Reload this Page >

Los Angeles (LAX) Travel Hacking and MS Meetup - Sunday, October 15, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Flying Machine
Next meeting Sunday, October 15, 2017, 3PM-4:30PM at Manoly’s Bakery, 11771 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025 (see post 31 for more info)

Attendees:
SeanTek
Flying Machine
cajunguy
ssimon86 (probably)
trunksy
brother of neighbor into travel & miles (FT handle unknown)
Print Wikipost

Los Angeles (LAX) Travel Hacking and MS Meetup - Sunday, October 15, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I've changed the date in the title for the next meetup. Please post here if you would like the rest of the thread title changed as "Travel Hacking and MS" might put some members off (unless that's what the meetup is about ).

NewbieRunner, co-mod, CommunityBuzz
Thanks! The title remains the same: Travel Hacking and MS Meetup. ^
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:40 pm

Thanks for setting this up. I think I can make it...going to plan on going if I can.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:47 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SeanTek
I wish I knew what the title meant!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 1P
I wish I knew what the title meant!
Travel Hacking and MS = ways to extend your travel expenditures, earn more points and benefits, and manufactured spending to again earn more points and benefits.

David
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Would it make sense to rename the event to LAX Flyertalk Community Meetup?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I'm a maybe.. When the OP posts the attendees that are confirmed I will make the decision from maybe to Yes. Reason being OP posts are mostly MS (which I'm not interested in) and when asked to update the title, he replied no. Therefore, I'm not interested in meeting 2 MS/Hackers (like the last meeting..) but I am very much into building the LAX DO's and the community (others here know my following especially when Sweet Willie is in town) I am neutral at the moment.. OP why the PM's? Most DO's are communicated via the thread.. That's why I'm replying here an not to your PM.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I'm a maybe.. When the OP posts the attendees that are confirmed I will make the decision from maybe to Yes. Reason being OP posts are mostly MS (which I'm not interested in) and when asked to update the title, he replied no. Therefore, I'm not interested in meeting 2 MS/Hackers (like the last meeting..) but I am very much into building the LAX DO's and the community (others here know my following especially when Sweet Willie is in town) I am neutral at the moment.. OP why the PM's? Most DO's are communicated via the thread.. That's why I'm replying here an not to your PM.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Ditto. If this winds up being more of a general FT DO, I'll try to swing by before I fly back to PDX.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Ok so the post yesterday was something like this:

Hello thread, here's an update on attendees:
me
jediwho
jediwho's friend (unsure of FT handle)
ssimon86
trunksy
2 acquaintances from SD (unsure of FT handles, I'm pretty sure they have them though)

That's 7 so far. After the initial meeting, it is entirely possible that folks can go out for a communal meal.

As a reminder, if you don't find parking within a block, there is a lot that is empty on Sundays at 11501 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90025 (1˝ blocks away).

I found the original post (guess it was just Previewed...my bad for having too many tabs open ). I also wrote:
Well I would like to keep it focused on the named topics: with those topics alone it will definitely be pushing a full hour. Of course folks are welcome to keep on talking and have a general communal meal afterwards! (For those who want to expand the topics or shift to different topics, this could still be a good opportunity to get together and decide how to organize future, larger meetups or what folks seem to be calling "DOs".)

Hopefully there will be more. Keep flying!

Last edited by SeanTek; Sep 28, 2017 at 9:45 am Reason: found original post
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be interested as well, along the lines as posted by Flying Machine.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:09 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Im in

Seeking like-minded individuals in Los Angeles, CA (LAX) for title topic.
where?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftv
where?
Here:

Meeting 1 is scheduled:
Sunday October 1, 2017 at 3:15pm
Mateo’s Ice Cream & Fruit Bars (Newly Opened)
11551 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90025
We will try to keep it to an hour, but if people want to stay later that is cool too.
There is street parking, parking at Santa Monica Blvd and Federal Ave (halfway up Federal Ave, on east side), and parking at Santa Monica Blvd and Butler Ave (halfway up Butler Ave, on west side: Bank of America lot).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I'm in, looking forward to meeting fellow FTers.. Thanks! Sean Tek for setting this up..
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:11 pm

4theride and I are here
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:56 pm

Nice to meet everyone today! I had enjoyed the lively conversation and meeting fellow FTers here in Los Angeles..
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for attending! We had five attendees:
  • me
  • Flying Machine
  • 4TheRide
  • ssimon86
  • jediwho

So are are inching totwards critical mass. Look forward to the next meeting! Tentatively I would say we would like to set one up for mid-October.

At Meeting 1, Flying Machine expressed interest in a dinner. I'm okay with a dinner but really only can "DO" certain Saturdays for dinners; a few weekdays might be doable but only for very early (5pm, and we all know about the difficulties of LA traffic) or very late (after 9:30pm) dinners. Otherwise, two weeks from now is Sunday, October 15: we can aim for our Sunday 3:15pm time slot.

By the way, when I wrote "travel hacking" in the title, I was referring to what people would consider legitimate methods of finding hidden or exclusive deals, rather than, uh, illegitimate ones. (Thanks Flying Machine for clarifying this.) Off the top of my head, an example of a legitimate method would be to have option contracts on flights (aka, book and hold) because you are not sure what day or time you exactly want to book, then canceling the ones you don't want before the hold period expires. Mileage running would also be considered a legitimate method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.