Wiki Posts
Search

10th Annual WineDo - June 11, 2017 in NYC at North Square

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So naturally you'd be bringing something from the home continent?!
Like I did for last night - checked baggage sucks - but in this case it was worth it.

(Although it's less likely to happen after having a look fares that are currently being sold around that weekend. )
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
If DLRoads cares about my input, I'd suggest not January 13th or the 20th since I'll be in Japan But if he doesn't want me in attendance it will probably now be one of those two dates The 27th has a nice ring to it.
Originally Posted by serfty
+ the 26th is Australia Day!
SIN DO weekend of Jan 12-15
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Okay, let's see if I can list all bubbles from the blind taste

B4 stands for 2004 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année, thank you Bundy Bear
XL stands for... (please help me, have only part of the label), thank you msywings and long live MSY. I apologize that I don't have all label details. I'd fix it asap
Z6 stands for 1996 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé (magnum) thank you hudsonlaluna. Another thumb up/aka welldone, on the side table guessing a pierre paillard before it was even mentioned as a question!
MC stands for 2006 Moët & Chandon Champagne Grand Vintage Brut Rosé,
R3 stands for 2013 Random Wine Company Gamay Noir Methode Traditionelle Brut Rosé, from a winemaker who used to be one of us, aka- UCBeau, thank you UCBeau for making such an enjoyable, reviving inaugural bubbly
G8 stands for Gosset Champagne Grand Rosé Brut (magnum) so that no one would remain short of what a smart flyertalker defined us "what a great champagne".

Thank you team bubbles for going with working together to get such a diverse bubbly list, and for y'all for being patient through the blind tasting. imho, it did make it fun. ymmv, what do I know?
oh, And thank you Dan for going through that year after year after year...

*I'd try getting my partial taste notes later, but I'd send honorary mention to '07 Frick Counoise ^

PS- wrote down notes re 10.5. TBD. PS2- Four broken glasses, paging dh- is that a new wineDO record?

Last edited by DLroads; Jun 12, 2017 at 7:46 am
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Smile Thanks again

Another fantastic event from our host Dan Hammer. Thank you for the wonderful evening of great wines , food and company. And a big Thank You to DLroads for the Champagne quiz to start it all off. Looking forward to seeing what the theme is for next year.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Certainly a lovely evening with some great and many very good wines. It was also great to see some new faces at the table along with some faces that came a long way for this event. Thank you Dan for putting it all together.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:15 am

Went along with Bundy Bear & WOW what a night. Really nice people, nice wines & really well organised mainly thanks to Dan & "DL Roads" in particular. Well done guys ... if you missed this, you missed something special. If this is the hospitality offered in the US, then this my first trip won't be my last. Ross
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Another great evening. The wines that were born the year of WD1 (and even older) held up quite well!

We did not leave thirsty
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Like clockwork, I always forget to check this forum until too late in June! Argh - and my two favorite passions, wine and flying.

dhammer53 - let's do some NJ wining very soon!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The menu.

APPETIZERS

Lobster Ravioli Ricotta & Manchego Cheese, Shiitake Mushrooms, Crispy Kale,Lobster Cream Sauce 3
Lobster & Crab Cakes Seaweed & Vegetable Salad, Thai Curry Coconut Sauce 7
Tuna Tartare Ginger Cured Vegetables, Avocado, Lemon/Lime Vinaigrette 6
Crab & Corn Salad Blackened Corn, Crab Meat, Fennel, Tomatoes, Romaine, Basil, Mint, Parsley, Lemon Yogurt Dressing [B]5[/B
Endive Salad 3

MAIN COURSES

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Potato & Leek Galette, Rosemary Au Jus 6
Herb Roasted Free Range Chicken Breast Herb & Cheese Soft Polenta, Root Vegetables & Dried Fruit Ragout, Brown Au Jus 2
Spice Rubbed Duck Breast Roasted Parsnip Puree, Poached Pear, Taro Root Chips, Kumquat Relish Porto Sherry Glaze 8
Filet Mignon Au PoivreGrilled Vidalia Onion, Steak Cut Fries, Spicy Mustard, Bourbon Au Jus 9

DESSERTS

Key Lime Pie Crème Chantilly, Raspberry Chambord Coulis 8
Blueberry GaletteCrème Anglaise, Blueberry Port Sauce, Vanilla Ice Cream 7
Chocolate Mousse Cake Bitter Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate & Caramel Sauces, Chopped Heath Bar 7

Pretty close to what we enjoyed last year.
Greetings. WineDo attendees are a predictable crowd. I've listed above how many of each item was ordered. I'm surprised that we ordered more duck than usual. I'm also surprised that not everyone ordered dessert.

We had lots of Champagne, wines, and dessert wines to drink. This year was more problematic than normal. By the time we're just about finished with dinner, I usually have 2 bottles left to pour. This year it was 7. I was up and down like a yo-yo trying to keep up. It was an impossible task. Part of the holdup was the blind Champagne tasting. We usually start with Champagnes during the meet and greet, but this year Erez offered a blind tasting. It was a good idea; but if done in the future it will be part of the dinner service.

Speaking of all those wines, next year we really need to have more attendees partner up. I know it's fun tasting lots of wines, but it would be more fun to enjoy them. That's just my opinion. I think the ideal would be 12 - 18 bottles. This would allow for a more enjoyable experience. It would also allow me to sit down, drink, eat, and schmooze with my friends. ^

Several of us discussed the WineDo 11 theme. Possibilities - unusual varietals. This means no Chardonnay, no Cabernet Sauvignon, no Pinot Noir. Feel free to put in your 2 cents. All ideas welcome.

I really didn't take any notes (who had time), but I did jot down a comment or 2. I'll post that when I have some free time. I'm still recovering from the BRT on Saturday.

This year we had 3 (I think) new attendees. msywings, rabau, and hudsonlaluna (I wrote that without checking Lisa).

The best moments of dinner was when I was pouring into a certain mates glass that was always empty, and an arm always outstretched.

Special thanks to DLroads for coordinating the Champagnes.

We should have a 10 year old theme every year. Everyone really stepped up, and the quality of the wines made the dinner special.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Thanks, Dan, for your hospitality and hard work. It was a
stellar occasion as always. For the future, I suggest that
we double up (pick a partner, whatever) on bottles - that
way we can have a manageable number of pours of maybe
even better wines that many of us wouldn't have the
chance to otherwise try.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Many thanks Dan for hosting a wonderful evening. Great wine lineup, enjoyed the range of offerings (though a bit daunting the sheer quantity of pours!) and really enjoyed meeting some very nice folks at the table.

Special thanks to DLRoads for the generous Champagne quiz. Was brilliant and quite fun (fr someone just a tad partial to bubbles).

Looking forward to 11.0!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:17 pm
mjm
Original Member

Notes would be good. Come on folks, I am curious. :-)

On future dinners, to do it right (i.e. really taste and enjoy good wines), you would want no more than 10 pours per bottle and probably no more than 8-10 bottles for that same 10 people. Beyond that you'll get lost palate-wise. Partnering, fixing tables and wines would be a better idea than a free for all if it is a wine dinner. If it is a wine tasting, likely stand up and finger food you can have unlimited wines people can taste until the supply is exhausted.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm

On future dinners, to do it right (i.e. really taste and enjoy good wines), you would want no more than 10 pours per bottle and probably no more than 8-10 bottles for that same 10 people. Beyond that you'll get lost palate-wise. Partnering, fixing tables and wines would be a better idea than a free for all if it is a wine dinner. If it is a wine tasting, likely stand up and finger food you can have unlimited wines people can taste until the supply is exhausted.
After having attended, what, 8 of the 10 dinners, it would take a lot of the fun and informality out of the dinner. Am I going to end up at "the wrong table" where perhaps, it is California Pinot heavy, or at a table where I'm going to want/need to adjust my food selection? Part of what makes this so fun is the "free for all" part of this, and the fact that it isn't "done right." The serious wine-ohs (looks so much nicer that way) have a myriad of dinners throughout the year to attend the "right way." And given that many of us don't take everything, most every bottle has something left after making the round of 24.

What I do think is a good idea, and which I try and do at most of these, is get up myself to round the tables and introduce what I brought. Only a few of us did that this time. Not only does it associate the pourer with the wine (and any possible questions, etc.) but it gets the pourer off his ... for a few, and allows our grand and gracious host and organizer a better chance to enjoy his meal.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:56 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
After having attended, what, 8 of the 10 dinners, it would take a lot of the fun and informality out of the dinner. Am I going to end up at "the wrong table" where perhaps, it is California Pinot heavy, or at a table where I'm going to want/need to adjust my food selection? Part of what makes this so fun is the "free for all" part of this, and the fact that it isn't "done right." The serious wine-ohs (looks so much nicer that way) have a myriad of dinners throughout the year to attend the "right way." And given that many of us don't take everything, most every bottle has something left after making the round of 24.

What I do think is a good idea, and which I try and do at most of these, is get up myself to round the tables and introduce what I brought. Only a few of us did that this time. Not only does it associate the pourer with the wine (and any possible questions, etc.) but it gets the pourer off his ... for a few, and allows our grand and gracious host and organizer a better chance to enjoy his meal.
Made the suggestions in the spirit of hoping to find a new theme, new style, something different than WineDos 1-10.

I guess one person’s fun is another person’s bane. I would enjoy a dinner at which I were drinking wines suited for the food and which I could taste on their own and in accompaniment to the food. Having a bunch of people distracting from that who wanted to taste a wine designed to part of a flight would be a huge bummer. Be a bit like having kids running around who took away from the adults’ meal.

By pre-notifying people what wines are at what table and having sign–ups you would never be able to be at the “wrong” table. Food is always disclosed in advance so there is no concern there.

If the goal is just a wine themed potluck, no change required. If a wine dinner is the goal there are a few things that could be adjusted to make it one.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Notes? The bubbles: All solid. I don't know if my review or expectations would have differed had I known in advance

2004 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année - Loved it
msywings selection (name unknown) - very good
1996 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé - after the first two, "it was fine" but I was surprised to find out what it was - perhaps it was past its prime, perhaps not, but this was the consensus of a few in my vicinity.
2006 Moët & Chandon Champagne Grand Vintage Brut Rosé - what could be bad about this one!
2013 Random Wine Company Gamay Noir Methode Traditionelle Brut Rosé - I really liked this.
Gosset Champagne Grand Rosé Brut - Tasty, and there was enough left from this magnum for a "palate cleanser" later

(The rest to follow in the next post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.