FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Future (2018? 2019?) Alaska Do speculation and discussion thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1897363-future-2018-2019-alaska-do-speculation-discussion-thread.html)

Zorak Jan 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Future (2018? 2019?) Alaska Do speculation and discussion thread

Any thoughts towards a 2018 version?

jackal Jan 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29360393)

Yes.

BOB W Jan 30, 2018 10:19 pm

Waiting to hear when I should fire up the grill........

GRALISTAIR Feb 1, 2018 8:34 am

I may struggle this year depending on when exactly the DO will be - but anxiously awaiting the plan and the dates.

Long Train Runnin Feb 5, 2018 5:53 pm

Spoke to Zorak in person about this. Would also be interested in doing something up there this June.

Zorak Feb 5, 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 29360615)
Waiting to hear when I should fire up the grill........

If I get a vote, mine is for doing it around the solstice again (falls on a Thursday this year)

nomadic.relief Feb 6, 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 29360436)
Yes.

Ahem. Going to vocalize those thoughts? :D

Odds are I'll have to miss this one if around the summer solstice, but I still felt I should voice my enthusiasm for the idea of it.

jackal Feb 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29387829)
Ahem. Going to vocalize those thoughts? :D

Odds are I'll have to miss this one if around the summer solstice, but I still felt I should voice my enthusiasm for the idea of it.

I think we're going to postpone. I just don't have the bandwidth to do any planning anytime soon, and by the time I did, you'd probably have all of two months' notice. ;)

I will, however, be in Alaska from approximately mid-May to approximately mid-to-late June, TBD, and so if anyone else happens to also be there during that timeframe, a little something spontaneous could very well erupt. ;)

Thoughts have been along the lines of something involving some or all of the following:
-Cordova, home to the famed Copper River Red Salmon
-Valdez, ground zero of the 1964 Good Friday earthquake and surrounded by incredible mountains and glaciers
-A trans-Prince-William-Sound ferry ride
-A DC-3 charter
-A Thompson Pass crossing, one of the most scenic vistas anywhere in the state
-A Kennecott Mine ghost town adventure

Start thinking of a week to keep set aside for this in 2019. ;)

It's likely to be a Sunday-through-Saturday thing. It'll be hard to finalize before the Alaska Marine Highway System puts out its 2019 schedule, which may not be until the end of 2018 (they're supposed to get it out in September, but that didn't happen last year, which is one of the things that delayed the plans for 2018). Hard to know right now what month it may likely happen.

kirkwoodj Mar 2, 2018 9:14 am

I'm still following along, hope to make it back to AK someday.

BOB W Mar 4, 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 29471308)
I think we're going to postpone. I just don't have the bandwidth to do any planning anytime soon, and by the time I did, you'd probably have all of two months' notice. ;)

I will, however, be in Alaska from approximately mid-May to approximately mid-to-late June, TBD, and so if anyone else happens to also be there during that timeframe, a little something spontaneous could very well erupt. ;)

Thoughts have been along the lines of something involving some or all of the following:
-Cordova, home to the famed Copper River Red Salmon-2 days
-Valdez, ground zero of the 1964 Good Friday earthquake and surrounded by incredible mountains and glaciers-2 days
-A trans-Prince-William-Sound ferry ride-1 day
-A DC-3 charter-1 day
-A Thompson Pass crossing, one of the most scenic vistas anywhere in the state-1 to 2 days
-A Kennecott Mine ghost town adventure-2 days

Start thinking of a week to keep set aside for this in 2019. ;)

It's likely to be a Sunday-through-Saturday thing. It'll be hard to finalize before the Alaska Marine Highway System puts out its 2019 schedule, which may not be until the end of 2018 (they're supposed to get it out in September, but that didn't happen last year, which is one of the things that delayed the plans for 2018). Hard to know right now what month it may likely happen.

What you are proposing is two or three back to back DO's. This will be non-stop moving around with very little time to actually stop and enjoy the scenery. Based on my experiences, I have noted in bold the MINIMUM amount of time required to accomplish your journey. You are well past your one-week timeline. That does not include the traditional BBQ.

Slow down your plan and you will probably find many more people who want to come up for this event.

Also, if I were to put together a BBQ over this coming July 4 weekend, would anyone be interested?

jackal Mar 4, 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 29484985)
What you are proposing is two or three back to back DO's. This will be non-stop moving around with very little time to actually stop and enjoy the scenery. Based on my experiences, I have noted in bold the MINIMUM amount of time required to accomplish your journey. You are well past your one-week timeline. That does not include the traditional BBQ.

Slow down your plan and you will probably find many more people who want to come up for this event.

Bob, I'd rather not air the dirty laundry of planning all the logistics of a do in a public forum, especially since absolutely nothing is finalized or even known to be possible (i.e. TransNorthern may not even have their DC-3 charter operation up yet). However, several people have absolutely expressed interest in making it a week-long affair, and I and a few others mapped out how it would look and it is doable in a week with a couple days each in Cordova and Valdez. (Also, not necessarily all of those events will occur--those are just ideas tossed out to whet some appetites; perhaps my mistake was deciding to make some of these ideas public before a cohesive plan was put together.) It would also be broken up into different stages so that those who could not join for a full week (i.e. perhaps a weekend and a day or two before or after) could join for a portion.

philemer Mar 4, 2018 10:49 pm

We would be interested in a 2019 DO but not 2018. Looking forward to our first visit (can't count a refuling stop on the way to Nam) to AK. Thanks to all the past "planners". ^

nomadic.relief Mar 5, 2018 3:35 pm

BOB W, sorry, but requesting clarification on "July 4 weekend" for the foreigner ... July 4th is Wednesday this year ... which weekend do you mean?!

BOB W Mar 5, 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29489495)
BOB W, sorry, but requesting clarification on "July 4 weekend" for the foreigner ... July 4th is Wednesday this year ... which weekend do you mean?!

It could be either June 30 or July 7, although I could be convinced to do the BBQ July 4, if you all don't mind my family joining in. I need the day off after the BBQ to finish cleaning up and resting up, but could take Wed., July 4 through Sunday, July 8 off since the holiday is on Wednesday. This event usually goes well into the evening which is the reason I need the next day off work.

beckoa Mar 5, 2018 8:39 pm

Or perhaps July 3rd works better, to allow us to recover on the 4th ;)

It is odd having the 4th of July in the middle of the week this year.