Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Old May 18, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm officially checked in for my first flight on the trip to OZ Fest. Flying Cathay Pacific BOS-HKG tonight. I took advantage of the stopover with Alaska miles and taking a side trip to Taipei before heading south.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Guess I should book a place to stay in Noosa Heads. Any of the Airbnb/condo folk have extra space they want to split? I was probably going to go the airbnb route.
I guess I should have booked a 2 bedroom after all
Bundy Bear likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am at the SFO UA "Polaris Lounge", making my way very slowly to Australia. The new UA Polaris Lounge is very impressive, with a restaurant, bar, wine list with champagne and several red and white wines, showers. Not crowded at all. Very enjoyable. Unfortunately my flight this morning UA RNO-SFO was 5 hours delayed, causing me to miss UA SFO-TPE. So I am rebooked on BR 1 am tonight SFO-TPE. Unfortunately in coach. Or as a friend of mine would say "economic class". But slowly I will make my way to MCY. "A pilgrim's progress".
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I am at the SFO UA "Polaris Lounge", making my way very slowly to Australia.
While you may be making your way slowly to Australia, I'm going the fast way there and the slow way home. Seriously it's taking me 4 days to get home but I swear there was a reason for it at the time.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I am at the SFO UA "Polaris Lounge", making my way very slowly to Australia. The new UA Polaris Lounge is very impressive, with a restaurant, bar, wine list with champagne and several red and white wines, showers. Not crowded at all. Very enjoyable. Unfortunately my flight this morning UA RNO-SFO was 5 hours delayed, causing me to miss UA SFO-TPE. So I am rebooked on BR 1 am tonight SFO-TPE. Unfortunately in coach. Or as a friend of mine would say "economic class". But slowly I will make my way to MCY. "A pilgrim's progress".
Not liking that update, I hope its a good economy seat, hopefully rest of trip runs smoothly.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Not liking that update, I hope its a good economy seat, hopefully rest of trip runs smoothly.
Bundy Bear - Thank you for your good thoughts, but economy class to Asia is economy class to Asia, Perhaps BR is better than most. The FAs are certainly easy on the eyes. I'm having a final glass of the Piper Heidsieck prior to going to the gate, as there will be no bubbles in economy glass. I asked about an upgrade to PE, and was told $750. So I will just suffer in Y, as I'm not about to pay $750 for PE!
Old May 19, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Foe a bunch of reasons our plans for Oz Fest travel have changed significantly. We'll now fly into BNE on thursday and then drive to Noosa on friday. We'll have one or possibly two seats available if anyone needs a ride. Our departure back to MEL will be out of OOL on the 1st and 4th of June.
chchkiwi likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Bundy Bear - Thank you for your good thoughts, but economy class to Asia is economy class to Asia, Perhaps BR is better than most. The FAs are certainly easy on the eyes. I'm having a final glass of the Piper Heidsieck prior to going to the gate, as there will be no bubbles in economy glass. I asked about an upgrade to PE, and was told $750. So I will just suffer in Y, as I'm not about to pay $750 for PE!
A flight delay RNO-SFO leading to a lost UG - this is Groundhog Day (the movie) for you, isn't it, Brendan?

BR offers a terrific Business Class product, and I hope Economy was at least tolerable. We just flew AF CDG-HKG on perhaps the best Business Class flight we've ever experienced, so we especially feel your pain!
Old May 19, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
Foe a bunch of reasons our plans for Oz Fest travel have changed significantly. We'll now fly into BNE on thursday and then drive to Noosa on friday. We'll have one or possibly two seats available if anyone needs a ride. Our departure back to MEL will be out of OOL on the 1st and 4th of June.
So you can pick me up at 1810 at MCY?

Great, thanks.

Old May 19, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
That's why I try to avoid connecting in SFO - great when operations are normal, but if anything goes south flights get delayed big time. Hope you enjoy BR. My longest flight in economy was on BR, LAX-TPE. More tolerable than most airlines economy but you're right - economy is economy. My longest flight to date was also on BR, IAH-TPE but in business - 16 hours flight + 2 hours delay at IAH due to mechanical so I enjoyed the business seat for 18 hours.

See you in Australia.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Austin787
That's why I try to avoid connecting in SFO - great when operations are normal, but if anything goes south flights get delayed big time.
Seem to recall restlessinRNO had a 24 hour delay at LAX last year due to issues there and missed his flight by minutes. He just can't win.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Austin787
My longest flight to date was also on BR, IAH-TPE but in business
My QF DFW-SYD flight on Monday will be my longest flight to date. I'm in business, so I'll clearly be fine, but I'm struggling a bit to wrap my mind around the time difference. Leave 9:50 pm Monday, arrive 6 am Wednesday.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My QF DFW-SYD flight on Monday will be my longest flight to date. I'm in business, so I'll clearly be fine, but I'm struggling a bit to wrap my mind around the time difference. Leave 9:50 pm Monday, arrive 6 am Wednesday.
At least it's an A380, so you can play golf or tennis in there...
angra likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
[off topic]

Stop looking at options. Just buy some tickets, then forget about it.
You only do so much in a few days on the ground

[on topic]
Well... it seems I've finally ticketed myself successfully on QF1578 on Friday the 25th. Should see everyone at dinner then (might be a tad bit late, depending on luggage etc).
Old May 19, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tom911
Seem to recall restlessinRNO had a 24 hour delay at LAX last year due to issues there and missed his flight by minutes. He just can't win.
Correct. Due to runway construction at LAX last year. As much as I prefer connecting in LAX over SFO, that was an occasion where SFO might have been preferable over LAX. Of course, in last year's Oz Fest my AUS-SFO flight was delayed 2 hours, but I had a 3 hour connection in SFO so was able to catch the UA SFO-SYD flight.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:57 pm

Late to confirm as usual.

Friday night and Saturday morning are out for me, but I am interested in coming to Saturday dinner.

I saw the numbers on the spreadsheet - will an extra person on top of the existing 33 be a problem?

For transport and accommodation, I'll be driving up from Brisbane. Most likely there won't be anywhere around to crash (bad pun) for the night so I'll need to drive back home after the evening has concluded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.