Hokkai-Do, the Do formerly known as Japan-Do #7, 19-21 April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Official Do Dinner

Friday 19 April 7pm~10pm Do Dinner - Koropokkuru (post 114 for details)
Please add your handle if you are coming to the dinner as soon as possible and by Wednesday 17th at the latest. If you decide not to come please remove your handle at least 24 hours before the event and confirm by posting in the thread. No-shows will be charged the full amount (7,000 yen).

NewbieRunner
restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
kirkwoodj
BigRedBears
CDKing (cancelled)
nme7
ClaudiSTR
nomadic.relief
kpc
kpc+1
CMK10 (cancelled)
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
upup&away
lking
TravelKane
krazykanuck
Sykes
The_Wrath_of_Khan+2
armagebedar
keitherson

- - - - -

Registration is not compulsory for other activities during the Do. However, it would help if those intending to come can add their handle below.

Thursday 18 April 7pm~ Welcome drinks - T’CAFE at the T38 Observation Deck of the JR Tower (see post 115)

restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
CDKing
nme7
nomadic.relief (maybe, exhaustion dependent)
kpc
kpc+1
BigRedBears (maybe)
lking (maybe. Arriving that evening)
TravelKane - if no delays from the airport
Sykes
The_Wrath_of_Khan+2
armagebedar
keitherson
NewbieRunner
kirkwoodj (if I make it on time)

Friday 19 April 10am~ (Walking) tour of Sapporo (Meet at Ōdōri subway station Exit 8 - see post 203 for more info)

BigRedBears (maybe?)
CDKing
nme7
nomadic.relief (maybe?)
kpc
kpc+1
restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
lking
TravelKane
keitherson
krazykanuck (probably, will catch up mid day)
NewbieRunner
Kirkwoodj

Saturday 20 April 9am~ Day trip to Otaru (see post 107)

BigRedBears
CDKing
ClaudiSTR
nomadic.relief
kpc
kpc+1
CMK10
restlessinRNO
restlessinRNO+1
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
upup&away
lking
TravelKane
keitherson
krazykanuck
NewbieRunner

Saturday 20 April - Optional visit to Nikka Distillery Yoichi

BigRedBears
CDKing
CMK10
Gary STL
Gary STL+1
lking , maybe
TravelKane
keitherson

Sunday 21 April 10am~ Historical Village of Hokkaido (see post 111)

CDKing
ClaudiSTR
nomadic.relief
upup&away
lking
TravelKane
krazykanuck
NewbieRunner
beckoa

Monday 22 April - Tuesday 23 April : Post-Do in Noboribetsu Onsen

ClaudiSTR
kpc
kpc+1
NewbieRunner
BigRedBears +1
nomadic.relief
beckoa
Print Wikipost

Hokkai-Do, the Do formerly known as Japan-Do #7, 19-21 April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by elliott44k
Woah, I just discovered this thread. I'm based out of SEL so this is just a short run for me. I read through some, is there an actual meetup happening or are we just gonna be in the same city? haha

I'm down as a maybe until I can confirm dates, but I definitely am interested.
Welcome! There is absolutely an actual meetup occurring These Japan Dos have been happening for 7 years annually on Easter weekend ... you just need to be a bit patient while awaiting some of the finer details outside of when and where. Usually about a month out we are given a better idea of what sort of things we'll get up to "officially" ... then there's always the weekend-of impromptu plans that crop up as well. It's great fun, you should definitely try to make it!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
I'm not sure
But I did book a placeholder room - HI
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elliott44k
Woah, I just discovered this thread. I'm based out of SEL so this is just a short run for me. I read through some, is there an actual meetup happening or are we just gonna be in the same city? haha

I'm down as a maybe until I can confirm dates, but I definitely am interested.
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Welcome! There is absolutely an actual meetup occurring These Japan Dos have been happening for 7 years annually on Easter weekend ... you just need to be a bit patient while awaiting some of the finer details outside of when and where. Usually about a month out we are given a better idea of what sort of things we'll get up to "officially" ... then there's always the weekend-of impromptu plans that crop up as well. It's great fun, you should definitely try to make it!
It will be good to have you join us, elliott44k.

Watch this space!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Thumbs down It is looking bad.

I lost a longer response to the cache monster here at Flyertalk.
So here's the shorter response.
The airfares from Chicago to Tokyo Sapporo are not cooperating.
I have tried the tricks of breaking flights into four tickets: Southwest to SEA, OAK, SFO, LAX; flights to NRT, HND, CTX.
One stops to any of the last three - no.
I honestly think the airlines have somebody monitoring Flyertalk, and when FT members propogate a Do, they pass it through to their elders, and the airline fares to the city of the Do get kicked up significantly. Then the hotels learn about it, and the room rates also escalate.
I do not know what can be done about this.
Anyhow, I really really want to go to Japan in 2019. But it appears that it won't be for Japan-Do #7 .
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to attend. I am scheduled to put on a digital evidence program in Khulna, Bangladesh, on April 21 and 22 and that must take precedence (this job is letting me make a deep exploration of South Asia and I'd like to keep it a while longer). Hopefully next year will see me make a return visit to Japan.

Last edited by gvdIAD; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Is Sunday (4/21) usually when people leave town? I'm flying ICN-AKL on 4/22 and CTS-ICN flights that day make me uncomfortable on separate tickets.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by CDKing
Is Sunday (4/21) usually when people leave town? I'm flying ICN-AKL on 4/22 and CTS-ICN flights that day make me uncomfortable on separate tickets.
In previous years most people left town on Sunday. This year we plan to schedule something in Sapporo on Sunday. Why don’t you book a late-afternoon flight to ICN to overnight there since there isn’t much to do near the airport as far as I know.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:26 am

Post-Do : Noboribetsu Onsen, 22-23 April, 2019

In 2015 we had a successful FUK-Do followed by a memorable Post-Do at Kurokawa Onsen. It’s time for another Onsen Post-Do this time at Noboribetsu Onsen. Noboribetsu is about 80 minutes by train from Sapporo and probably Hokkaido’s most famous hot spring resort.
https://livejapan.com/en/in-hokkaido...icle-a1000084/

We will stay at Ryotei Hanayura on the night of Monday, 22nd April. On the English language booking site (linked from the front page of the Japanese site) it's the last of the three establishments listed which looks like this.

The package a few of us have chosen is
Early Bird 30Days The Japanese cuisine plan~the greatest dishes of the season~
The rate is 26,500 yen per person (two sharing) including two meals and tax in a Japanese style room, or 31,500 yen per person (two sharing) in a Japanese style room with private open air bath. The evening meal will be a multiple course kaiseki-style meal. The booking option page should look like this.

I chose the more expensive meal option rather than the "smaller quantity Japanese cuisine" as it will be a set meal with no choice and the menu selected should give us more variety. Here is an image of a sample meal or click "Dishes" on the Japanese front page. The plan is to have a meal in a semi-private dining area which means we will all have to choose the same menu option.

Unfortunately most Japanese ryokans don’t have “single rooms” and it’s not unusual for 3 or 4 people to share a room. So if you are a solo traveller you will have to find a roommate or two! Just ask someone who was at the Post-FUK-Do how they got on.

There is a shuttle from/to Sapporo which you can book in advance for 500 yen one way. A few of us plan to take the shuttle to Noboribetsu on Monday but will find our way back to Sapporo or the airport (CTS) after sightseeing in the area on Tuesday. Cancellation is free up to 4 days before arrival.

If anyone is interested in reading about the Post-Do trip to Kurokawa Onsen check post 346 onwards in the FUK-Do thread. And links to what (not) to do at an onsen.

If you have any questions please post here or PM me. Further info on other Do activities to follow.
kpc and ClaudiSTR like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 12, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:08 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
+1 and I are booked for the Post Onsen Do
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Ahh! Sad I won't be able to join the post-Do. Btw, what's happening for the actual Do?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Flights Booked.

April 17 . TG670 . BKK-CTS . 23:45 - 08:30 +1
April 22 . TG671 . CTS-BKK . 10:30 - 15:30.

We are looking forward to another Japan DO.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by nme7
Ahh! Sad I won't be able to join the post-Do. Btw, what's happening for the actual Do?
See a provisional list of events in post 3. More to follow.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
In previous years most people left town on Sunday. This year we plan to schedule something in Sapporo on Sunday. Why don’t you book a late-afternoon flight to ICN to overnight there since there isn’t much to do near the airport as far as I know.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

See a provisional list of events in post 3. More to follow.
Thanks, I'll give up my 4th night free for a more sane connection.

April 18 . KE795 . ICN-CTS . 12:25 - 15:10
April 21 . KE796 . CTS-ICN . 17:55 - 21:15
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Sadly, I won’t be attending after all. Pokemon Go is having an event in Singapore on the exact same weekend, and I managed to wangle a ticket for Mon, so it looks like I will be going for that instead (and also going home to get a new passport at the same time).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

I have listed the handles of those who have confirmed attendance in post 4. Please check and post here if any changes are needed.

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
... you just need to be a bit patient while awaiting some of the finer details outside of when and where. Usually about a month out we are given a better idea of what sort of things we'll get up to "officially" ...
nomadic.relief has done it a few times before and knows exactly how it works. Your organisers have sprung into action and since they've done it before as well it's quite quick once they finally get going. The Do dinner on Friday is likely to be focused on local seafood but there will be suggestions for those who want to try "Jingiskan" (Genghis Khan) possibly on Saturday.
kirkwoodj and nomadic.relief like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.