Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM
We will not be attending Sunday dinner.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I am heading to BNE at mid afternoon on Sunday, so no sunday dinner for me.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Rightyo, taking other suggestions for Thursday evening, @nomadic.relief has suggested Land & Sea (aka Noosa Brewing), Moto, and Flux. They're a bit spread out, so everyone can be happy. Anyone else have any brilliant ideas? Cheers.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm back from my trip to the EU, time to book some flights it seems And a room with two beds

~beckoa
Old May 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Unfortunately, I am going to have to demote myself to bronze. Although I was somewhat confident I’d be able to attend a while back, things have changed and some personal family issues have led me to be unable to get away for an entire weekend right now, including the OzFest weekend. I’m bummed as I had award flights worked out both ways, but I will do everything in my power to be able to make it for the next year!
Old May 15, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm back from my trip to the EU, time to book some flights it seems And a room with two beds

~beckoa
You have days, hours, minutes, even seconds to make your reservations. Why rush
Old May 15, 2018, 4:26 pm

Yes to Sunday dinner!
Old May 16, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Will be attending Sunday evening dinner. Thanks for organizing!
Old May 16, 2018, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

~beckoa
Looks like I'm confirmed+1 for The Islander Noosa Resort arriving Friday the 25th, departing Tuesday the 29th.

Please upgrade me to Platinum for myself and +1. Will be doing Sat & Sun activities, maybe dinner Friday depending on how flights shake out. Is JQ that bad for a hop from SYD?
Old May 16, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Looks like I'm confirmed+1 for The Islander Noosa Resort arriving Friday the 25th, departing Tuesday the 29th.

Please upgrade me to Platinum for myself and +1. Will be doing Sat & Sun activities, maybe dinner Friday depending on how flights shake out. Is JQ that bad for a hop from SYD?
You should be fine. Just make sure you include baggage when you book (if you have any). Keep your expectations low.

Note that JQ do not leave from the QF domestic terminal so access to the QF lounges is a pain.
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I'm afraid I must downgrade to Bronze. The Memorandum of Understanding is mostly signed and the hiring memo needs only a few final tweaks before it is signed. Although I've been told no training is likely to occur the week of Memorial Day (though my soon-to-be-boss has suggested I might need to drop by her office to complete some paperwork then), my required pre-employment physical is scheduled for the afternoon of May 24. (I'd note that I was told when the physical would be completed; I was not asked about my availability). I had a very nice, saver business-class award booking on UA leaving the US on the 22d and arriving in SYD on the 24th. When I look now though, there are no saver awards the 24th or 25th even in economy class. And while my employer may be sending me to South Asia in Y, I'm not about to cross the Pacific on my own time in Y! Also, I do have a fair bit of housekeeping I need to do before I start the new assignment. It's possible I'll get to NUE Do the following weekend to catch up with a couple of OZ Festers, but I won't know for sure until late next week.

I'm really sorry I won't be able to see everyone this year; hopefully I'll be able to make it next year, but time will tell.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Somewhat like gvdIAD I am dealing with a bit of employment back and forth at the moment. I'm still planning to make it, but I'm waiting right now to hear back about a job that would require me to move across the country if I get it, and I don't know how much time they'd want before starting and consequently if spending two weeks out of the country is viable. If I don't hear anything by end of day Friday I'll be there, seeing as how I'm Australia bound on Monday.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have made a google map that reflects the information currently contained in posts #2 and #3 . I make no promise of future accuracy but am sharing in case others find it helpful:

Link to Map
Old May 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Welcome aboard ^
Several others on the JQ790. Are you on the later JQ788 (18:10 19:45)? You pay extra for almost everything, including water
Post 5 Flights of attendees as this google doc link

Originally Posted by gvdIAD
I'm afraid I must downgrade to Bronze.
<snip>
I'm really sorry I won't be able to see everyone this year; hopefully I'll be able to make it next year, but time will tell.
Tough luck you cannot make it. Hopefully next year you can make your 10th Oz Fest.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I am disappointed that we can't get to the Oz fests anymore as my need to travel with O2 makes it crazy impossible to carry my machine and enough lithium battery power to make the 30 hour trip.....we would have to lay over in LAX probably to qualify for only 3 batteries (4 lb each) required by OxygenToGo and Delta I know.
I I miss seeing you all and laughing til I cry with you but perhaps we will get to Oz independently to see you all in the future. xo dedehans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.