FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Confirmed:
  1. ANC RED-EYE
  2. GrjApp
  3. nomadic.relief
  4. krazykanuck
  5. MSPeconomist
  6. Seat 2A (lunch Saturday, tentative dinner Sunday)
  7. beckoa (so far no train)

Schedule:

Friday
  • Early arrivals – do your own thing - see post #2 for suggestions.
  • Happy Hour: LaVelle's Taproom, mobile pizza from Hungry Robot for a snack.
    • GrjApp
    • ANC RED-EYE
  • Dinner - 7.30 PM - Jazz Bistro
    • GrjApp
    • ANC RED-EYE
Saturday
  • 11:30 - depart for early lunch in Fox (brief stop to view the Alaska pipeline en route)
  • Noon - lunch Silver Gulch Brewery Reservation for 6 confirmed; please RSVP to @ANC RED-EYE if you need to be added or removed from the presumed attendee list posted here.
  • 2:00 return to hotel
  • 2:30 shuttle/uber/cab to train (we want to be there an hour prior to departure so we can get tables together)
  • 4:00 train
  • 8:00 return (MSPeconomist believes the return is 8:30 rather than 8:00)
  • evening - tbd

Sunday

Per MSPeconomist As of September 20th, tickets were still available. The train has a capacity of 240 people, probably in three cars, and all tables seat four.

The train people told me to plan to arrive about an hour early for the train, but they don't deny boarding if you get there at 3:01 pm. A photo ID is needed to get your ticket. I plan to also bring a hard copy of my email ticket confirmation.
Print Wikipost

The 2nd 2018 Alaska Mini-DO - HooDoo Choo Choo, Fairbanks, AK Sept 28-29, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by beckoa
As it's organized by those based in Alaska in conjunction with an Alaska flight

Fares seem reasonable to FAI from ANC. Either $69 OW or 5K miles. I just am uncertain about trying to pull it off as I typically don't have weekends off, and I'm taking a substantial # off already next month.

Lodging looks reasonable however.
Originally Posted by GrjApp

Neither of the above is true for the HooDoo Choo Choo DO!

Besides, last I checked, PIT is in PA, not AK. An AK DO is by definition - - - located in the great state of Alaska! But you’re welcome to call the PIT DO an AS DO if you wish
Alaska is slowly conquering the lower 49

And @ANC RED-EYE is a co-organizer I think and we do accept transplants.

There's a flight at 9:54 PM (AS308) I'm tempted to book as a return flight to ANC. I'd work Sunday- just question the sanity of trying to make it from the train depot to airport in 30 minutes...
Well, @beckoa - you can continue to live under whatever delusion you want to, but almost none of the AK DO's for all of history have had anything to do with an AS flight...so, I think the DO name has to do with the great 49th State, not the airline...lol. In fact, I would guess that the majority of participants at most AK DO's don't even arrive or depart on AS flights....

Additionally...weren't the first couple of *Alaska* DO's actually planned by someone from some other state? Yet it was still called the "Alaska Spring Break DO - March 2009" Not the "[Some other state] Spring Break DO - March 2009" which would have been...exceedingly confusing

So...continue to live with whichever delusion floats your boat...there are no absolute rules here. If you want to call the *Pittsburgh* DO and Alaska DO - by all means, go for it

Re: the flight - since when are you concerned with "sanity?" Isn't that more time than you left yourself in JNU?? @BOB W has shared some pretty good reports from other airports as well. 30 minutes gives you about 28 to spare compared to your normal standard... You can do it!!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:21 pm

There's a flight at 9:54 PM (AS308) I'm tempted to book as a return flight to ANC. I'd work Sunday- just question the sanity of trying to make it from the train depot to airport in 30 minutes...
Wait, the published arrival time of the train is 8:30 p.m. Per google maps, it is a 12 minute drive from the depot to FAI. In all honesty, that does seem like quite a lot of cushion, I don't think the risk of missing the flight is particularly significant.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Wait, the published arrival time of the train is 8:30 p.m. Per google maps, it is a 12 minute drive from the depot to FAI. In all honesty, that does seem like quite a lot of cushion, I don't think the risk of missing the flight is particularly significant.
That was my thought as well...assuming the train isto on-time. I don't know AKRR's punctually.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, @beckoa - you can continue to live under whatever delusion you want to, but almost none of the AK DO's for all of history have had anything to do with an AS flight...so, I think the DO name has to do with the great 49th State, not the airline...lol. In fact, I would guess that the majority of participants at most AK DO's don't even arrive or depart on AS flights....

Additionally...weren't the first couple of *Alaska* DO's actually planned by someone from some other state? Yet it was still called the "Alaska Spring Break DO - March 2009" Not the "[Some other state] Spring Break DO - March 2009" which would have been...exceedingly confusing

So...continue to live with whichever delusion floats your boat...there are no absolute rules here. If you want to call the *Pittsburgh* DO and Alaska DO - by all means, go for it

Re: the flight - since when are you concerned with "sanity?" Isn't that more time than you left yourself in JNU?? @BOB W has shared some pretty good reports from other airports as well. 30 minutes gives you about 28 to spare compared to your normal standard... You can do it!!
I'm referring to the State of Alaska conquering the "lower 48+" Moreso people moving out and bringing our culture with us. Wasn't intending on referring to the airline. Last time we *had* to fly *AS* it was actually operated by *KS* (who is now in hot water). Aka Deadliest DUT Do.

Talked to some @ work today- strongly tempted. Could even do a day trip for this- but interested in sharing a room Friday night. Don't think I can swing Sat-Sun. Now- do I use cash or miles?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingOrNotGoing
Can't attend but I'll be the train dispatcher on duty this day so I'll be there in spirit, booze trains out of Fairbanks are always a blast.
Perhaps you can join us for a meal or something during the weekend?
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:13 pm

I believe in BRW he was still returning the rental van as boarding commenced.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
That was my thought as well...assuming the train isto on-time. I don't know AKRR's punctually.
Well we certainly aren't the JR but I'm confident 8:30pm is a good time to be back in Fairbanks. The train leaves at 4pm and its 1.5 hours to Nenana, half hour to change ends and another 1.5 hours back to Fairbanks. So they are going to be killing time to be back at 8:30pm. Enjoy the trip!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, HH
Thanks for that info! Really looking forward to the trip. Definitely let us know if you want to join for a meal sometime that weekend.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I'm so jealous.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rxgeek
I'm so jealous.
So what’s your excuse?

Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:41 am

I'm so jealous.
Originally Posted by GrjApp

So what’s your excuse?

lol - yes! Seems the only reasonable thing to do is channel that jealousy to action.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
No money left after Iceland trip
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

No money left after Iceland trip
Sounded epic though ^

Still am looking at FAI, need to look a bit more at this- had some enticing discussions last night
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Bump! We’re just over a week out. As of this past weekend, there were still train tickets available.

Given some late Friday arrivals, Silver Gulch will become our lunch venue for Saturday instead of dinner Friday.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well I'm in.

Originally Posted by BOB W
Having to have been paid to spend way too much time in FAI for work and my ambivalence towards beer I will need to pass on this one. Have fun and enjoy the beer 🍺
Bob I'll make you a deal. If you join I'll bring you a bottle or two of Texas' finest wines for you to enjoy on the train and you can give me your complementary beers!
GrjApp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.