Reload this Page >

Secret Santa 2017 Official Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
The wiki is an UNOFFICIAL record of gifts received. Remember to PM wharvey when you send and receive gifts!
The wiki will be maintained by steveman518, however feel free to add gifts to the wiki as you receive them.

Uploading images
To upload images directly to FT posts, click on the little image button (next to the emoji symbol) and upload files
To embed images from outside sources, place the URL of the image between IMG tags or click on the little image button and paste the URL. Make sure the URL ends in .jpg/.tiff or any other image extension. To copy an image file URL from an image uploaded to another website, right click on the image and select "copy image URL" or something similar.

Gifts Received
aquamarinesteph #1
AStarr #1 #2
AtomicLush #1
bergamini #1 #2
b00mer89 #1 #2
Bravada04 #1
BXIAN #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
canforce #1
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 #2
Cjacq #1
ckidder331 #1 #2 #3
compubit #1 #2 #3 #4
CPH-Flyer #1 #2 #3
Dark Blue #1 #2
Deds1 #1 #2 #3
dee1843 #1
DeepUnderground #1 #2
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3
diburning #1 #2 (part 2) #3
Dogmatick #1 #2
erikatcuse #1
flo-e #1
FlyingCow #1 #2 #3
ginoa724 #1
Gregor #1
gsch #1 #2
HeavenlyJane #1 #2
holloway1000 #1
HWGeeks #1
iMedic #1
jamesteroh #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
jetset09 #1
jcnkc #1
Jinxy #1 #2
JoelThomas #1
jondabomb #1
jsds #1
Karl Gustav Annus #1 #2
kauppias #1 #2
kipper #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4
kirkwoodj #1
linzbh #1
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3
malexander131 #1
MappingChick #1 #2 #3 #4
Marcia3641 #1
mario02423 #1
mdbe #1
mdovenmuehler #1 #2
Meneer Guggenheimer #1 #2
Micp3208 #1
miko2a #1 #2
MissChele #1 #2 #3 #4
missydarlin #1
MrDplus #1 #2
nomadic.relief #1 #2
nwncl #1
obunewbie17 #1
ohlradio #1 #2
omriba #1
onetess #1
onlyairfare #1 #2
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
PandaSoPink #1
Recondite #1
Redhead #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
samosa #1 #2
sammyindc #1
sandratravels #1 #2
santina91 #1 #2
ScGhost0 #1 #2
shutterbugguy #1 #2 #3
smc333 #1
spartacus #1
sperkins921 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
steveman518 #1 #2 #3 (part 2)
stingtx #1
sweetcreamytea #1 #2
tcl #1 #2 (part 2)
Thatguyatthebar #1
token385 #1 #2 #3
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Tpa-flyer #1
tzvilev #1 #2 #3
WIRunner #1 #2 #3
WriterGirlLinds #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
yunicorner #1 #2
YVRorange #1
Print Wikipost

Secret Santa 2017 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:09 pm

IMO purely in terms of utility I still think it's better to put it in the area where we write about ourselves. I've previously put in desired shipping dates for personal reasons and my Santas were able to accommodate it. Whereas every other field is important for every participant I'm not sure how much use a proposed new field is, but that's just my opinion to finish this on my end.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
We just returned yesterday from two weeks in Sicily (where I found a cool gift for my recipient & bought one for myself!), so my package isn't going to be shipped until next week as I still have to add the remaining items which are local in nature. I fully intend to ship it by whatever means necessary (express reindeer?) to make sure it arrives well before the 24th, but I just wanted to place this note in here so nobody thought I'd forgotten what I'm supposed to be doing for my Secret Santa! :-)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Woohoo! Today I picked up a package coming from my Canadian Santa (Reg) and I couldn’t resist just peeking to get a glimpse of the contents. The smell was so good I just had to open it to discover a lovely array of goodies: two bath bombs, a body lotion, a soap and a bath oil from Lush (plus a catalogue!), a pair of mittens and a beanie (both very Canadian ), a tin with a beautiful Teavana tea blend and a lovely handwritten card.

I’m trying unsuccessfully so far to upload pics. Last time I could do it, but I can’t get around it now. I’ll try and edit this post and see what happens. I manage to do it! In any case, thank you so so much, Canadian Secret Santa!

Last edited by FlyingCow; Dec 1, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Lush is the bomb. That's a great gift, I would have loved it. Although I got this Aesop stuff for my gift which is also crazy good and has some very sophisticated scents I love.

I dropped my gift off at USPS on Monday and they said it would arrive on Wednesday. It's Friday and the online tracking doesn't give me hope that it will even be delivered today.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sperkins921
Is there a logo on the glass? It looks like it from the crop of the pic.

What is more concerning is what was in the glass and was it yummy? hahahahaha
Oh, yes i suppose I should have reformatted the photo. They have a Seattle Seahawks logo etched on them.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
How would most folks know which holiday their giftee observes? If I knew my giftee celebrated Hanukkah rather than Christmas, I'd be happy to ship early out of respect for their tradition.

What would folks think of Wharvey adding "Which December holiday do you observe?" to the questions next year to make this event a bit more inclusive?
It's totally not a big deal either way - I was just trying to add some lighthearted cheer. (Although...a little menorah next to the Santa on the left would be fun!)

I do celebrate Hanukkah but I will be happy when my gift arrives, whenever that is!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Santa's Workshop
The first Hanukkah (Chanukah) candle is lit the evening of Tuesday December 12. Santa's Workshop always has a Menorah on display (with the appropriate number of candles lit). More here > https://www.almanac.com/content/when-is-hanukkah

And before anyone beats me up > Kwanzaa begins !2/26 and continues through January 1.

Reminder - Santa wharvey asks that you email him when you send your gift. He also wants to know what you received and when. Please don't get on his naughty list by not complying with this request. The old boy can get a little testy. The last thing the Elves need to see in the workshop is a grumpy Santa.
onetess and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by HeadElf53
Reminder - Santa wharvey asks that you email him when you send your gift. He also wants to know what you received and when. Please don't get on his naughty list by not complying with this request. The old boy can get a little testy. The last thing the Elves need to see in the workshop is a grumpy Santa.
Clarification, please.

Amazon sends me notices when I order something, when they ship it and again when it is delivered. When do we notify Santa, when it's shipped or delivered?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Clarification, please.

Amazon sends me notices when I order something, when they ship it and again when it is delivered. When do we notify Santa, when it's shipped or delivered?
You'll have to re-read what was originally outlined; and far be it for me to comment but, I'd let him know when you/Amazon said it was shipped. It will be up to your giftee to tell Santa what was received and when.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
I've been keeping Santa updated, but I'm going to assume (although I guess I shouldn't) that due the sheer number of us vs poor Santa that we should consider it normal if we get no response? I've finished three presents with four and five going out next week and I've kept him updated, but no response. I thought that was normal and didn't worry, but now I'm wondering if I need to resend or something?

Originally Posted by HeadElf53
The first Hanukkah (Chanukah) candle is lit the evening of Tuesday December 12. Santa's Workshop always has a Menorah on display (with the appropriate number of candles lit). More here > https://www.almanac.com/content/when-is-hanukkah

And before anyone beats me up > Kwanzaa begins !2/26 and continues through January 1.

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue
For the people who have Dutch people to send gifts..HURRY up! It is coming Tuesday! On the 5th of December we celebrate Sinterklaas. (do not worry, almost everybody in the Netherlands does not mind a gift under the tree later int the month!)

Santa Klaus was partly 'made' big in the new world by Coca Cola partially based on this tradition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
HeavenlyJane likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sperkins921
I've been keeping Santa updated, but I'm going to assume (although I guess I shouldn't) that due the sheer number of us vs poor Santa that we should consider it normal if we get no response? I've finished three presents with four and five going out next week and I've kept him updated, but no response. I thought that was normal and didn't worry, but now I'm wondering if I need to resend or something?
Stop worrying. You'll hear from Santa if there are any issues. Now leave the boss alone. He's busy. T - 23 days.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
For the people who have Dutch people to send gifts..HURRY up! It is coming Tuesday! On the 5th of December we celebrate Sinterklaas. (do not worry, almost everybody in the Netherlands does not mind a gift under the tree later int the month!)

Santa Klaus was partly 'made' big in the new world by Coca Cola partially based on this tradition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
Our favorite movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039628/trivia Miracle on 34th Street.

Our favorite part is when Santa speaks Dutch to the little orphan Dutch girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkfSirpTWs
​​​​​​​
Watch the video below.

Last edited by HeadElf53; Dec 2, 2017 at 1:20 pm Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkfSirpTWs
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
I was panicking because my recipient is in the Netherlands and have only managed to find something that will be useful / fun instead of getting something obvious!

I hope he/she does not mind it arriving after the 5th of December!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

I received a wonderful box of teas from one of my Flyertalk Secret Santas today! There is a selection of 7 loose teas plus 3 additional flavors to try. It has been a tough 48 hours-my Mom is out of state at an assisted living facity. She isn’t doing well-and I have been sad about the likelihood that her 89th Christmas may be her last. Coming home to the box of teas after a 4 hour train ride home today really lifted my spirits. Thank you, Santa!

Here are the 7 teas that were in the Harney and Sons box. My husband made me peanut butter chocolate chip cookies to welcome me home-tea and cookies it is!
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.