Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

“We wish there were an Alaska DO!”- the 2018 Alaska Mini-DO: Homer, AK July 4-7, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ANC RED-EYE
Quick links to:
Schedule
Attendee List
Activities in Homer (and en route to Homer)
Transportation options between Anchorage and Homer
BBQ Info

RSVPs
BBQ Potluck signups (please limit to 5 per category initially):
  • Apps and snacks (suggestions: chips and dip, hummus, meat/cheese tray, veggie tray, etc)
    1. - kirkwoodj (something as above)
    2. - beckoa+1 (something Alaskan)
    3. - violist (caprese)
    4. - lili (chips y salsa)
    5. - violist & lili's +1 (nuts)
    6. -Long Train Runnin (Veg platter)
    7. -
  • Veggie side (suggestions: green salad, grilled vegetables, etc)
    1. - AKronin (summer green salad)
    2. - ANC RED-EYE (summer green salad)
    3. - GrjApp (summer green salad)
    4. - rxgeek (cole slaw)
    5. - rxgeek +1 (cole slaw)
    6. -
  • Starch side (suggestions: potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, etc)
    1. - cocobird (potato salad)
    2. - BOB W (Israeli Couscous and Grilled Veggies Salad)
    3. - Monitor (Israeli Couscous and Grilled Veggies Salad)
    4. - Frantic (Israeli Couscous and Grilled Veggies Salad) it's a huge dish
    5. - nomadic.relief (depends on what I can find at the grocery store last minute, thinking garlic loaf and dinner rolls?)
    6. -
  • **Full** Dessert
    1. - bdnyc (apple pie and cookie tray)
    2. - bdnyc +1 (apple pie and cookie tray)
    3. - bdnyc +2 (apple pie and cookie tray)
    4. - beckoa (Local warehouse specialty)
    5. - AKDan (Moose is Loose creation)
    6. - AKDan +1 (Moose is Loose creation)
Arrivals in ANC:
  • GrjApp 7/2 AS67 10.14 pm - milk run from KTN
  • violist 7/3 by auto
  • Zorak 7/3 DL2632 12:36pm
  • cocobird 7/3 AS1741 1:06 pm
  • krazykanuck 7/3 AS65 3:02 pm
  • rxgeek + 1 7/3, AS 97 11:40 pm
  • Long Train Runnin 7/4 AS 4:30AM
  • bdnyc +2 7/4 DL 2256 11:46 pm
  • kirkwoodj 7/6 UA 1291 6:38pm
  • nomadic.relief 7/7 AS735 12:20 am
Departures from ANC:
  • Long Train Runnin 7/8 AS 12:45AM
  • kirkwoodj 7/8 UA 258 1:37am
  • krazykanuck 7/8 AS766 5:00am
  • Zorak 7/8 DL1979 6:00am
  • bdnyc +2 7/8 DL2855 3:35pm
  • nomadic.relief 7/8 AC539 4:00pm
  • GrjApp 7/8 AA148 8.35pm
  • rxgeek + 1 Dep 7/9 AS138 11:20 pm
  • violist 7/9 AA1617 11:24 p
  • cocobird 7/10 AS104 1:12pm
  • beckoa 7/11 AS238 6:30 AM

Arrivals in Homer:
  • GrjApp Wed late afternoon
  • ANC RED-EYE Wed late afternoon
  • BobW Wed late afternoon
  • Rxgeek+1 Wed late afternoon
  • Cocobird Wed late afternoon

Departures from Homer:
  • BobW, violist, lili Friday noon
  • GrjApp Sat morning
  • ANC RED-EYE Sat morning
  • Rxgeek+1 Sat afternoon
  • Cocobird Sat afternoon

Homer activities:
Seldovia tour Thursday (make your own reservation, group discount info available - please PM ANC RED-EYE):
  1. GrjApp
  2. ANC RED-EYE
  3. BobW
  4. cocobird
  5. lili
  6. violist
  7. Zorak
  8. Long Train Runnin
  9. rxgeek
  10. rxgeek+1
  11. krazykanuck
Peterson Wildlife Tour Friday:
  1. GrjApp
  2. ANC RED-EYE
Homer ridesharing
  • AKDan: If anyone wants to take advantage of flying to Kenai as suggested in the thread, I can offer rides to/from Homer.
  • BobW: 1 space remaining departing Homer for Anchorage around noon on Friday
Print Wikipost

“We wish there were an Alaska DO!”- the 2018 Alaska Mini-DO: Homer, AK July 4-7, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass

After the announcement of the postponement of the certain to be amazing Cordova/Valdez DO until 2019, the local Alaska contingent began to receive a flood of inquiries – FTers were threatening to visit our great state with or without a DO - there was even enough chatter on FT that an AK DO speculation thread was started! Soon, talk of excursions and BBQ’s at casa Bob W ensued, and ultimately the decision was made that if some were going somewhere, everyone else ought to be going there too.

With the assistance and co-sponsorship of Bob W and GrjApp, I am pleased to announce the “We wish there were an Alaska DO” - the 2018 Alaska Mini-DO.

Who? you
When? July 4-7, 2018
Where? Homer and Anchorage, Alaska
Why? If you’re asking, you’re probably in the wrong place

Before we go too much further, we should clarify that this DO may stray a bit from the patterns of some of the recent Alaska DO’s. Specifically, we’re sticking to the road system this year, and there will be no officially DO-sponsored flat tires on the itinerary. Sorry to disappoint – I realize, many of you fantasize about repeating the experience of putting 24 people in a 15 passenger van in bush Alaska. In fact, flat tires aside, there will be a limited formal itinerary of any kind – rather, individuals will be encouraged to pursue the many activities Homer has to offer, and join with other DO participants in activities of common interest. Please share your ideas and coordinate within the thread.

Transportation:
Homer is an incredibly scenic 4.5 hour drive from Anchorage. Participants are encouraged to rent cars and carpool – ride sharing can be facilitated in the wiki. Alternatively, RAVN Alaska (earning and redeeming AS miles possible) flies non stop from Anchorage multiple times per day (that said, the activities in Homer and the surrounding areas will likely require transportation, so access to a rental car is likely to be necessary).

Lodging:
There will be no hotel central; Homer has a wide variety of B&B’s and vacation rentals, as well as a limited number of hotels. Camping options are also plentiful. As with transportation, participants are encouraged to coordinate in the thread, and share any deals they come across, or suggestions they may have.

Schedule:
July 4-6: Homer. We anticipate scheduling a day trip to one of the communities across the beautiful Kachemak Bay (stay tuned, likely July 5)
July 7: BBQ in Anchorage at Casa Bob W (details TBA)

So, save the date and stay tuned for further developments. We hope you’ll be able to join us for another adventure in AK!

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Mar 8, 2018 at 1:55 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Schedule

This schedule is in the works - continue to watch for updates as plans become more firm.
  • Wednesday, July 4
    • 6:00 Pre-dinner brews at Grace Ridge Brewing Company
    • 7:30 Group dinner at Cafe Cups. Currently at capacity - contact ANC RED-EYE to cancel your RSVP or to be put on the waiting list.
  • Thursday, July 5
    • 10:30 - 5:30 Rainbow Tours Seldovia Wildlife Tour Group discount of $10 off per person has been arranged - PM sent with group discount booking instructions - please contact me via PM if you need this information.
  • Friday, July 6
  • Saturday, July 7
    • BBQ Finale - Casa Bob W, Anchorage.
      • noon - Sous chefs welcome
      • 4 p.m. - all welcome
      • 6:30 p.m. - dinner is served
      • late - closing time

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jun 23, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Attendance

Homer only
  1. jazon256*
  2. jazon256 +1*
Homer + BBQ
  1. ANC RED-EYE*
  2. GrjApp*
  3. Bob W*
  4. Long Train Runnin*
  5. rxgeek*
  6. rxgeek +1*
  7. cocobird*
  8. violist*
  9. lili*
  10. krazykanuck*
  11. Zorak*
  12. AKDan*
  13. AKDan +1*
*confirmed for the Welcome Dinner, Cafe Cups - Wed, 7/4 7:30 p.m. (currently at capacity - contact ANC RED-EYE via PM to change your RSVP or be added to the waiting list)

BBQ Only
  1. monitor
  2. monitor +1
  3. bdnyc
  4. bdnyc +1
  5. bdnyc +2
  6. nomadic.relief
  7. kirkwoodj
  8. AKronin
  9. beckoa**
  10. beckoa +1
  11. beckoa +2
  12. violist +1
  13. RoamingGeek
**beckoa's real status for all FT gatherings: - Copper - I won't know until the last minute as work may get in the way or I may have to fly to NRT, or KOA, or OMA or somewhere else for one reason or another or I just can't make up my mind. (credit to Oz Fest - couldn't have said it better myself!)

Catch you next time:
  1. GRALISTAIR
  2. jackal
  3. Ceres
  4. FortFun
  5. Governator
  6. CDKing
  7. bk3day
  8. PV_Premier (?)

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jul 7, 2018 at 12:53 am Reason: updated RSVPs
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Activities to consider (Homer and en route)

Following is a list of recommended activities for participants to consider. This list will be updated as additional recommendations come from the thread. I've tried to include links and insider information where applicable.

En route between Anchorage and Homer:
  • 26 glacier cruise
    • a great option to get out on the water and see numerous glaciers. This tour is based in Whittier, a quick detour off the route to Homer. I can provide a referral which will get you Alaska resident pricing - PM me for details.
  • multiple scenic view points along the Turnagain Arm (one of Alaska's most scenic drives)
Homer Sights and attractions:Half day/day trips/excursions/adventures from Homer:Breweries (and a winery??)Restaurants:

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jun 14, 2018 at 11:35 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Transportation options to/from Homer:
  1. Recommended: rent cars in Anchorage and carpool for the 4.5 hour drive (coordinate in the wiki). Check out Autoslash for the best rates. Consider off airport locations (which can be cheaper). The drive south from Anchorage along the Turnagain Arm is one of Alaska's most spectacular drives, and is an attraction by its own merits!
  2. For those with limited time, or those wanting to earn or redeem AS miles: fly from Anchorage. RAVN Alaska has multiple daily flights for ~$100 or 7,500 miles each way. Note that RAVN flights can be combined with AS flights (but not other partners) at regular domestic award pricing *including 1 free stopover in each direction* (i.e. ANC for the BBQ).
  3. Insider tip from Bob W - the fly/drive hybrid: " Another option to get to Homer is to fly into Kenai and rent a car there. You cut about 2.5 hours off of the drive each way. The drive from Anchorage is spectacular, so I would definitely prefer that if travel time is not an issue. If you fly to Kenai, take Grant Aviation. They fly mostly a variety of 9 passenger planes and at a much lower altitude than RAVN. On a clear day the views simply cannot be beat. I do day trips to the Peninsula and fly Grant just because of the spectacular views."
    • Worth noting that RAVN Alaska (same Earning/redeeming AS miles as above, as well as AS codeshares on through tickets) is also an option, but this would lose the option to essentially double as a flight-seeing tour that Bob W points out above.
  4. I don't know of any bus service, but these guys seem to provide a shuttle service. Based on the crummy website, I'm pretty sure we can't recommend this, but we'll include it for the sake of completion. Wondering how much it costs? So am I. As far as I can tell, the first 50-100 pounds are $58. Over 100 lbs? That'll be an "additional 30 cents per pound." Heads up that "Large items will incur 20% bulk fee." I don't like the idea of a 20% "bulk fee" appearing on future passenger tickets... Finally, they "are not responsible for damages due to improper packing." OK, we'll stop there
Car Rentals in Homer:
Should you decide to fly to Homer and rent a car locally, Autoslash likely can't help you, but prices may well be competitive with Anchorage:

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jun 14, 2018 at 11:35 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

BBQ Info

We're going to do things a bit differently with the BBQ this year. Namely, we're going potluck!

Grilled meat (tri-tip and chicken) will be provided and prepared. Water will be available for drinking (oh, and wine...but we'll get to that in a second). Basic dinnerware and serving utensils will also be provided. Each attendee will need to bring a dish to pass (4-5 servings); signups available in the wiki in specific categories to ensure that we end up with a varied menu. Categories include:
  • Apps and snacks (suggestions: chips and dip, hummus, meat/cheese tray, veggie tray, etc)
  • Veggie side (suggestions: green salad, grilled vegetables, etc)
  • Starch side (suggestions: bread, potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, etc)
  • Dessert
For those participating in wine sharing Despite Alaska following the Pacific Northwest tradition of being a primarily beer state, this BBQ has traditionally been a wine event! Bob W's Wall O' Wine™ (WOW) will be freely flowing; it is suggested that you choose the "BBQ + Wall o' Wine" option in the RSVP, which includes a donation to the WOW to ensure it doesn't run dry Alternatively if you have a special bottle you'd like to share, choose "BYOB" - suggested $25 per bottle.

For non-wine drinkers Water will be provided. Feel free to BYOB for other soft drinks, beer, or any other desires.

A couple of housekeeping details:
  • Date: July 7, 2018
  • Time
    • Sous chefs - starting noon
    • others - starting 4 p.m.
    • dinner - 6:30 p.m.
    • closing time - late
  • Location: Casa Bob W - If you need directions to Casa de Bob W please PM him for the address
  • Costs/Payment
    • $35 per person BBQ + WOW contribution
    • $10 per person for BBQ + BYOB
    • Payments will be via PayPal/Chase Pay - info to be provided via PM
    • RSVP: please RSVP by Saturday June 23 in the wiki and sign up for your potluck items there.
  • Prep: please be mindful of limited prep space with your contributions. If you would like to bring something that will require prep - please contact Bob W via PM to coordinate in advance, and please plan to arrive with the Sous chefs

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jun 24, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I feel obligated to point out that we out did ourselves on the flat tire goal in Kodiak with not just one but two flat tires between the town of Kodiak, the trip to Pashagshak and then to the top of Pillar Mountain.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:45 pm

Hmmm, so I am pretty sure I can make the bbq at the very least, might even get 2 nights in ANC if I can get from work to in my seat onboard in 75 min ... what sort of rebooking policy does AS have if you misgauge things?
polkacat and ANC RED-EYE like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Hmmm, so I am pretty sure I can make the bbq at the very least, might even get 2 nights in ANC if I can get from work to in my seat onboard in 75 min ... what sort of rebooking policy does AS have if you misgauge things?
Just cry. Works every time.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Just cry. Works every time.
Not sure if the most appropriate response is or
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Going to do my best to make this. Very little sounds better than escaping the Texas summer for Alaska! Currently scouting some very flight options. A double connection on DL, or 8 hours trapped on a UA narrowbody?
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Put me down as interested as well!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Not sure if the most appropriate response is or
Honestly, I would imagine they would be pretty forgiving, but hard to say for sure.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Going to do my best to make this. Very little sounds better than escaping the Texas summer for Alaska! Currently scouting some very flight options. A double connection on DL, or 8 hours trapped on a UA narrowbody?
Originally Posted by Zorak
Put me down as interested as well!
Hope you both can join us.

Wiki updated with all 3 of you in the "maybe" section!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Will try for BBQ at least.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I may be able to make this happen. Put me on the maybe list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.