Last edit by: beckoa
Code:
 Handle Arrival Flight City Pair Time    Departure  Flight City Pair Time
 beckoa 8/20/17 AS3382 PDX-MCI   2:49 PM 8/22/17    AS683  MCI-SEA   7:00 AM
Print Wikipost

KANSAS CITY - Dinner Do - Sun August 20, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
yes
I've put it out to the thread, still looking for other ideas, so far no one's volunteered any ideas.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...150657762.html

I half kid... I plan on making a visit sometime. Not sure when though- perhaps Tuesday if I can SDC to the later AS flight.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa

I half kid... I plan on making a visit sometime. Not sure when though- perhaps Tuesday if I can SDC to the later AS flight.
Of course you will visit. That new one is less than 15 minutes from the airport.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Bolding mine.

Another great throw-away line on Flyertalk. ^

I'll be in KC the following weekend (mentioned upthread). I'll be in town Saturday lunch - Monday lunch. Reviews on tripadvisor are solid. Since I'm going to have a car, do you think it's necessary to do this tour. I'm very capable of driving between LC, Gates, and Arthur B on my own. I realize I'll have fun with strangers, but what will I do on the other days if I can't sample more BBQ.

dh
Skip Gates, unless, as a former KC resident friend of mine (and FTer) once said, "you like mediocre barbecue and getting yelled at."

I decided to "trust but verify" his statement, and verify it I did. I even tried it a second time just to be sure my first time wasn't an aberration. I regret consuming those calories.

Joe's is a much, much better choice. They are probably best known for their pulled pork, but I'm a sucker for the Z-Man sandwich. Or both.

Anyway, I'm sure that everyone who's ever eaten meat in KC has their own opinion about which is the best and where you should go instead of somewhere else, and so I will stop short of recommending other joints, but my experience and feelings about Gates are strong enough I felt compelled to respond, even though it's sort of OT for this thread.

However, I did stumble upon this article that I think gives a pretty good treatment of the topic of BBQ in KC: http://www.435mag.com/October-2016/K...Best-Barbecue/

As for my own participation in this Do: turns out I'll now be coming from the east (BNA) instead of southwestern MO, so all things being equal, I probably will not be able to make it to KC. I'm still holding the hotel reservation, though, and if the weather looks bad in my other two destinations, KC is still a possibility...

I am not EVEN going to click on that link. I know exactly what is contained therein, and all I have to say is:

Last edited by jackal; Aug 7, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Gold
If people want to eat barbecue then the 2 nicest sit down restaurants are Q 39 and Jack Stack in the Crossroads area. Both are very popular and likely to be very very crowded on Sunday. They take reservations but every time I've gone to either one I never get seated at the reservation time, always a wait.

if everyone wants other than barbecue that is a whole different set of restaurant choices.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm planning to arrive in KC by Sunday noonish. Please add me to the list for dinner Sunday evening.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:55 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by susiesan
if everyone wants other than barbecue that is a whole different set of restaurant choices.
BBQ is the choice I think it is safe to say^
Originally Posted by iris30
I'm planning to arrive in KC by Sunday noonish. Please add me to the list for dinner Sunday evening.
will do, glad you can make it
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:12 am

BBQ is the choice I think it is safe to say
I recommend either the chicken z-man @ Joe's or the burnt ends @ Jack Stack. I may show up for Sunday dinner...wherever it's happening.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by holland
I recommend either the chicken z-man @ Joe's or the burnt ends @ Jack Stack. I may show up for Sunday dinner...wherever it's happening.
Never knew they had a chicken Z-Man at Ok Joes. I've always gotten the standard version along with a cup of the amazing gumbo. mmmmm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We've been to most of those mentioned in this thread but never to Q39. Therefore there are two votes for that one from this corner, mine and frantic's.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:39 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by monitor
We've been to most of those mentioned in this thread but never to Q39. Therefore there are two votes for that one from this corner, mine and frantic's.
I'm up for Q39.

Just for kicks I looked at their website & first reservation for 8 is at 7:45pm

So if this is a place that all want to go, we all need to confirm ASAP.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Anyone secure glasses yet?

Might be good to get a box for our group...if they are still available.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:23 pm

BBQ is the choice I think it is safe to say^
Yes please. ^
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm up for Q39.

FWIW, I'd be in favor of Q39. I've been three times and it's definitely quite good. But don't take my word for much, since I'm tentative at best...

I bought a box of 10 on Amazon for like $15. They were the good (ISO-rated, American-made, etc.) ones. Be wary of knock-offs.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
I'm up for Q39.

I'm in for Q39. ^
Time is perfect, location looks good.

I will bring along 5 pair of secure glasses - I already bought them via amazon.de and had it delivered to my hometown in Germany.
4 secure glasses could be give away.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
I'm in for Q39. ^
Time is perfect, location looks good.

I will bring along 5 pair of secure glasses - I already bought them via amazon.de and had it delivered to my hometown in Germany.
4 secure glasses could be give away.
Please put me down for two for dinner also. Q39 was great food when the BBQ Do went but was rather loud.

I also have spare viewing glasses. With the warnings that went out, I reordered and have 5 or so spare glasses marked ISO and American Paper Optics.
But the warnings also said some counterfeits were marked that way as well. Amazon also and not from the cheapest seller so I hope are real.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.