Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:09 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cocobird
Thanks for putting the dinners together. I noticed the spreadsheets do not show me as coming to both dinners yet. Surprised since I paid for them within minutes of the dinner announcements. Is there an issue I should follow up with Eventbrite?
At this time the google spreadsheet only lists what people post on the thread. Hope to get an eventbrite report later.

Links to
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Thanks for putting the dinners together. I noticed the spreadsheets do not show me as coming to both dinners yet. Surprised since I paid for them within minutes of the dinner announcements. Is there an issue I should follow up with Eventbrite?
my guess is 2 separate systems, I’m booked for both dinners as well via event
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Looks like I'm still on for footy (AFL) Friday evening. Any others interested please PM me. Not sure how long I'll last since arriving Friday morning but will give it a good go!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Booked dinner for both nights for myself and friend #1 and friend #2 (their last OzFest was in Cairns in 2009). We're all at the Marriott near Circular Quay and will fly up from Melbourne midday on Friday.

For those that have not been to Vivid Sydney before, I have photos/video from four prior years on my Australia page:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Australia
restlessinRNO and serfty like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
... For those that have not been to Vivid Sydney before, I have photos/video from four prior years on my Australia page:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Australia
Thanks for the link, Tom! The Vivid Sydney photos make me even unhappier that I have to miss this year's gathering.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
HI Efrem- Hopefully we'll see you next year!
Fredd likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I have a couple of questions pertaining to Vivid Sydney. Chatswood appears to have the largest number of light installations, and there is a frequent train running there. Once there, does anyone know whether the light show is centralized or whether there is local public transportation to easily see them? Would I need to rent a car (scary thought)? Is anyone else thinking of going?

Also is anyone going to the Vivid Sydney Idea forums? There are a couple that look interesting to me. The first is New Horizons/New Frontiers which focuses on going to Space, cost is $11 AUD. The second is the Dark Web, cost is $33.34. It looks like both are on Sunday, May 26th (but hard for me to tell because it keeps converting to US Pacific time on my screen).

Thanks for any comments or suggestions
Circular Quay is the best area for Vivid. Includes the Botanical Gardens and the area towards the Bridge from Park Hyatt. Customs House usually has a great installation.
cocobird likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by DELee
Mrs. DELee and I decided to reserve/purchase 2 Groupons for Sunday, May 26th for 5:15 pm.

Our reasoning was: a) it would be past sunset at the 5:15 pm departure anyway, b) we'll have the opportunity to enjoy the cruise and what lights are visible from Vivid Sydney during that time and then c) would be down at the King Street Wharf both before and after and then have the option to wander further around the wharf/CBD that evening and night.

We welcome everyone who'd like to join us to also reserve/purchase the Groupon!

David
Apologies I was in Chile for 2 weeks and had limited internet access where I was. I will join you guys if have booked for the 26th, assuming the deal is still on.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
Apologies I was in Chile for 2 weeks and had limited internet access where I was. I will join you guys if have booked for the 26th, assuming the deal is still on.
Yes - we are booked on the Grouponed Vivid Cruise for the 26th at 5:15 pm.

David
Old May 2, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Yes - we are booked on the Grouponed Vivid Cruise for the 26th at 5:15 pm.

David
I have just booked this too. There is a discount code "SALE which gives another 10% off but not sure when it will expire.
Hoping more will join us.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
I booked the Grouponed Vivid Cruise also. Thanks for pointing out the code. 5:15 pm, on Sunday.

Last edited by Plainsman; May 2, 2019 at 10:16 am Reason: Added time and date.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
HI Efrem- Hopefully we'll see you next year!
Thanks, Tom (and Fredd). I hope so too. I have a location suggestion for 2020, but I'll hold off on that until this one is over to avoid creating a distraction (unless people say they might want to discuss that sort of thing in Sydney).
Fredd likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:44 pm

I've also purchased a groupon for the Vivid Cruise at 5:15pm on that Sunday the 26th.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:28 am

Are there ladies in this group who might be interested in shopping? I can take a group on Saturday to the Rocks Market, Pitt St Mall including the Strand Arcade, QVB and maybe end up in the outlets in Market City Chinatown, weather permitting. We have some lovely cafes for morning/afternoon tea.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:31 am

Also this is a lovely spot for brunch either on Saturday or Sunday. If there is interest I can enquire.
https://thegrounds.com.au/
chchkiwi and doug_westcott like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.