Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cow Do XIV (EZE) - Aug 31 to Sep 03, 2018

Cow Do XIV (EZE) - Aug 31 to Sep 03, 2018

Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Not at all.... I just think that sometimes visitors come to Argentina and only focus on Malbec..... Argentina is extremely prolific as a Wine Producing Country, and the list of varietals and wine styles made here is HUGE. Malbec is a relevant part and it is our Insignia Varietal, but there is a TON of other stuff to try and experience.

Argentina is a lot more than just Malbec.

Some other categories worth noting include, but are not limited to......
a) Sparkling Wines
b) Pinot Noir
c) Dessert Wines (both Sauternes and Port styles)
d) White Blends

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This seems to have been the year of the Malbec blends. Have you decided that they're "better" in some sense than 100% Malbec?
JY1024 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
You need to make an effort to make it here on the right dates next time.....

Please send the complaints in three copies to OPS and they will gladly shred your complaint
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
If anyone is still lingering behind in BA, https://www.artbasel.com/cities, free kickoff party happening Sep 6 across from the planetario. Just wandered around the pop-up cemetery and tombstones today.

Thanks to @Gaucho100K and @FlyingCow for the amazing do activities! Will be back for more and will try to drag some wineos down too.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hi DrunkCargo--- Thanks very much for your participation in this Do, it was a pleasure to meet you and your +1. Im around for these next few weeks so if you need anything during the rest of your stay please let me know. Look forward to remaining in touch with you.

And BTW, that handle of yours is one of the BEST Ive encountered in my almost 20 years on FlyerTalk..... ^ ^ ^

I hope that this EZE trip is the initial step in your discovery of the Amazing World of Wine !!!

Cheers,
Alex

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
If anyone is still lingering behind in BA, https://www.artbasel.com/cities, free kickoff party happening Sep 6 across from the planetario. Just wandered around the pop-up cemetery and tombstones today.

Thanks to @Gaucho100K and @FlyingCow for the amazing do activities! Will be back for more and will try to drag some wineos down too.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Happy to report that there were no surprises getting my wine home -- all 12 bottles arrived intact and they declined to charge me any duty ^
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Post Lunch @Somos Asado - please post a review

Somos Asado..... contact details and information for folks to post a review.

As discussed, they still dont have a full presence on Social Media, and their website is under construction. What they do have live is their Facebook page. For those that enjoyed their meal with Gustavo and his team, please be so kind as to get on Facebook and post a review of Somos Asado. Gustavo has gotten off to a good start but he needs all the momentum he can get, so posting your experience during our Lunch would be greatly appeciated. Dont worry about the fact that most posts are in Spanish, just go ahead and post in English, Gustavo will be most grateful.

Here is a link to the Somos Asado Facebook page.....
https://www.facebook.com/SomosAsado/

Thank you very much,
Alex
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Thank you for posting. Would someone kindly post the Wines poured at today's tasting, as well as the lunch. I trust everyone had a nice time and curious to see what Wines you had enjoyed!
Circling back for the courtesy of a reply..
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

As Ive said many times before, US Customs is very easy with Wines. If you declare 100% of what you are carrying they will just wave you through.

Originally Posted by Zorak
Happy to report that there were no surprises getting my wine home -- all 12 bottles arrived intact and they declined to charge me any duty ^
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Zorak
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
As Ive said many times before, US Customs is very easy with Wines. If you declare 100% of what you are carrying they will just wave you through.

I wasn't sure what to do and use Global Entry kiosk so just marked goods to declare when i said wine, I was waived through, they didn't ask how much i was bringing.

I had heard a rumor that wine is only subject to the duty free dollar max and not the 1L alcohol limit. Someone else told me in past that they did the math like 14% divide by 750ml * number of bottles. < 1L.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wasn't sure what to do and use Global Entry kiosk so just marked goods to declare when i said wine, I was waived through, they didn't ask how much i was bringing.

I had heard a rumor that wine is only subject to the duty free dollar max and not the 1L alcohol limit. Someone else told me in past that they did the math like 14% divide by 750ml * number of bottles. < 1L.
Its more of a paperwork issue versus the duties received. The examiner has to determine the HTS codes applicable for red and white wines, still or sparkling, then they further need to determine if the alcohol percentage is above or below 14.1%. All of this determines the duties and taxes for each particular bottle. So it's just a coding nightmare for them and the amount of duty that they would receive is far less than the labor they would expend by filing a proper entry. Furthermore the best suggestion is always to have an itemized listing of all the wines that you're bringing in and to declare them. As others have stated the most important thing is to Declare.. nine times out of 10 the will wave you through, and the one time in 10 that they decide to open the box they will probably not file the entry and wave you off again..so it's a win for folks bringing in wine whom properly declare the same..
Gaucho100K and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Sep 4, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I declared nothing at Global Entry because the question was anything over $800. I was stopped on my exit from baggage claim to ask the contents of the box. 6 bottles of wine, so he let me go. He didn't ask how many were in my rollaboard.

Drunk Cargo, you can also bring some oenophiles down if you find any of them!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I declared nothing at Global Entry because the question was anything over $800. I was stopped on my exit from baggage claim to ask the contents of the box. 6 bottles of wine, so he let me go. He didn't ask how many were in my rollaboard.

Drunk Cargo, you can also bring some oenophiles down if you find any of them!
You were lucky that you had a good CBP agent, here is a quick primer:

How much alcohol can I bring to the US? In the United States there are no limits to how much alcohol you can bring as long as it is intended for personal consumption and not resale. Many mistake the duty-free limit of 34 oz or 1 liter as the total limit. If you are over the duty-free limit, you simply have to declare the alcohol you are transporting on your customs form and pay the appropriate duty to the customs officer, typically around $1 to $2 for wine and beer, while the amount for spirits is slightly higher and varies by type, as of publication. From our experience however, more typically than not, you will be waived through without paying any duty due to the amount being so negligible.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Post Uncle Sam and Malbec - a long standing love affair

I always tell my Wine Clients to declare 100% - each and every bottle you have, because 99% of the time the CBP agents dont want to spend the time to do the math and the paperwork. Actually, I even offer a 100% money back guarantee, which covers 100% of the Duty that you may be charged IF you find a CBP agent that is willing to ring you up and charge you. Ive been ITB for almost 15 years now, and in only 2 (two) occasions in all these years have I been called upon a client to issue a refund. In both cases, the average duty was less than $1.50 per bottle.

I have regular clients that are Bankers and Consultants and come down to EZE very often, and these guys have serious Argentine Wine habits. A couple of these always max out their baggage allowance and take back 3 (three) cases. One time one of these guys took back 5 (five) cases, or 60 bottles. He declared everything, was sent to secondary and after a 60 second Q&A session he was waved away..... the CBP agent wanted to make sure the guy wasnt going to resell the stuff - once my client explained he was an Attorney (and produced a business card when asked), he was promptly booted away from Customs and sent on his way..... ^

Uncle Sam loves Malbec !!!!!
JY1024, penegal and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Im thinking about organizing another Do sometime in October.... perhaps calling it the PESO MELTDOWN DO..... (???)

If anybody here would be game for this, let me know.... maybe I will start another thread on Community and see what the level of interest is....???

Thoughts ???!!!
silly_stitcher and penegal like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
So to declare wine in Global Entry, which question do you answer Yes? The one about food and agriculture products?

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Sep 5, 2018 at 9:41 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.