10. Waitlist
Confirmed for Library:
  1. beckoa
  2. BOB W
  3. FriendlySkies
Print Wikipost

BBQ Lunch MCI & Truman Library Visit March 22, 2018

Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Cool BBQ Lunch MCI & Truman Library Visit March 22, 2018

@BOB W and I will be in MCI next week and am inviting any FTers in the area to meet up for a visit of the Truman Library at 9 AM followed by lunch at 12:30 PM at Jack Stack Freight House.
@FriendlySkies is planning on joining us, others are welcome to as well.

There may be an activity or two after, depending on how long lunch runs. There is a flight to catch: AS729 at 4:35 PM that afternoon.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
You're flying down all the way from ANC, and you choose Jack Stack?!?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:30 am

I'll try and make lunch
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Gold
Do you have a lunch reservation for 12:30? If so, I can join you for lunch since I am already downtown at work.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by susiesan
Do you have a lunch reservation for 12:30? If so, I can join you for lunch since I am already downtown at work.
I do now

Reserved for 8 people, can increase to more if we want, just helpful to give them a heads up.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I've been to the library twice...it's well worth a visit but I don't think I'm interested in going a third time.

I'll either sleep in or go do one of the other things on my list of things to see in KC and meet you for lunch. Though Jack Stack is a "meh" to me, so maybe I'll host an alternative do at Joe's.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:08 pm

If you have time in the afternoon, there's a newish Costco that opened in the northland between downtown and the airport.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holland
If you have time in the afternoon, there's a newish Costco that opened in the northland between downtown and the airport.
There's also one on the way to Joe's . Will see how it all pans out.
holland and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holland
OMG. Don't encourage him!!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
You're flying down all the way from ANC, and you choose Jack Stack?!?
What’s wrong with Jack Stack? It’s one of the better joints in KC.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I visited the library when I was in town last summer. I spent about 90 minutes there, which was 30 minutes more than I expected. If you like history, you'll love it.

Dan
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If anyone's looking for ideas for other things to do, I visited MCI last Labor Day and found the Arabia Steamboat Museum quite fascinating:

http://1856.com/

There's also the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the American Jazz Museum which are located right next to each other.
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
If anyone's looking for ideas for other things to do, I visited MCI last Labor Day and found the Arabia Steamboat Museum quite fascinating:

A Historic Kansas City Attraction &laquo The Arabia Steamboat Museum - A Historic Kansas City Attraction Arabia Steamboat Museum ? Kansas City

There's also the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the American Jazz Museum which are located right next to each other.
The Arabia gets really high reviews on TripAdvisor and I went by one day (too close to closing to actually go in) and am still kinda baffled as to what it is that makes it so engaging, but you're not the only person who's said so. I guess I need to check it out one of these days. Maybe this week.

Highly recommend both the baseball and jazz museums, and getting a drink at the attached Blue Room and watching live jazz was a highlight of my last couple of trips up there.

Also highly recommended is the Nelson-Atkinson art museum--exceptional and free. Can't beat that! And don't forget the exceptionally-well-done WWI museum.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

The Steamboat Arabia is fascinating. I've been through it 3 times now. The best was when I tagged along behind a group of school kids; they have a tour guide that narrarates a lot of the backstory you'd otherwise never hear, so if you can do that I'd recommend it.

We're in for lunch (me +1)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jackal
The Arabia gets really high reviews on TripAdvisor and I went by one day (too close to closing to actually go in) and am still kinda baffled as to what it is that makes it so engaging, but you're not the only person who's said so. I guess I need to check it out one of these days. Maybe this week.
I'm not sure I can put it into words, but I will try for me there were multiple facets about it that were interesting, including (1) the sheer amount of artifacts (I forget the number but I think they said they are only 1/3 or 2/3 through the process of extracting/cleaning everything -- either way it's still an impressive quantity), (2) the pristine state of it (stuff that can survive being wet, has survived extraordinarily well due to being buried in an anaerobic environment), (3) seeing how people were traveling back then (FT tie-in!). Like stepping back through time.

Our sightseeing plan that day was the Arabia museum followed by the WWI Museum and figured this would be a light "appetizer" before the "real" thing but my friend and I agreed the experience far exceeded our expectations.

If any of the above resonates, I strongly recommend going. OTOH for the sort of person not terribly interested in just seeing "a bunch of stuff" it might not be as engaging.
jackal likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.