Search

CHICAGO - Flyertalk Thai Streetfood Dinner Do III - Mon March 13

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:11 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by polkacat
You're psychic, I am now a 100% definite confirmed!
those winning lotto numbers are:......
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Looking very good for me.
very good, hope your schedule allows
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Smile More street food.

Oooh. Here's an event that isn't too early in the day.
Yes, I have nothing else planned for the 13th. Please add me to the roster. Thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Put me down as a maybe. I get back from Asia Sunday and we'll have to see how I feel...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Sorry Willie but I've got opposing issures that day; hopefully we'll see everyone next time.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:40 pm

I too am a "probably+/attending" :-)

Look forward!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KMA26
Sorry Willie but I've got opposing issures that day
next time
Originally Posted by United747
Put me down as a maybe.
will do, hope your schedule allows
Originally Posted by pudgym29
Please add me to the roster.
Originally Posted by RuckusLoveU
I too am a "probably+/attending" :-)
very good!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
Weather could be a factor:

Monday: Snow. High near 32. East southeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

On the other hand, Patricia Barber is doing her regular Monday night gig at the Green
Mill just down the street starting at 9pm.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry, I'm not going to make it
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United747
Sorry, I'm not going to make it
thanks for the heads up, sorry you are unable to make
Originally Posted by shoeflyer
Weather could be a factor:
It sure could be, I'm planning of leaving work early enough so I can make it from Schaumburg to the restaurant with plenty of time.
Originally Posted by shoeflyer
On the other hand, Patricia Barber is doing her regular Monday night gig at the Green Mill just down the street starting at 9pm.
I was hoping to resist and now you've put the thought in my head. For those not familiar with Green Mill, it is a Chicago gem as is the Monday night regular Patricia Barber, world class jazz for only an $8 cover.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I made it into Chicago last night, so I will be there for the dinner tonight.

Not sure about Green Mill after as I have a pretty full day tomorrow....but I am known to give into temptation easily.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Cool Rice, spice, and more.

I'm still cohesive {inspect when this was posted}, and this is a good time for a v.92 internet user to get this content out here. People are just going to have to put up with color and an alternative font.
There were eight FlyerTalkers at IMMM on Monday night, 13 March 2017. Astonishingly, our fearless leader, Sweet Willie, had something happen to him that caused him to miss his own event(!). Let's just hope it was that his flight back to Chicago was delayed due to wintery conditions.
In his absence, we still managed to scarf up a bunch of intriguing and, for the most part, tasty dishes from Immm. I include photographs of many of them. One extra item, ordered by our resident vegetarian, of spring rolls (4 per order), and the pork with egg in broth, are what I missed.
I hauled out two 75 cL beer bottles from the beer cellar downstairs here at the domicile. One, the rye saison, was from the 2013 American Homebrewers' Association's National Homebrew Conference in Philadelphia, PA. I drove there, and the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint had its clutch cable break (in Harrisburg, PA.) on the way back; but I strongly suspect this was one of only a handful of conference commerative beers to get to the Central Time Zone. This beer was well suited for cutting the heat {oooh, another Harrisburg reference } of the which was our second entree. Someone remarked that it was a "3" on the heat scale, and I concur.
We ordered a few items which had been boosted in this thread. My favorite was the pork dish in broth with the soft-boiled egg. I am quite sure I do not have to scrawl that we had enough white rice for everybody.
I must show you the peculiar spelling on the menu which hopefully, somebody @ Immm will correct the next time.
This was another entree which was savory, and which I believe we can suggest to everybody who dines here. It was not too spicy.
Here is another item ordered. I think this was a solo order (v. a shared item) from one of our FT diners. There were daily specials which would have worked for either vegetarians, or carnivores, this Monday. But they were not ordered, so I have no photographs of them to circulate. This was the pork rinds. Yes, I had this as well. This was what we thought was not so good. Maybe you should skip this.
The second beer I brought was Unibroue's 2014 Winter Ale, bought @ Trader Joe's in November 2014. I have a bunch more of these 75 cL bottles in the cellar, and they all have a "Best by" date of 2 July 2017, so I need more excuses events to which to bring these. @:-)
The cost for this meal was $15.00 a person, which was a pretty good deal. You missed out. Get to these the next time.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Another great visit to Immmm. Legit, spot-on Thai food with very friendly, gracious hosts.

As indicated above, Sweet Willie was not able to make it, so we struggled along in his absence.

I didn't take very good notes on the menu, but the Kua Kling was a recommended favorite, and didn't disappoint for strong flavor and spice. (Dry curry ground meat dish). On this night, it was made with pork.

The staff was VERY good about addressing some dietary requirements, suggesting appropriate dishes and diligently confirming ingredients in some dishes.

The pork belly in broth (with the whole, hard cooked eggs) was good. Just like being in a small, mom-and-pop joint in Thailand. The Panaang Pork curry was a table favorite.

The Som Tam (Pappaya salad) was ordered with a spice level of 3 out of 5, which had a nice bite and heat.

Overall, great food and great service in a BYOB shop ideal for group dining. I had a very good time with the group of FTers. Fun conversations and sharing of stories. Something tells me a 4th DO is destined for the near future here.

Some pics:
Attached Images   
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the food shots and glad IMMM hit some good notes. Sorry I had to miss but thankful that troopers were able to make it out in the weather.

Till next time !
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA
No photos from me, just appreciation for another fantastic meal with wonderful company. And a thanks to goodeats21 for stepping up as the official Orderer of the Food!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:32 pm

Here's the "resident vegetarian" chiming in!

Can't speak to the meaty dishes, but I concur with the previous sentiments: Excellent Food and Fast Friendly Service!

This was my third Chi Do, and it's been great getting to know some of you fine folks. Now power down your devices and go for a snowly walk in this gorgeous Winterwonderland.

Till next time! ~David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.