Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

PIT DO 2018: Post AS SEA-PIT Inaugural celebration Sept 6-9, 2018 [Alaska DO Series]

Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr_Tudball
Schedule Link

Thurs airside
(those arriving AS198 from SEA and those departing AS199 to SEA, plus any PIT local strap-hangers / party crashers )
jrl767
davetravels

Thursday dinner (Girasole) 6PMish (walk in, call ahead to let them know)
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W-confirmed
  5. davetravels - - Probable
  6. Rxgeek
  7. Rxgeek+1
  8. pgh234 - Probable

Please confirm attendance to Pamela's Diner brunch Friday late morningish:
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W
  5. DaveTravels - Hopefully not too early
  6. Rxgeek
  7. Rxgeek+1
  8. Mr_Tudball

Please confirm attendance to Meat and Potatoes dinner Friday 5 PM:
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W-confirmed
  5. rxgeek
  6. rxgeek+1
  7. krazykanuck-depending how fast I hustle from PIT
  8. davetravels
  9. Mr_Tudball
  10. AASweets
  11. DaveTravels
  12. AKronin

Pirates game at 7:05 PM 9-7-18 [ Infield Grandstand Group seating, please bring $20]
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W-confirmed
  5. Mr_Tudball
  6. krazykanuck
  7. rxgeek
  8. rxgeek+1
  9. AKronin
  10. DaveTravels will take a ticket, if it's not too late
  11. AASweets

Saturday/Sunday activities:
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. GrjApp
  5. Bob W4
  6. Mr_Tudball
  7. krazykanuck
  8. kipper
  9. DaveTravels - maybe <depends on work>

Saturday dinner SmokeNo set time yet (walk in, call ahead to let them know)
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. GrjApp
  5. krazykanuck

Hotels/lodging:

beckoa: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Green Tree Thurs-Sun
beckoa+1: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Green Tree Thurs-Sun
Bob W: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Green Tree Thurs-Sun
GrjApp: ditto above, Sat night
Rxgeek: Hampton Monroeville (near sister in law)
krazykanuck: DoubleTree Fri-Sun; Hyatt Place Pit Airport Sun-Mon
jackal: His old house
Print Wikipost

PIT DO 2018: Post AS SEA-PIT Inaugural celebration Sept 6-9, 2018 [Alaska DO Series]

Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've finally booked hotels. beckoa I'm going to be bringing you $20 for the game + the ~$50 I owe you from OzFest since none of our attempts at using new fangled 21st century e-money transactions worked Would you like payment in USD, Alaska $, Strong Zero, or a combination there of?
IIRC the last time I accepted cash from you, was $AUD.

So its only fitting if I take $CAD

Strong Zero also works Way to bring that up

Originally Posted by beckoa
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:25 am

I'm a late addition for the weekend. I am a relatively new "local", but am not in PIT much! Will plan to attend dinner Friday night and the game. If a group ticket is still available or one becomes available, I'll take one, o/w will purchase at the game.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AASweets
I'm a late addition for the weekend. I am a relatively new "local", but am not in PIT much! Will plan to attend dinner Friday night and the game. If a group ticket is still available or one becomes available, I'll take one, o/w will purchase at the game.
Still have room!

I'll add you to the wiki ^
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Saturday Supper - 9-8-18

Sometime after the @jackal reality tour... or some Irish dancing, we'll settle down for one last dinner.
@golfingboy said we needed to visit:

Smoke

4115 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15021

Please RSVP above in the wiki.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
@golfingboy said we needed to visit
Excuse me?? Um, I proposed it. @golfingboy merely confirmed my nomination. Don't give him any credit--he's not even coming to the Do, the lazy bum!!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Smoke

4115 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15021

TripAdvisor says this place is cash only! How is that even allowed in 2018, especially to be part of an FT event!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TripAdvisor says this place is cash only! How is that even allowed in 2018, especially to be part of an FT event!
Ah, crap, forgot about that. And despite going there weekly (usually for Burger Tuesday), I often forgot about it until halfway through my meal. They have an ATM in the back, but PNC next door has one that's fee-free with my bank, and that saved my bacon several times.

One time I had lost my ATM card and really wanted to hit their special burger on Tuesday despite my card not being scheduled to arrive until later that week. I begged and pleaded with them and finally the manager agreed to let me pay her with PayPal. That said, I do share your frustration with their policy--and they're totally a hipster joint with an iPad at the hostess stand and modern decor and everything, not some place that's been there 100 years and has no desire to update payment methods.

Who knows--maybe they're laundering money, but I don't care, because the food (especially the burgers on Tuesdays!) is stupid delicious.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
Ah, crap, forgot about that. And despite going there weekly (usually for Burger Tuesday), I often forgot about it until halfway through my meal. They have an ATM in the back, but PNC next door has one that's fee-free with my bank, and that saved my bacon several times.
I'll just make sure to pack a roll of quarters from the bank, or a bunch of grimy $1s!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Pamela's is too, or was the last time I was there.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Pamela's is too, or was the last time I was there.
Apparently I had forgotten about that, too.

Apparently Pittsburgh is anti-miles! Or at least stuck in the '80s...

Ha, I just discovered the Pittsburgh Subreddit. Check out the first comment here for a real look at Pittsburgh.

And for those going to the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/...rates_are_the/
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Saturday Supper - 9-8-18

Sometime after the @jackal reality tour... or some Irish dancing, we'll settle down for one last dinner.
@golfingboy said we needed to visit:

Smoke

4115 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15021

I had an employee a coupl'a years back, who lived around the corner from "Smoke", and told me how good it is. So, I took my friend there, and there was a long line to get in, and we didn't feel like waiting, so, we ended up at "Industry", just a coupl'a blocks down the shtreet. It was very good!

Unfortunately, I hava big dinner to go to Sat nite, so, I can't make it.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: US, HH
I am interested in seeing Fallingwaters. They do have a number of tours, which they advise you book in advance. For Sunday the 9th, the guided house tours have a variety of time slots open (some are sold out) and the Landscape Hike which starts at 9.30, for 1.5hrs also has spots open. They do have grounds passes and advise to call day-of for availability.

https://www.fallingwater.org/visit/t...ngwater-tours/

It is however a 90-minute drive from downtown to Fallingwaters, so keep that in mind for flights and time spent there.

jackal - is it worth the drive, given one will have to leave by ~2.00pm to deal with getting to the airport etc? My flight isn’t until 6.19pm so I have more time than those on the AS flight.

Alternatively, Saturday may be an option too and do some of the other things on Sunday?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by GrjApp
I am interested in seeing Fallingwaters. They do have a number of tours, which they advise you book in advance. For Sunday the 9th, the guided house tours have a variety of time slots open (some are sold out) and the Landscape Hike which starts at 9.30, for 1.5hrs also has spots open. They do have grounds passes and advise to call day-of for availability.

https://www.fallingwater.org/visit/t...ngwater-tours/

It is however a 90-minute drive from downtown to Fallingwaters, so keep that in mind for flights and time spent there.

jackal - is it worth the drive, given one will have to leave by ~2.00pm to deal with getting to the airport etc? My flight isnt until 6.19pm so I have more time than those on the AS flight.

Alternatively, Saturday may be an option too and do some of the other things on Sunday?
Fallingwater is nice, but having been there a few times, I wouldn't go again.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

We are confirmed for the game on Friday.

Just secured 11 tickets for those listed above in the wiki.

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
I had an employee a coupl'a years back, who lived around the corner from "Smoke", and told me how good it is. So, I took my friend there, and there was a long line to get in, and we didn't feel like waiting, so, we ended up at "Industry", just a coupl'a blocks down the shtreet. It was very good!

Unfortunately, I hava big dinner to go to Sat nite, so, I can't make it.
LOL, the exact same thing happened to me and @golfingboy. We felt the same way--surprisingly good! But it's bar food and burgers (and very crowded and noisy on weekends) and that's something not hard to get elsewhere...

Also very good and nearby is Ki Ramen, but I didn't want to take the chance that it might not appeal to some in our group. Round Corner Cantina is also nearby and does fantastic tacos (and has a great tequila list) but waits there can exceed Smoke's...

Last edited by jackal; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.