Cow Do XIV (EZE) - Aug 31 to Sep 03, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cow Do XIV (EZE) - Aug 31 to Sep 03, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
So to declare wine in Global Entry, which question do you answer Yes? The one about food and agriculture products?
My recollection is that the $800 question does not merely ask about the $800, but whether you have exceeded any limits generally (of which the $800 is one example/dimension).

In my case I answered "yes" to both the question that contains the $800 wording, and the following question about food (I bought two boxes of alfajores at EZE )
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im thinking about organizing another Do sometime in October.... perhaps calling it the PESO MELTDOWN DO..... (???)

If anybody here would be game for this, let me know.... maybe I will start another thread on Community and see what the level of interest is....???

Thoughts ???!!!
Alex, can you arrange for another meltdown, and give us a warning next time?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Curious how things were for visitors with the Peso jumping around wildly.

I was watching clips of the US Open and they showed some Argentine fans in the stands watching and I thought those guys must be hurting with the Peso dropping to 40 Pesos for 1 USD.

It turns out they were guests of Del Potro so he was probably footing their bills.

But I see on TA that locals are advising American visitors to bring a lot of cash because ATMs are often out anyways and you get better exchange rates.

But it sounds sketchy to go to the back of some shop to exchange hundreds of dollars for local currency.

Last time I visited, about 4-5 years ago, I saw bars on the apt. buildings, all the way up several stories and noticed a lot of Recoleta restaurants keep the doors locked. They'd let you in and lock the door behind you.

Can't imagine things are different with the inflation so high and the currency fluctuating so.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Different data point: we brought back 48 bottles (hey, there’s two of us and we really like this stuff!), entered in MIA, declared them at the Global Entry kiosk (I answered “yes” to Q2, but I don’t remember the wording of it now), got pulled into CBP secondary screening, and paid less than $40 in taxes for all four cases.

I should note that they had records of every instance we brought wine back from vacations in the past few years. And I think we got questions in part because we had just brought back 6 cases of French wine home with us in August and they were concerned that we were resellers. (Nope, just thirsty people.)

Total time spent was less than 30 minutes, from the moment we hit the GE kiosks to the moment we re-checked the boxes. Still had time to re-check the wine, hit the AA Flagship Lounge for showers and second breakfast, and catch up on work before our next flight.

Thanks Gaucho and FlyingCow for all the work in putting this Do together and it was lovely meeting some of y’all over the weekend!
Gaucho100K and FlyingCow like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:21 am

Thank You All!

Thanks especially to Alex for organizing and to Flor for being our negotiator (and bring herself)! And thanks to all for making my +1’s birthday memorable
MSPeconomist and FlyingCow like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:23 am

I meant Flor being herself...

Originally Posted by soupxxxx
Thanks especially to Alex for organizing and to Flor for being our negotiator (and bring herself)! And thanks to all for making my +1’s birthday memorable
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Exclamation

Ive done just that... Ive started a preliminary interest gauging thread and am looking to potentially organize another EZE based Do in Early November.....

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Alex, can you arrange for another meltdown, and give us a warning next time?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for reporting your experience with US Customs.

And please remember that you have a USD $40 credit against your next purchase with us, this is in line with my standing get your money back guarantee every time you get a "weird" CBP agent that actually wants to collect duty and taxes from you. Thanks for coming down for this Do, and make sure you keep an eye out for the upcoming Meltdown DO that may happen in November....

Originally Posted by silly_stitcher
Different data point: we brought back 48 bottles (hey, there’s two of us and we really like this stuff!), entered in MIA, declared them at the Global Entry kiosk (I answered “yes” to Q2, but I don’t remember the wording of it now), got pulled into CBP secondary screening, and paid less than $40 in taxes for all four cases.

I should note that they had records of every instance we brought wine back from vacations in the past few years. And I think we got questions in part because we had just brought back 6 cases of French wine home with us in August and they were concerned that we were resellers. (Nope, just thirsty people.)

Total time spent was less than 30 minutes, from the moment we hit the GE kiosks to the moment we re-checked the boxes. Still had time to re-check the wine, hit the AA Flagship Lounge for showers and second breakfast, and catch up on work before our next flight.

Thanks Gaucho and FlyingCow for all the work in putting this Do together and it was lovely meeting some of y’all over the weekend!
silly_stitcher likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
Thanks to Gaucho100k for setting up a classy, fun Cow Do. I so much enjoyed the quality restaurants and the quality wines. Thanks to Flying Cow for doing the translation and admin work while the rest of us, well, drank.

My case of wine made it home just fine, Gaucho. I answered yes to Q2 at the Global Entry kiosk, and was singled out to have all my stuff x-rayed in a separate line. 5-10 extra minutes, and no mention of duties. Easy. We had a family dinner at our home planned the evening of my arrival (hence my Sunday EZE departure) and we tried 3 of the 4 different wines you selected. Everyone enjoyed them immensely.

I might be able to do a Peso Do this fall, but my calendar has a lot of stuff in it. Would highly depend on dates, turnout, agenda.

A pleasure meeting and playing with you all. Hope to do it again, in EZE or elsewhere. Looking hard at Sapporo Do in April 2019.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

GarySTL-- thanks for the kind words, very happy to read you enjoyed the Cow Do. Hope you keep this event on your Radar and can make it next year !!!

Originally Posted by GarySTL
Thanks to Gaucho100k for setting up a classy, fun Cow Do. I so much enjoyed the quality restaurants and the quality wines. Thanks to Flying Cow for doing the translation and admin work while the rest of us, well, drank.

My case of wine made it home just fine, Gaucho. I answered yes to Q2 at the Global Entry kiosk, and was singled out to have all my stuff x-rayed in a separate line. 5-10 extra minutes, and no mention of duties. Easy. We had a family dinner at our home planned the evening of my arrival (hence my Sunday EZE departure) and we tried 3 of the 4 different wines you selected. Everyone enjoyed them immensely.

I might be able to do a Peso Do this fall, but my calendar has a lot of stuff in it. Would highly depend on dates, turnout, agenda.

A pleasure meeting and playing with you all. Hope to do it again, in EZE or elsewhere. Looking hard at Sapporo Do in April 2019.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Post Thank You & some Friendly Reminders

I want to make a final more general "thank you" Post to all those that came down and made this Cow Do possible. Its hard to believe that this event has been going on for so many years. This year's event had a nice amount of new faces, and as I always say it is important for folks to come down to EZE the first time, but its more important that you leave wanting to return. I hope to be able to see many of you again in 2019, lets see if we can make next years event bring along a record turnout.

Two final special mentions are in order... first to MsEverywhere, who is the Number 1 Cow Do loyalist and has an attendance record that only I as the historic host can match. The Cow Do isnt the same when you are not here so I cross my fingers that you will be joining us next year. The second special mention goes to Flying Cow.... who is by now the defacto co-host of this event. As an EZE native, she knows the Turf just as well as I do and helps me with all the evening events where I am always absent.... Flor, I couldnt do this without you, thank you very much for all you do to keep this DO on the traditional FlyerTalk calendar.

FRIENDLY REMINDERS: please try to make some time to Post about your experiences at Somos Asado and the 1828 Smart Hotel. Gustavo needs all the word of mouth he can get to continue to build his customer base at Somos Asado - so if you had a good meal please do go on Facebook and post comments, photos and a review. The Facebook page for Somos Asado is here: https://www.facebook.com/SomosAsado/ For the Hotel, I think they are on Trip Advisor and other social media sites, for those that stayed there and enjoyed it, it would be great if you could post a review. Finally, we have a F&B thread here on the Argentina Forum where you can also post your review & experience at Somos Asado, that way all FTers can see what you guys thought of this new restaurant.

Im still debating to see if we will try to do a second Cow & Peso Meltdown improvised Do for sometime in November.... the Calendar is somewhat complicated for me and also given the Thanksgiving Holiday, but I think that the fares available and the award space situation is not bad so maybe its worth a shot.....? I will keep everybody posted on a separate thread.

Once again a big THANK YOU to everybody from FlyingCow and I - we look forward to welcoming everybody over Labor Day Weekend 2019 !!!!!

Cheers from Buenos Aires,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:56 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I simply have to find a way to get down there for next year's 'Do'. I was right next door (okay, in SCL so maybe not quite) and the more I read about this the better it gets.

Wine, beef, B.A., more wine - what's not to like! So fingers crossed that the tradition will continue next year. I'll just have to buy a transit case for the return to protect my wine purchases ...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Happy to read you are considering attending an upcoming Do.

Please stay tuned for the Master Thread of the 2019 Cow Do which I will be taking live sometime in the next few weeks.....

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I simply have to find a way to get down there for next year's 'Do'. I was right next door (okay, in SCL so maybe not quite) and the more I read about this the better it gets.

Wine, beef, B.A., more wine - what's not to like! So fingers crossed that the tradition will continue next year. I'll just have to buy a transit case for the return to protect my wine purchases ...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Happy to read you are considering attending an upcoming Do.

Please stay tuned for the Master Thread of the 2019 Cow Do which I will be taking live sometime in the next few weeks.....
I booked award flights from US to EZE for April, 2019, then remembered that there is this fantastic DO in BA every year. Cancelled my tix and anxiously awaiting the 2019 thread.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

I will start the new master thread. Today.... my apologies for the delay !!!!!

Originally Posted by rxgeek
I booked award flights from US to EZE for April, 2019, then remembered that there is this fantastic DO in BA every year. Cancelled my tix and anxiously awaiting the 2019 thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.