FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Confirmed:
  1. ANC RED-EYE
  2. GrjApp
  3. nomadic.relief
  4. krazykanuck
  5. MSPeconomist
  6. Seat 2A (lunch Saturday, tentative dinner Sunday)
  7. beckoa (so far no train)

Schedule:

Friday
  • Early arrivals – do your own thing - see post #2 for suggestions.
  • Happy Hour: LaVelle's Taproom, mobile pizza from Hungry Robot for a snack.
    • GrjApp
    • ANC RED-EYE
  • Dinner - 7.30 PM - Jazz Bistro
    • GrjApp
    • ANC RED-EYE
Saturday
  • 11:30 - depart for early lunch in Fox (brief stop to view the Alaska pipeline en route)
  • Noon - lunch Silver Gulch Brewery Reservation for 6 confirmed; please RSVP to @ANC RED-EYE if you need to be added or removed from the presumed attendee list posted here.
  • 2:00 return to hotel
  • 2:30 shuttle/uber/cab to train (we want to be there an hour prior to departure so we can get tables together)
  • 4:00 train
  • 8:00 return (MSPeconomist believes the return is 8:30 rather than 8:00)
  • evening - tbd

Sunday

Per MSPeconomist As of September 20th, tickets were still available. The train has a capacity of 240 people, probably in three cars, and all tables seat four.

The train people told me to plan to arrive about an hour early for the train, but they don't deny boarding if you get there at 3:01 pm. A photo ID is needed to get your ticket. I plan to also bring a hard copy of my email ticket confirmation.
Print Wikipost

The 2nd 2018 Alaska Mini-DO - HooDoo Choo Choo, Fairbanks, AK Sept 28-29, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Well I'm in.

Bob I'll make you a deal. If you join I'll bring you a bottle or two of Texas' finest wines for you to enjoy on the train and you can give me your complementary beers!
Having just spent several days tasting awesome wines in the Okanagan wine region of British Columbia., and previously tasted not so great wines produced in Texas, I will kindly skip this offer.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm in too, and I would love to trade beer for some wine. I'll even drink wine from Alaska.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Bump! We’re just over a week out. As of this past weekend, there were still train tickets available.

Given some late Friday arrivals, Silver Gulch will become our lunch venue for Saturday instead of dinner Friday.
Is there interest in dinner someplace downtown on Friday night? I'm arriving a day early, in the middle of the night between Thursday and Friday, and staying at the Springhill Suites (Marriott).

BTW, SHS has rates of $75 per night for anyone with some sort of a military ID. AAA etc. rates are under about $110. Free airport shuttle 24/7.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there interest in dinner someplace downtown on Friday night? I'm arriving a day early, in the middle of the night between Thursday and Friday, and staying at the Springhill Suites (Marriott).
Unfortunately I'm arriving at about midnight Friday. Also staying at the Springhill so good to hear that they have a 24/7 shuttle.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: US, HH
I'm in too, and I would love to trade beer for some wine. I'll even drink wine from Alaska.
It just so happens that Alaska does have wine - http://www.gotastewine.com/ak-wineries.php
Just not anywhere near Fairbanks. The Bear Creek Winery in Homer had some interesting berry based wines, and iirc, also some from grapes sourced elsewhere.

Last edited by GrjApp; Sep 23, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I have updated the wiki with schedule info and post #2 with some suggestions for things to see/do and some places for food/drink. Feel free to add any additional suggestions to the wiki as well.

The weather so far looks to be fair, so fingers crossed it stays that way.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:36 pm

I have updated the wiki with schedule info and post #2 with some suggestions for things to see/do and some places for food/drink. Feel free to add any additional suggestions to the wiki as well.

I've been told that Alaska has wine, but I've never tasted any, although I have enjoyed a couple Canadian wines (other than the Inniskellan ice wines from around Niagra Falls). BTW, I only drink wine made from grapes and not other fruit, honey, vegetables or whatever.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:38 pm

It just so happens that Alaska does have wine - http://www.gotastewine.com/ak-wineries.php
Just not anywhere near Fairbanks. The Bear Creek Winery in Homer had some interesting berry based wines, and iirc, also some from grapes sourced elsewhere.
The link in this post (which I meant to quote above) doesn't seem to work for me, so I'm quoting it in hopes that the link in the quote will work. [This is a trick that IME works quite often on FT.]
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

The link in this post (which I meant to quote above) doesn't seem to work for me, so I'm quoting it in hopes that the link in the quote will work. [This is a trick that IME works quite often on FT.]
I fixed the link in the original post (seems one has to manually add the link).
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

I fixed the link in the original post (seems one has to manually add the link).
Got it. Thank you. [I knew that there were wineries near Anchorage and some located some distance from Anchorage, but I never saw the complete list.]

Now, who wants to trade wine for beer on the beer train (assuming that it's OK to bring wine on board)?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:41 pm

What does "weather looks to be fair" really mean? I've been seeing lows around 40 and highs around 50 for Fairbanks. Do we need to worry about ice and snow in September?

Also, with the train departing at 4 pm, will one be able to see much? What time does it get dark now in Fairbanks?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:09 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Funny - I had no trouble getting to the page; of course, I don't recall if the link worked for me or not, as it would have been second nature to copy/paste the URL as backup if the link itself did not work.

Got it. Thank you. [I knew that there were wineries near Anchorage and some located some distance from Anchorage, but I never saw the complete list.]

Now, who wants to trade wine for beer on the beer train (assuming that it's OK to bring wine on board)?
Do you not like beer at all? Note that this was kind of intended to be a primarily beer event. re: Alaskan wine - if that is a goal, I think some of the places use grapes, but really any wine you find here would be a novelty and heavily focused on fruit wines. Those that bring in grapes certainly are doing it only as a novelty type thing to make your own batch, I believe. I have never really sought out local wine. All that said, I definitely would do some online research or call them directly before BYOB on the train - something tells me that will be frowned upon on this particular train. @CDKing - any recollection from your previous experience on the AK beer train based in Anchorage?

What does "weather looks to be fair" really mean? I've been seeing lows around 40 and highs around 50 for Fairbanks. Do we need to worry about ice and snow in September?

Also, with the train departing at 4 pm, will one be able to see much? What time does it get dark now in Fairbanks?
40 degrees in Fairbanks is going to feel just about exactly like 40 degrees in MSP - our freezing point is pretty identical to yours, so you probably won't see any ice. As I have not had a chance to google the precise answers to weather and sunset, I will defer to other capable googlers...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
40 degrees in Fairbanks is going to feel just about exactly like 40 degrees in MSP - our freezing point is pretty identical to yours, so you probably won't see any ice. As I have not had a chance to google the precise answers to weather and sunset, I will defer to other capable googlers...
Sunset (today at least) is around 7:45 pm, so we ought to have a good view of everything on the outbound, and at least partially on the return. The weather does look pleasant though, sunny/partly cloudy and in the 50s during the day over the weekend.

Does anybody have firm Sunday plans? I'm considering renting a car and wondering out of town towards Denali for the day.
ANC RED-EYE likes this.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Sep 23, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I didn't see anyone with their own alcohol on the ANC version. Based on today's sunset time it will probably be similar to when I did one in October where the last hour or so was dark, at least there was a band to help pass the time.

I thought about going but no luck finding saver space for the return and now can't take any time off work.
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Some suggestions for things to do in your own time:Places to eat/drink - let me know of others to add to the list!
Just to pipe in on this list. I have done everything on the attractions list here, and they are all worthwhile...well, except maybe the Santa Clause house, which is just kitschy. However, if you want your Christmas cards postmarked "north pole" bring them up and I think there is somewhere you can drop them so that they'll get sent out in Early Dec bearing the "famous" postmark The UAF museum of the north is truly excellent, as is the auto museum. Unfortunately the off season presents some challenges, still it may be worth contacting any place you are interested in seeing as they may open by appointment in the off season.

As for the restaurants:
  • LaVelle's taphouse seems to have The Hungry Robot Pizza food truck on Friday nights. I just messaged them to confirm.
  • I also messaged Hoodoo re: food trucks and additional events for the weekend and got this reply: "Hey there! Looks like Mein Diner on Friday, Golddigger Dogs on Saturday and Sunday. We will be pouring a whiskey barrel aged Stout on nitro next Sunday. We can’t wait for the Choo Choo!"
  • Jazz Bistro I have never been to, but it looks intriguing and has live music on Friday evenings.
  • The Crepery was a great downtown lunch stop on a past trip. Really enjoyed their crepes!
  • Lunch Cafe and Eatery is also a fantastic breakfast, coffee, and lunch (soup/sandwich) choice!
  • Thai House and Lemongrass are the 2 most highly rated Thai restaurants. I have been to and can recommend both!
  • The Cookie Jar (breakfast/lunch) and Pump House are both well known Fairbanks institutions. The Pump House I enjoyed for dinner (though it wasn't a standout for me), I had a relatively negative experience with service at The Cookie Jar...so can't necessarily endorse that.
  • And now for the worst possible news, I'm afraid I must report that Hot Licks (Fairbanks' famous homemade ice cream) is closed for the season).
GrjApp likes this.

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Sep 23, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.