Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How long did you "lurk" before you made your first post?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2000, 3:22 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.

Just another one of those "out of curiousity" threads...

I followed links to Webflyer from another airline site about 4 times, three weeks apart, until a great hotel deal that netted me about 50,000 extra points prompted my involvement.

That would mean I lurked for about three months before participating.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 3:52 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I would estimate 3-4 months....

Dorian
Old Jun 19, 2000, 4:17 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
about 5 minutes (UA postings) in early summer 1998.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 4:45 am

maybe even less than 5 minutes
Old Jun 19, 2000, 4:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
3-4 months here, too. Posted my first message (response) in the UA category this morning.

Tom
Old Jun 19, 2000, 5:04 am
Commander Catcop

Five minutes and then I posted a question about something and someone from Inside Flyer answered it.

(I think it was about upgrading. I can't remember.)

Going OMNI now: then I get an e-mail from this wonderful gentleman offering to meet for breakfast. I told my neighbor Agnes and she said "how could you go out with a total stranger on the INternet! He could kidnap you or worse."

I said "my gutt tells me he will be a great friend to me."

So I go to the Pierre Hotel in Manhattan and wait. The gentleman does not show but I decide to wait it out.

Then the gentleman arrives. And what a Gentleman. His name: Rudi Martel.

He apologized for being delayed from his flight from Kennedy Airport. He also was surprised I waited but I told Rudi "I am a man of my word and I never stand up someone
up that i'm meeting."

And I have to admit I was absolutely terrified. Not because of the stranger aspect but becuase reading so many posts of travelers I felt I was never in your all league.

In about 3 minutes Rudi made me feel comfortable and showed me we are all human and I should never feel inferior to anyone.

What a class act! It was the beginning of my first of many beautiful friendships.

In fact, I was nervous at my first real big F-T get together: the Baobab Boston DO. Thanks to NJDavid and his beautiful wife Helen, I was more relaxed going in then before I met them at EWR.

Now I have no fears of people.

Sorry I got so verbose but this is one story that touches my hear. Thank you Rudi.

Old Jun 19, 2000, 5:08 am

It probably took me a few weeks or a month before my first post. With all of the knowledge on these boards, I did not just want to post something irrelevant. I am not even sure that waiting that time absolved me from that
Old Jun 19, 2000, 5:55 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you Catman
Old Jun 19, 2000, 7:51 am

A couple of months for me before I registered and began posting. Looking back I wish I'd started sooner, given how great it has been meeting the "FT people."

Sebastien
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
I didn't lurk too long, but it's been so long, I really don't remember how long it was. I did do a search when the "Registered In" info started showing up by our name, and the earliest post that I made was in May '98.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:33 am

'bout a month.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:42 am
RKG

I think I lurked for a couple of months. I don't remember exactly! I still do not post much, but I visit a few times a day.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 8:46 am
dg1

About ten minutes... I was very happy to find other people as interested in USAirways as me.

Old Jun 19, 2000, 9:14 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Didn't lurk, didn't post, just went straight to Party in Paradise with Cousin Craig(6z).
Old Jun 19, 2000, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leaped right in with both wings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.