Reload this Page >

I've spent 20 years on FlyerTalk

I've spent 20 years on FlyerTalk

Old Jun 2, 20, 2:50 pm
Community Director

cblaisd, good times and great memories.
Rudi likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 10:22 am

Wow, Even for me it has been 20 years on FT. Joined March 2000 - time really flies...
Rudi and aztimm like this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Amen to that!

I'm approaching 20 years. I came to Flyertalk after the Summer From Hell in 2020. That was the summer that UA was screwing with all of its passengers and crew (behind the cabin door). The pilots created lots of havoc. My membership number on FT is in the 3300 range.

You guys and gals have been fun to hang around with in person and here on the board. Even the old Chat days were an evening to look forward to. I can't wait to meet you all for a slice of Brooklyn pizza, a black and white cookie, and a glass or 2 of wine in the (near) future.
I may even head to Brooklyn for a slice of pizza at L&B Spumoni Gardens on Saturday June 13. That was the day BRT 21 was scheduled for.

dh
2 slices of pizza, you can have my B&W cookie, and 3 glasses of wine. Deal?
Rudi and dhammer53 like this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Dan's typo was interesting. "Summer From Hell in 2020." It's shaping up that way.
Rudi and dhammer53 like this.
Old Jun 9, 20, 8:24 pm

That's awesome.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:32 pm

Definitely a feat in of itself to be on any forum for that long - congrats!
Old Jun 14, 20, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I have been on FlyerTalk for almost 15 years now. I am very valuable. I knows about the routes, aircraft, airports, transportation, stadium, security, and sports related, as well.
squeakr likes this.
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:58 am

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Read WSJ article that mentioned FT July 2000......registered. Education and entertainment in one spot. I was so wrapped up in hopping on planes and getting to next level of AA status. Spent time with GA at DFW because she was so impressed with me being Gold. Dropped me for a Plat awhile later. Two years pass, I'm EXP and she is visiting me again. Along comes 9/11 and TSA behind it. My flying for fun days begin to dwindle.and are replaced with cruise ships. The virus happens and 2020 has been reduced to hotel rooms. Or, basically one hotel room......albeit a decent suite.
kokonutz and tcook052 like this.
Old Jun 20, 20, 9:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, FWIW, today is exactly 10 years from when I first joined - and posted to - FlyerTalk.

Not exactly clear but I think I stumbled onto FT when finding something called a MegaDo..and it led here.

Additional, FWIW, did a little digging and found that first post:

Two things stand out WRT that first post: 1) That I was so motivated to find out if there were actual folks who'd won anything (not that anyone replied) but that I was clearly interested in then HHonors points and 2) That I had to join and post at 3:01 am (on a Sunday no less).

A followup FT geeky thing as well - that I'd even considered either staying up until 3:01 am today or waking up just to post to this thread at that exact time...

Anyway, cheers to all.

David
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
June 30, 2000. Twenty years ago today.

The date didn't mean anything to me either until I came across this thread and looked up when my anniversary was. To paraphrase something I read recently, 20 years sounds like forever, yet it seems shorter than a sneeze.

Yes, the travel info has been fantastic, but the people have been far more important. I've met FlyerTalkers in the U.S., from Maine to Hawaii, in Europe (Spain, the UK, Germany, Austria, and France come immediately to mind) and Argentina. Not to mention the countless dinners and luncheons in Chicago (oh, for the $5 Tuesday burger at the now defunct Beer Bistro and the great lunches with people from across the country -and beyond - we used to get at the Flat Top Grill in the early years). And, the people I've sparred with (and continue to) that I've never met in person. And, I still think of and miss two of the sweetest people I've ever met - the lateTravelWeary from Seattle (pizza at the Velvet Elvis in Patagonia, AZ! ) and dctorres from DC, Paris and Chicago.

So, 20 years later, I'm amazed and grateful for the things I've learned, the places I've been and the friends I've made! Thanks to you all!

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jun 30, 20 at 12:14 pm
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:41 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
June 30, 2000. Twenty years ago today.

The date didn't mean anything to me either until I came across this thread and looked up when my anniversary was. To paraphrase something I read recently, 20 years sounds like forever, yet it seems shorter than a sneeze.

Yes, the travel info has been fantastic, but the people have been far more important. I've met FlyerTalkers in the U.S., from Maine to Hawaii, in Europe (Spain, the UK, Germany, Austria, and France come immediately to mind) and Argentina. Not to mention the countless dinners and luncheons in Chicago (oh, for the $5 Tuesday burger at the now defunct Beer Bistro and the great lunches with people from across the country -and beyond - we used to get at the Flat Top Grill in the early years). And, the people I've sparred with (and continue to) that I've never met in person. And, I still think of and miss two of the sweetest people I've ever met - the lateTravelWeary from Seattle (pizza at the Velvet Elvis in Patagonia, AZ! ) and dctorres from DC, Paris and Chicago.

So, 20 years later, I'm amazed and grateful for the things I've learned, the places I've been and the friends I've made! Thanks to you all!
Congratulations! I'm glad you've been around
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:12 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post

Yes, the travel info has been fantastic, but the people have been far more important.
Truth. It's a pleasure to know you. I'm expecting to see you in San Diego one of these days when people can attend baseball games and the Cubs are here.
kokonutz and jspira like this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:07 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Congrats to all who are in the 20-year club! Only 404 days until I'm there with you!

Here's hoping I remember this thread in August of 2021. So close!

I won't get all mushy yet - I'll save it until next year.
Old Jul 1, 20, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
My twentieth anniversary was in April, ironically the one month in decades when I did not board an airplane.

My join date was April 26, 2000. I was still living in Boston, consulting with several financial clients. While trying to figure the best deals on the Delta Shuttle using various customer discounts, I discovered Flyertalk. That summer I commuted to SFO to help Morgan Stanley with its new customer-facing website. AA served the route with multiple widebody 767s and I made EXP for the first time. I remember banking over 16k miles per weekly trip during a particularly generous bonus that year from AAdvantage.

I have learned volumes of useful information, and I hope I have shared some knowledge, too.
Old Jul 2, 20, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
My join date was April 26, 2000. I was still living in Boston, consulting with several financial clients. While trying to figure the best deals on the Delta Shuttle using various customer discounts, I discovered Flyertalk. That summer I commuted to SFO to help Morgan Stanley with its new customer-facing website. AA served the route with multiple widebody 767s and I made EXP for the first time. I remember banking over 16k miles per weekly trip during a particularly generous bonus that year from AAdvantage.
Ah yes, the good old days.

Welcome to the 20-year memberships ranks.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: