Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by QF WP
Oh yes, he exists but is renowned for having to be woken up (by me!) from his slumber when he's meant to be on the FT Bus as we departed for the day trip to Uluru. He blamed having a big night. Most of us did...so it just didn't cut it.

Thus Copper status for him is apt.
I remember the look on Penegal’s face as everybody glared at him as he finally made it onto the bus that day. But he sat next to me on the bus and really is a great guy, other than that blunder

Go ahead and upgrade me from Gold to Platinum. I’d been debating adding another city and turning this into a longer trip and staying after memorial day, but life/work commitments made it uncertain. Then I saw space for a first class award seat open up on memorial day headed back home, and I went with that to add to my previously booked award headed to Sydney. Flights to/from Sydney now are:

QF12, LAX-SYD, 5/20/19. Arriving at 6:30am on 5/22/19.
QF7, SYD-DFW, 5/27/19. Departing at 12:35pm.

I currently have a booking for the Ultimo hotel in the chinatown area for 5 nights. I’m very much looking forward to attending my second OzFest, five years later! And I'm certainly open to any other informal meetups with other early arrivers in the days before that Friday.
Bundy Bear, QF WP and penegal like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:13 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by penegal
On a slightly more serious note, is anyone organising activities for this do?
As above storyteller has raised her hand for the meals. So still need a volunteer to organise day activities. If no one steps up will become self organised during the day with organised meals. In Sydney that would work out

Seems to be several business offering Vivid Sydney hard cruises
Post 8
As Oz Fest 16 will be Sydney we are looking for a new CEO. Over the last few years this role has only been done by a few people.

The CEO needs to find & book restaurants for the Friday, Saturday & Sunday evenings. Takes a bit of research to find a reasonable restaurant for 40-50-60 people. Finding a restaurant for 10 people it is easy. Need to cater to a range of peoples dietary requirements at a fair price. Numbers tend to be firmed up only a few day before.

The CEO needs to organise some activities for Saturday & Sunday. Saturday tends to get ~75% participation & Sunday ~50% participation. Some good ideas have been suggested in the Oz Fest 15 thread.

Assistance can be given with the on-line reservation system and keeping the first 8 posts up to date.

So if you are good at cat herding and can use a Aussie Stockwhip, now it time to step forward. (It is actually not that bad)
Some one usually volunteers in January or February.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Edit
Post 78 & post 80
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Originally Posted by Storyteller
The event needs a CEO, that's not me, however I may be free to arrange dinners Fri, Sat & Sun evenings. Unless I missed it and someone else has that hat now?
Thank you Storyteller.

Your offer is greatly appreciated and accepted. ^
Still need a CEO for activities during the day
penegal likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Unfortunately Mr Fifa and I will be bronze for OzFest 16.
I cannot believe that I double booked. We are off to the Kimberley in 4WD campers with friends and they selected the date without me realising a more important date!

I know you'll all have THE best time - enjoy, and I'll be reading along with interest.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Please put me down as Platinum. Arrive early morning on the 24th.
Oz Fest likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Swans have a home match (v Collingwood) Friday night at 7:50pm, if anyone is interested. Of course waiting to see what arises for Friday evening otherwise. I am a club member so can get discounted tickets. Just putting it out there.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
We are staying at the circular quay Marriott

there is a New Mexican restaurant at the ferry terminal in manly that is fantastic if a day trip to manly is in order

you need to book it in advance , I can’t remember the name
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
I have booked flights for this (In: QF418 24 May 10:25, Out: QF467 26 May 19:30) so I guess you can make me Platinum.

Thanks. (now for accommodation).
Bundy Bear and Oz Fest like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fifa
I cannot believe that I double booked. We are off to the Kimberley in 4WD campers with friends and they selected the date without me realising a more important date!

I know you'll all have THE best time - enjoy, and I'll be reading along with interest.
Sorry to hear this sad news!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We'll miss you! Enjoy Kimberley.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Hello Mod, sorry for not +1ing

please add Jimmie Jet +1 as a Platinum

we are arriving Thursday and departing sunday

we are staying at the circular quay Marriott

any other Marriotters please PM and we can have a welcome cocktail
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just noticed this thread which coincides with an upcoming trip to SYD. Sister and I arrive on May 21 (thank you ANZ promo fare ). We would be mostly interested in the organized activities so depending on what they are, we will probably join in. Please sign us up as Gold.

I’m an OZ Fest virgin! We’ll be staying at the Sheraton Hyde Park.
Oz Fest likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Any interest in an astronomy outing? I have an on-again-off-again interest in the subject, and have not yet managed to work in a stargazing session in two previous trips to the Southern Hemisphere, so this seems like a good opportunity

Randomly Googling around, there seem to be a few possiblities that work for the DO weekend:

https://maas.museum/event/sydney-obs...y-night-tours/

https://nsas.org.au/observing/

https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/obs...atory/whats_on

If anyone has previous experiences with any of these and/or other recommendations, suggestions are welcome!
Plainsman and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:54 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Fare deals USA AustraliaGetting an upgrade may be a challenge for those who want to fly up front
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:54 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat

we will all miss both of you...

As an aside (well back on topic), I have changed hotel from HI Potts Point to the SYD Hilton (both Fri & Sat nights).. Only doing it to spend more time with fellow ozfesters and sample the Exec Floor drinks and nibbles. Otherwise, can't stand the place...
Bundy Bear likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
@Oz Fest. Please update my return flight on 26 May to NZ104 departing at 11:50.

AirNZ cancelled my 09:50 flight, I guess they figured I'd enjoy 2 hours additional sleep-in.....
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.