays, in my house, it's all about my kids' merriment, not mine - I imagine that I am not alone in this )
For any number of us this becomes a family event. My teen gets very involved in helping select the gifts I send and has several times wrapped gifts for me that arrived unwrapped - he confiscates all boxes even vaguely suggestive of Secret Santa stuff until the 24th and hides them.

For people who post about their families I've included gifts for little ones or pets as well as the adult. Somebody here, Redhead maybe? has posted about wonderful storybooks her young daughter has received and how much they are loved.

But it is really nice to send and receive "grown-up" special stuff!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm in again. I always have a lot of fun doing this
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Woohoo! PM sent! Can’t wait to have the little red fellow in my avatar.

I love this time of the year precisely because of FT Secret Santa
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by frontenac551
1) I live in Geneva (i.e. place where things are expensive!), so I worry that my person may suffer since $50 doesn't go as far here as it does in other places (though I'm okay going a bit over).
Swiss chocolate (Calliers / Villars) is tremendous value to send to someone abroad, if you ask me You just don't get those outside of Switzerland.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by thebigben
Swiss chocolate (Calliers / Villars) is tremendous value to send to someone abroad, if you ask me You just don't get those outside of Switzerland.
Unless someone has a severe nut allergy. Then sending them those can be deadly, depending on the type. I tend to stay away from food because of that. I have been known to send beer or wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.