Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

WineDO 10.5, Saturday, January 27, 2018, New York, NY!

WineDO 10.5, Saturday, January 27, 2018, New York, NY!

Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Marriott Silver
Yes, I just saw that, need to log in more often.....I was in Prague at that time, so wouldn't have made it anyway Usually in January I'm somewhere warm, but this year my plans changed and am going away a little later than usual, have always wanted to meet my fellow travelers so looking forward to this! I have a couple of bottles of some nice Navarro Brut to share.
DLroads likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by owlwoman
Yes, I just saw that, need to log in more often.....I was in Prague at that time, so wouldn't have made it anyway Usually in January I'm somewhere warm, but this year my plans changed and am going away a little later than usual, have always wanted to meet my fellow travelers so looking forward to this! I have a couple of bottles of some nice Navarro Brut to share.
Vintage or NV?

I've enjoyed many a bottle of Navarro.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Please add me as a tentative yes (schedule permitting) - cant say no to an evening of bubbles!
DLroads likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Okay so I've just discovered that I'm going to be in the city that day for another event.

It seems like kismet.

But - clearly this is something that's been going on for awhile, so can someone tell me if this is one of those super-cliquey deals where a singleton showing up who has never met anyone on FT before is going to end up drinking a bottle of bubbly in the dark on the "tarmac?"

Thanks in advance for the honesty!
DLroads likes this.

Last edited by onetess; Nov 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onetess
Okay so I'm just discovered that I'm going to be in the city that day for another event.

It seems like kismet.

But - clearly this is something that's been going on for awhile, so can someone tell me if this is one of those super-cliquey deals where a singleton showing up who has never met anyone on FT before is going to end up drinking a bottle of bubbly in the dark on the "tarmac?"

Thanks in advance for the honesty!
We all started out like this, so don't worry. We're a very warm group. You can ask hudsonlaluna up above. She was new, and since we were nice enough to her, she wants to come back.

I promise that we will bore you to tears with talk of miles, points, and etc. It will be a perfect evening.

dh
onetess, DLroads and owlwoman like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
onetess,
As a newbie I can attest to the lack of 'super-cliquey deals' going on and well it's rather quite the opposite - friendly folks, friendly faces.
Indeed I would say it's a motley crew from differing professions, locales, loyalties (to FF programs) but common thread is appreciation for tasty wines and desire to share that enjoyment amongst the FT community.
The hosts for both .5 and .0 (dl and dh) do an awesome job in corraling such a 'rowdy crowd' and add a modicum of order to the tastings.
They've also picked venues with food/service fitting for the occasions that I think everyone has been pleased with.
Sorry that you will miss .5 winedo, perhaps we'll see you at 11.0!
DLroads and owlwoman like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
onetess,
As a newbie I can attest to the lack of 'super-cliquey deals' going on and well it's rather quite the opposite - friendly folks, friendly faces.
Indeed I would say it's a motley crew from differing professions, locales, loyalties (to FF programs) but common thread is appreciation for tasty wines and desire to share that enjoyment amongst the FT community.
The hosts for both .5 and .0 (dl and dh) do an awesome job in corraling such a 'rowdy crowd' and add a modicum of order to the tastings.
They've also picked venues with food/service fitting for the occasions that I think everyone has been pleased with.
Sorry that you will miss .5 winedo, perhaps we'll see you at 11.0!
Thank you - and I don't think I'm missing it, am I? Please count me in.
DLroads likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The big difference between the two is that DH makes you check your DYKWIA card at the door, and DL makes sure that you have it out, but since everyone has them, it doesn't matter
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Marriott Silver
I'm not sure, I'll have to look, I'm a big Navarro fan and have quite a collection of their wines....
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't say rowdy.

dh
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Hi all,

An important update- I share the news that the buildings around our usual location, including the same building have been purchased by a developer who will demolish the buildings in early January :-(
Sadly, it also means that our usual location will not be in existence. Ithaka has been in business for several decades, providing the best Greek food experience and QPR in the city, standing up against the best from Astoria to Santorini, and virtually any Greek location I can think of. We have been working to find an alternate spot that meets the crowd's standards (actually, we have few 'finalists' already). I will follow up. Don't worry, you will be well treated. If you are in the neighborhood, please go there to have dinner/lunch until 11-26-2017, which would be the last day in operation. They have treated us very well over the years. I encourage you to drop by and enjoy a great meal. I will post here the new location of the chef once it is finalized as well (though the likelihood it will be prior to WD10.5 is low)

But to the good news regarding alternate location: Please stay tuned for a new location, as we have finalists in mind and they are all great :-)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DLroads
Hi all,

An important update- I share the news that the buildings around our usual location, including the same building have been purchased by a developer who will demolish the buildings in early January :-(
Sadly, it also means that our usual location will not be in existence. Ithaka has been in business for several decades, providing the best Greek food experience and QPR in the city, standing up against the best from Astoria to Santorini, and virtually any Greek location I can think of.
That's unfortunate. Ithaka treated us well. Hopefully the Ithaka owners can move to a new location.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DLroads
But to the good news regarding alternate location: Please stay tuned for a new location, as we have finalists in mind and they are all great :-)
No Golden Arches, please. There. You have my 2.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No Golden Arches, please. There. You have my 2.
I humbly suggest Two Bros Pizza. However I'm not sure their fee for corkage.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I humbly suggest Two Bros Pizza. However I'm not sure their fee for corkage.
Pizza wine tastings are within the authority of dh under fat tuesday rules, please refer to the appropriate Fat Tuesday thread.

I wrote down all recommendations and I'd serve them with a grain of salt and manischewitz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.