FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Confirmed:
  1. ANC RED-EYE
  2. GrjApp
  3. nomadic.relief
  4. krazykanuck
  5. MSPeconomist
  6. Seat 2A (lunch Saturday, tentative dinner Sunday)
  7. beckoa (so far no train)

Schedule:

Friday
  • Early arrivals – do your own thing - see post #2 for suggestions.
  • Happy Hour: LaVelle's Taproom, mobile pizza from Hungry Robot for a snack.
    • GrjApp
    • ANC RED-EYE
  • Dinner - 7.30 PM - Jazz Bistro
    • GrjApp
    • ANC RED-EYE
Saturday
  • 11:30 - depart for early lunch in Fox (brief stop to view the Alaska pipeline en route)
  • Noon - lunch Silver Gulch Brewery Reservation for 6 confirmed; please RSVP to @ANC RED-EYE if you need to be added or removed from the presumed attendee list posted here.
  • 2:00 return to hotel
  • 2:30 shuttle/uber/cab to train (we want to be there an hour prior to departure so we can get tables together)
  • 4:00 train
  • 8:00 return (MSPeconomist believes the return is 8:30 rather than 8:00)
  • evening - tbd

Sunday

Per MSPeconomist As of September 20th, tickets were still available. The train has a capacity of 240 people, probably in three cars, and all tables seat four.

The train people told me to plan to arrive about an hour early for the train, but they don't deny boarding if you get there at 3:01 pm. A photo ID is needed to get your ticket. I plan to also bring a hard copy of my email ticket confirmation.
Print Wikipost

The 2nd 2018 Alaska Mini-DO - HooDoo Choo Choo, Fairbanks, AK Sept 28-29, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Sunset (today at least) is around 7:45 pm, so we ought to have a good view of everything on the outbound, and at least partially on the return. The weather does look pleasant though, sunny/partly cloudy and in the 50s during the day over the weekend.

Does anybody have firm Sunday plans? I'm considering renting a car and wondering out of town towards Denali for the day.
Ah, thanks for the research on sunset. It should be pretty to see sunset from the train!

No real firm plans for Sunday. A stop at Hoodoo Brewing may be in the cards. Others can better advise on how far/how much you will see with a drive towards Denali. Chena Hot Springs is a reasonable day trip too.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Now, who wants to trade wine for beer on the beer train (assuming that it's OK to bring wine on board)?
You may want to call them to check if they will have wine for purchase on the train, they likely will. Their bar car on regular trains have more than just beer, but I don't know if they have a usual bar car for a special event train. And as others suggested, ask about BYOB as well.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:15 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
re: Friday dinner for the three of us who are planning to be there, I propose:

Happy hour at LaVelle's taproom (not that they have a formal happy hour that I know of, but in the sense of pre-dinner drinks) accompanied by maybe a snack from the Hungry Robot to share (since beer usually goes better with a little food), followed by dinner at Jazz Bistro, and stick around for the music as desired. I made a reservation for 4 (thinking we may get a local or late addition) at Jazz Bistro for 7:30 p.m. So, I guess just reply here affirming that plan or suggesting something else. Any locals or late additions are welcome, of course! Just reply here or by PM so I can update the reservation if needed.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
re: Friday dinner for the three of us who are planning to be there, I propose:

Happy hour at LaVelle's taproom (not that they have a formal happy hour that I know of, but in the sense of pre-dinner drinks) accompanied by maybe a snack from the Hungry Robot to share (since beer usually goes better with a little food), followed by dinner at Jazz Bistro, and stick around for the music as desired. I made a reservation for 4 (thinking we may get a local or late addition) at Jazz Bistro for 7:30 p.m. So, I guess just reply here affirming that plan or suggesting something else. Any locals or late additions are welcome, of course! Just reply here or by PM so I can update the reservation if needed.
Thanks. I updated the wiki with the dinner plan as well - MSPeconomist, I think you're the only other person I know of who will be in town by then, hope this works for you, just add your name to the wiki for one/both of the Friday dinner stops.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I can definitely meet you all for lunch on Saturday the 29th, be it out at Silver Gulch in Fox or wherever. I might also be able to meet you for dinner on Sunday - pending a prior engagement out in Ester.

However, I've not yet seen a time for lunch on Saturday. I'll watch here for updates.

BTW, as to Fairbanks' many Thai restaurants, the Thai House is generally considered the best. It's also the original Thai restaurant in Fairbanks. It's worth noting that the Fairbanks News Miner Reader's Choice Awards gave the Best Thai Restaurant in Fairbanks award to Nim's House of Thai on Airport & Cushman. I've eaten there often - great food, so-so ambiance. For my money, Pad Thai on College Ave. is my favorite. LemonGrass has very good food, nice ambiance and service. My only real complaint is that its portions are small relative to other Thai restaurants in town (I live here - I've eaten at them all) Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll be pleased. Fairbanks is a great food town!

Seeya on Saturday!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I can definitely meet you all for lunch on Saturday the 29th, be it out at Silver Gulch in Fox or wherever. I might also be able to meet you for dinner on Sunday - pending a prior engagement out in Ester.

However, I've not yet seen a time for lunch on Saturday. I'll watch here for updates.

Seeya on Saturday!
Glad you can join us! We’ll shoot for lunch at noon on Saturday, at Silver Gulch.

Sunday dinner will be on the early side, with early evening flights back, so still tbd.

And thanks for the Thai restaurant summary - been to Thai House and LemonGrass and both were great. Would want to try the others at some point as well!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the tip about sending mail from the North Pole AFTER I left home!! :P As a somewhat related PSA, did you know kids from anywhere in the world can write to Santa and they will get a personalized response (from volunteers at Canada Post)?

Santa Claus
North Pole H0H 0H0
Canada
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here is a link to an article on Fairbanks' many Thai restaurants and some interesting history

https://www.adn.com/business/article...on/2014/07/21/
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sunset (today at least) is around 7:45 pm, so we ought to have a good view of everything on the outbound, and at least partially on the return. The weather does look pleasant though, sunny/partly cloudy and in the 50s during the day over the weekend.

Does anybody have firm Sunday plans? I'm considering renting a car and wondering out of town towards Denali for the day.
My only "Sunday" plan so far is to catch my flight Sunday night (technically Monday morning), DL FAI to SEA at about 1+ am. Oh yes, I plan to have a late (free) breakfast in the hotel. My checkout time is still TBD, but no earlier than 4 pm.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:45 pm

Just to pipe in on this list. I have done everything on the attractions list here, and they are all worthwhile...well, except maybe the Santa Clause house, which is just kitschy. However, if you want your Christmas cards postmarked "north pole" bring them up and I think there is somewhere you can drop them so that they'll get sent out in Early Dec bearing the "famous" postmark The UAF museum of the north is truly excellent, as is the auto museum. Unfortunately the off season presents some challenges, still it may be worth contacting any place you are interested in seeing as they may open by appointment in the off season.

As for the restaurants:
  • LaVelle's taphouse seems to have The Hungry Robot Pizza food truck on Friday nights. I just messaged them to confirm.
  • I also messaged Hoodoo re: food trucks and additional events for the weekend and got this reply: "Hey there! Looks like Mein Diner on Friday, Golddigger Dogs on Saturday and Sunday. We will be pouring a whiskey barrel aged Stout on nitro next Sunday. We can’t wait for the Choo Choo!"
  • Jazz Bistro I have never been to, but it looks intriguing and has live music on Friday evenings.
  • The Crepery was a great downtown lunch stop on a past trip. Really enjoyed their crepes!
  • Lunch Cafe and Eatery is also a fantastic breakfast, coffee, and lunch (soup/sandwich) choice!
  • Thai House and Lemongrass are the 2 most highly rated Thai restaurants. I have been to and can recommend both!
  • The Cookie Jar (breakfast/lunch) and Pump House are both well known Fairbanks institutions. The Pump House I enjoyed for dinner (though it wasn't a standout for me), I had a relatively negative experience with service at The Cookie Jar...so can't necessarily endorse that.
  • And now for the worst possible news, I'm afraid I must report that Hot Licks (Fairbanks' famous homemade ice cream) is closed for the season).
Just some follow up. I did get a response confirming the food truck schedule for LaVelle's Taproom: "Hungry Robot Friday, Alaska Cheesesteak Saturday, and then we never have food trucks on Sunday."

I have also confirmed a lunch reservation for 6 at Silver Gulch at noon on Saturday. I am planning on the following attendees:
  1. ANC RED-EYE
  2. GrjApp
  3. nomadic.relief
  4. krazykanuck
  5. MSPeconomist
  6. Seat 2A
Since no one has mentioned they're not coming (and there is absolutely no obligation to join, it just seemed like there was a general sentiment of interest), it might be easier if you either just decline by replying to this message, or PM if you *don't* plan on coming. And we most certainly can change the reservation to add others if there are more interested parties - just let me know.
nomadic.relief likes this.

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:58 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:39 am

Bob I'll make you a deal. If you join I'll bring you a bottle or two of Texas' finest wines for you to enjoy on the train and you can give me your complementary beers!
I'm in too, and I would love to trade beer for some wine. I'll even drink wine from Alaska.
Now, who wants to trade wine for beer on the beer train (assuming that it's OK to bring wine on board)?
I definitely would do some online research or call them directly before BYOB on the train - something tells me that will be frowned upon on this particular train. @CDKing - any recollection from your previous experience on the AK beer train based in Anchorage?
Originally Posted by CDKing
I didn't see anyone with their own alcohol on the ANC version.
Originally Posted by GrjApp
You may want to call them to check if they will have wine for purchase on the train, they likely will. Their bar car on regular trains have more than just beer, but I don't know if they have a usual bar car for a special event train. And as others suggested, ask about BYOB as well.
I did go ahead and reach out to HooDoo Brewing company to ask about other libations/BYOB on board. Here is their response:

no, sorry to say there aren’t any wine or cocktails on the train and BYO is not allowed...
As many of us hope to continue to have good customer relationships with HooDoo and the Alaska Railroad (i.e. aren't willing to risk being banned from either entity for violation of a policy), we cannot risk being associated with a group not abiding by their directives.

Therefore, we would respectfully request that anyone joining this Flyertalk group not plan to BYOB. Thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:17 am

Wow...time crept up on me! Can't believe I leave tomorrow. SDC'd to the flight I actually want, upgrade cleared immediately, now to finish packing.

As for Sunday, definitely up for something - hope to get outside somewhere; maybe a nice hike. FWIW, driving south towards Denali is a nice drive, but would repeat much of the scenery we will see from the train, I assume. Also, you wouldn't get great views of Denali until you were actually closer to Anchorage than Fairbanks.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As for Sunday, definitely up for something - hope to get outside somewhere; maybe a nice hike. FWIW, driving south towards Denali is a nice drive, but would repeat much of the scenery we will see from the train, I assume. Also, you wouldn't get great views of Denali until you were actually closer to Anchorage than Fairbanks.
Good to know. I may wear or pack some sneakers that can do a light hike. I'm off first thing AM for the long double connect to FAI. bleh. At least I've cleared the "upgrade" to C+ for SEA-FAI.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:08 am

Good to know. I may wear or pack some sneakers that can do a light hike. I'm off first thing AM for the long double connect to FAI. bleh. At least I've cleared the "upgrade" to C+ for SEA-FAI.
Watch for northern lights from the plane! Forecast is not great for our time there, but I got a nice show on my way in a week ago despite a similar forecast.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looks like I'll be in town for some of the festivities, even if the train may be sold out...

See everyone later today.
ANC RED-EYE and GrjApp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.