Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note - I am now leaving an hour earlier.
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm going to look at Sunday Watson's bay Ferry and lunch options.
Weather Permitting on Sunday, I plan to be on the 12:17pm 11:17am ferry to Watson's bay. I'll be getting to Wharf 2 at Circular Quay by midday 11am. Feel free to join me or make your own way.

You can catch a ferry from the CBD to Watson's bay quite cheaply on Sundays with an Opal card.

NSW Transport Trip Planner - Circular Quay to Watson's Bay

Watson's Bay has quite a lot of history (see below) and some interesting food venues.

There's Doyle's on the Beach and Doyle's Wharf. Here's some links to menu's https://www.doyles.com.au/?section#location (Remember, "Entree" means "starter" or "appetizer"). There's a hotel near the wharf (https://watsonsbayhotel.com.au/beach-club/) and a few other places to eat.

I'm planning on 'takeaway' myself but if any wish to dine 'on the beach' or at the Hotel I suggest they make a booking.

After that I'm planning to walk and have a look around the area (South Head, Gap Bluff, Green Points). I will be looking to head back after 3:00pm as I 'll need to be heading to the airport by 4pm.

This whole thing is casual, doing one's own thing is the way to go.

Here's some further information:

Wikipedia - Waston's Bay New South Wales

History of Watson's bay

https://www.bestsydneywalks.com/watsons-bay-walk/

Walk Watson's Bay - Travel with Joanne

https://www.sydney.com/destinations/...st/watsons-bay

Last edited by serfty; May 25, 2019 at 12:25 am
Old May 11, 2019, 11:23 pm

Booked both dinners (2 pax) looking forward to the weekend
Old May 12, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Thinking, thinking. Not easy to plan with wife and daughter staying home in Brisbane.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
It does depend on vendor; a lot of businesses, as long as they aren't just a once a month type business now have credit card.facility.

One option bring USD, or have a credit card that can easily withdraw cash from an ATM.
Surely you mean AUD cash?

Carrying USD cash in Australia is useless outside of major hotels as it's not accepted anywhere,
Old May 13, 2019, 9:02 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

10 days to Oz Fest

If you have not booked the dinners now is the time, (including those from QLD & VIC )
For those who have not booked for Saturday dinner options other than seafood are available

Links to
Subscribe to this thread using thread tools (top of the page).
Or just click here: Subscribe to Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia
Please PM Oz Fest any information, errors & omissions or email:- ozfest at mail.com (NOT gmail)
Old May 13, 2019, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Taste of Manly is going on both Saturday & Sunday in my old neighborhood if you’re looking for daytime activities. Just hop the ferry over. I’ll likely go on Saturday.
Originally Posted by serfty
Weather Permitting on Sunday, I plan to be on the 12:17pm ferry to Watson's bay. I'll be getting to Wharf 2 at Circular Quay by midday.
I'm in for both of these.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by penegal
Surely you mean AUD cash?

Carrying USD cash in Australia is useless outside of major hotels as it's not accepted anywhere,
I will take USD and swap it for AUD.

A few times I have swapped one currency for another with different Flyertalkers.

Have you made up your mind Mr Penegal, friends want to see you,
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Got some gaps to fill in, but in the meantime, I've booked Saturdays dinner.
I guess that make me platinum
Bundy Bear and Storyteller like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Drinks 6pm Saturday 25/05/19 Hyatt Regency Bar

Those who can't make the dinner Saturday night, maybe come along for drinks and a catch-up at 6pm.
When: 6pm Saturday 25/05/19
Where: Bar, Ground floor, Hyatt Regency Sydney.

Will let you know my chosen place for Friday night 6pm soon!
Old May 15, 2019, 5:56 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Finally remembered to come over to FT and check out this thread. Got a 4.35pm VA flight (DSC) on Friday to SYD, arriving 6.10pm, so debating whether to go straight to dinner, or head to hotel, checkin and join everybody for drinks afterwards - probably will opt for the latter.

Will be there on Sat dinner, catching up with relatives during the day.

I'm on a 7pm flight home on Sunday, so the trip with @serfty sounds perfect (being an old lifesaver, love the beaches). Have an Oyster card. Are you storing your gear at Hilton or taking it with you @serfty?
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by QF WP
Finally remembered to come over to FT and check out this thread. Got a 4.35pm VA flight (DSC) on Friday to SYD, arriving 6.10pm, so debating whether to go straight to dinner, or head to hotel, checkin and join everybody for drinks afterwards.

Will be there on Sat dinner, catching up with relatives during the day.

I'm on a 7pm flight home on Sunday, so the trip with @serfty sounds perfect (being an old lifesaver, love the beaches). Have an Oyster card. Are you storing your gear at Hilton or taking it with you @serfty?
That world be an 'Opal' card - (FWIW, the London Oyster is on the way to being redundant).

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency, as a Globalist I have guaranteed 4pm checkout so will be leaving bags there.
Storyteller likes this.

Last edited by serfty; May 18, 2019 at 12:57 am
Old May 15, 2019, 6:06 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Whoops, wrong card name. Have got too many transport cards in my travel wallet. Must remember to take Miki and Gocard out and replace with Opal for next weekend.

Ah yes, of course - why wouldn't you stay there as a Globalist. I'm going to store my stuff at Hilton, as not pressed for time.

Also, @Oz Fest, Mrs QF WP is definitely not coming, I'm flying and staying solo - she used her free flights for an upcoming James Reyne concert in MEL instead. My flights are Fri 24/5 VA966 Dep 4.35pm Arr 6.10pm and Sun 26/5 VA981 Dep 7pm (for the spreadsheet)

@kirkwoodj, I'm a keen AFL'er but I'm not sure I could get back to the game in 1hr 40mins (Airport>Hilton>SCG) and don't want to put you and the other FT'ers to any trouble. May just watch it in the Exec Lounge or my room with a drink. Much as I hate the 'Pies, i can't see Swans getting up (even at home as they have a 1/4 record at present). Having said that, they may have Buddy back

Edit: Booked Sat dinner @Storyteller
Storyteller likes this.

Last edited by QF WP; May 15, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by QF WP

@kirkwoodj, I'm a keen AFL'er but I'm not sure I could get back to the game in 1hr 40mins (Airport>Hilton>SCG) and don't want to put you and the other FT'ers to any trouble. May just watch it in the Exec Lounge or my room with a drink. Much as I hate the 'Pies, i can't see Swans getting up (even at home as they have a 1/4 record at present). Having said that, they may have Buddy back

Edit: Booked Sat dinner @Storyteller
No worries, fingers crossed for Buddy’s return!
QF WP likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:15 am

Seems to be very few people tipping in to attend any Saturday activities (during the day).

I'm probably tossing between Katoomba / Three Sisters or Manly festival.

I guess like many years, perhaps it will be decided on Friday night?
Storyteller likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
World of Hyatt welcome for OzFest 2019!

Yippee!!
At 6pm in the bar on Saturday 25/05/19, look for our tables designated World of Hyatt and OzFest!

I'm delighted to be able to let the group know that World of Hyatt will be welcoming OzFest 2019 to the Hyatt Regency SYD with some starter drinks at 6pm on Saturday 25/05/19 in the bar on the ground floor!
To be eligible to partake, you have to be either coming to the Seafood Buffet 25/05/19 or Turkish Banquet 24/05/19, or be an OzFest regular.

And after the initial drinks it will be the usual cash bar until 7pm when most of us head in next door for dinner.

Thank you World of Hyatt, Hyatt Pacific & Indonesia, and Hyatt Regency Sydney!!

Cheers
Storyteller

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.