Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
My attendance has become uncertain. I find myself in a job situation (one I sought and want to do) that may require me to attend 2.5 weeks of mandatory training right around Memorial Day before I would leave for a 9-month detail (possibly longer) in South Asia. Things aren't quite final yet - I need to pass a medical exam and 7 people have to sign off on the Memorandum of Understanding - but it's looking very much like things will work out. I'd also need to do a fair amount of "housekeeping" work in my current position and at home before I leave, and I suspect that would prove very difficult to complete if I'm out of the country for more than a week. That said, I still have award tickets booked to and from Sydney (but have no other arrangements in place) and may be able to squeeze this trip into my schedule (my ambitious round-the-world plans for OZ Fest and the NUE DO are almost certainly a no=go, but it's possible I could do one or the other). I'm hoping to have more clarity within the next week, but as things are now, I simply cannot make a firm commitment. I'll be sure to post to the thread when I'm able to make a final decision.

Last edited by gvdIAD; May 3, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old May 3, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by gvdIAD
My attendance has become uncertain.
While certainly good news for you, I do not see this as good! I was quite looking forward to having a fellow lunatic doing both Do's. Certainly do hope you can make to one!!
Old May 4, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
While certainly good news for you, I do not see this as good! I was quite looking forward to having a fellow lunatic doing both Do's. Certainly do hope you can make to one!!
I will see you in NUE!
kirkwoodj and nomadic.relief like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
All booked (although flight to BNE on the Friday arrives 17:15 and will have a hirecar so may be a little late for dinner)
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We need to find this at the Zoo:

https://mashable.com/2018/05/07/john.../#jjKQG.ti5iqR
Old May 7, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
YES!!!
Old May 7, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
My attendance has become uncertain. I find myself in a job situation (one I sought and want to do) that may require me to attend 2.5 weeks of mandatory training right around Memorial Day before I would leave for a 9-month detail (possibly longer) in South Asia. Things aren't quite final yet - I need to pass a medical exam and 7 people have to sign off on the Memorandum of Understanding - but it's looking very much like things will work out. I'd also need to do a fair amount of "housekeeping" work in my current position and at home before I leave, and I suspect that would prove very difficult to complete if I'm out of the country for more than a week. That said, I still have award tickets booked to and from Sydney (but have no other arrangements in place) and may be able to squeeze this trip into my schedule (my ambitious round-the-world plans for OZ Fest and the NUE DO are almost certainly a no=go, but it's possible I could do one or the other). I'm hoping to have more clarity within the next week, but as things are now, I simply cannot make a firm commitment. I'll be sure to post to the thread when I'm able to make a final decision.
Be interesting to see which way this works out for you.I will be in Washington DC from 9 to 14 June so if you don't make it to Australia good chance I see you in Washington DC.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Looking to organize a catch up in Brisbane on the Wednesday or Thursday nights before Ozfest.

If you have a preferred day then let me know, I probably start the thread on AFF. but will keep track of both websites to gauge numbers.
Should be available either night.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Any advice for what to do in between the end of the DO and when I leave Australia? Friday afterward, so I'll have a few days. Spend a couple days in Brisbane before heading back to Sydney? Cool with city or outdoors, and I don't (can't) dive. Any suggestions welcome!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Any advice for what to do in between the end of the DO and when I leave Australia? Friday afterward, so I'll have a few days. Spend a couple days in Brisbane before heading back to Sydney? Cool with city or outdoors, and I don't (can't) dive. Any suggestions welcome!
I enjoyed a day trip to Moreton Island off Brisbane after an OzFest some years back. IIRC, KathyWdrf was on the same trip. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to choose Brisbane over any alternatives you're thinking about - after all, that's enough time for Alice Springs and Uluru if you've never been (I know you weren't at OzFest 11 there, but you might have gone some other time) - but if you end up picking Brisbane, it's a good way to spend a day.

Other than that, can anyone tell me why I keep torturing myself by remaining subscribed to this thread even though I can't go this year? I'll miss you folks!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Any advice for what to do in between the end of the DO and when I leave Australia?
Do you have any AA miles? Travel within Australia is 10,000 miles one way, so you could pretty much head anywhere in the country to explore. If you've never been as far west as Perth, I'd be tempted to head out there for a few days and you could easily sort out day trips.

I've done a 3 day tour from Alice Springs that included Ayers Rock, but if you're flying right into Ayers Rock be aware that hotels will be expensive. Probably best to sort out ground options there before you lock in any air travel. I'm back in Brisbane on Sunday/Monday then in Sydney Tuesday/Wednesday.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
there was some obscure remote outpost that @kirkwoodj recommended to me...
Old May 9, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Efrem
I enjoyed a day trip to Moreton Island off Brisbane after an OzFest some years back. IIRC, KathyWdrf was on the same trip. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to choose Brisbane over any alternatives you're thinking about - after all, that's enough time for Alice Springs and Uluru if you've never been (I know you weren't at OzFest 11 there, but you might have gone some other time) - but if you end up picking Brisbane, it's a good way to spend a day.
Thanks maybe I'll pop down to BNE for Sunday (since I'm getting to Sunshine Coast on Thursday).

Originally Posted by tom911
Do you have any AA miles? Travel within Australia is 10,000 miles one way, so you could pretty much head anywhere in the country to explore. If you've never been as far west as Perth, I'd be tempted to head out there for a few days and you could easily sort out day trips.

I've done a 3 day tour from Alice Springs that included Ayers Rock, but if you're flying right into Ayers Rock be aware that hotels will be expensive. Probably best to sort out ground options there before you lock in any air travel. I'm back in Brisbane on Sunday/Monday then in Sydney Tuesday/Wednesday.
Thanks. I'm actually seeing workable Y and some J availability for 10k/20k via AA, or Y via Avios. Maybe do BNE-PER in Y and then do their J transcon PER-SYD since it's a lieflat. I've never been to Perth/WA. I've only spent time on the east coast. Ayers Rock looks neat but time consuming to get to by plane.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You can also get to New Zealand for 15,000 miles one way and there's a nonstop from Brisbane if there's seats.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by angra
there was some obscure remote outpost that @kirkwoodj recommended to me...
I think you mean Longreach, mate.
angra likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.