Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

10th Annual WineDo - June 11, 2017 in NYC at North Square

10th Annual WineDo - June 11, 2017 in NYC at North Square

Old May 15, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Looks like you cleared. Still interested mnmag?
Yes! -- & just sent $ via paypal! Looking forward to this!

Am planning to bring bubbles -- will post when I obtain it! (Am really busy until after memorial day!)
Old May 15, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by mnmag
Yes! -- & just sent $ via paypal! Looking forward to this!

Am planning to bring bubbles -- will post when I obtain it! (Am really busy until after memorial day!)
Received. Looking forward to seeing and drinking your bubble choice.

dh
Old May 19, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
If all goes as planned, I'll bring a 2013 Huber Estate Santa Rita Hills Dornfelder. (Falling under the unique varietals category). A German grape grown in Santa Barbara Co. California... who knew?

Serving suggestion: could be a good transition from the last bottle of red into whoever is bringing Port.

(Dan: being 2013 let me know if this doesn't pass the entry bar.)
Old May 20, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is the 10th anniversary of our wine dinners. Our theme this year is wines (from anywhere) that are 10 + years old. Don't have a wine that old, our custom at these dinners is to bring a Champagne or a sweet wine.
Another sub-theme is unusual varietals. Doesn't have to be 10 years old, but bonus points will be awarded.
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
If all goes as planned, I'll bring a 2013 Huber Estate Santa Rita Hills Dornfelder. (Falling under the unique varietals category). A German grape grown in Santa Barbara Co. California... who knew?

Serving suggestion: could be a good transition from the last bottle of red into whoever is bringing Port.

(Dan: being 2013 let me know if this doesn't pass the entry bar.)
Nice to know that someone actually read the thread. I like your choice of the Huber Dornfelder.

See you in 3 weeks.

Please post your wines if you're local. I know the out-of-towners can't do this. If anyone is sourcing from DLRoads, I'm sure he'll post your Champagne as soon as he figures out what you're bringing.

Dan
Old May 27, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
With the permission of d'host, I will announce (Again, it fell somewhere in the flow of posts) that there would be at least three bubbles -- if not more-- served blind. All bubbles that I am aware of are at least 10 years old, and all bubbles are from champagne (there is one exception)

If you do plan to bring bubbles and would like to add it to the 'blind' line, please let me know. Be great to taste them side by side and only then reveal.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DLroads
All bubbles that I am aware of are at least 10 years old, and all bubbles are from champagne (there is one exception)
Does it then follow that all the champagne are from bubbles? (I took Logic in 1982 or so ... and my memory has been washed out by decades of bubbles )
Old May 27, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anna cordelli is bringing a 2007 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a wine from Todd Anderson of ACV (Anderson Conn Valley). This is top of the line, and only fitting that Anna is bringing another sentimental favorite. ^

2 weeks to go.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
6:30 - ? We usually finish up around 9:30. A couple of years ago, we closed down the place close to 11:00. North Square didn't charge us an extra time fee, but we should be considerate of the staff.

The evening will have lots of miles, points, and etc discussion. Note to new attendees, once everyone has some wine in them, we all mellow out.

We're even welcoming of those that are inter-married between airlines.

dh
Start time should also be posted at top (first post).
Old May 31, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I know we have some time, but let's discuss a theme for next year.

Possibles:

ABC > anything but chardonnay and cabernet sauvignons.
European only wines.
Down Under wines.
American wines.
Woman winemakers. I googled this a while back, and there are plenty of woman winemakers.

Suggestions to keep it interesting?

Dan
Old May 31, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hate to pull the DYKWIA routine to make my 2nd WineDo, and 3rd consecutive WineDo 0/0.5, but if any chance for an extra seat, let me know! I might have a surprising amount of free time this coming weekend and be able to attend, if the waitlisted can't attend, of course. Don't want to jump the queue!
Old May 31, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possibles:

European only wines.
Down Under wines.
American wines.
Woman winemakers. I googled this a while back, and there are plenty of woman winemakers.

Bored-O varietals/blends from around the world.
Rhone varietals/blends from around the world.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Start time should also be posted at top (first post).
:-: I meant to tell you earlier that you once again made an excellent wine selection. :-: You have quite the cellar.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
:-: I meant to tell you earlier that you once again made an excellent wine selection. :-: You have quite the cellar.

U know it's my wine guy's cellar. And U know my wine guy.

Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:40 am
mjm
Original Member

I know we have some time, but let's discuss a theme for next year.

Possibles:

European only wines.
Down Under wines.
American wines.

Dan
I think that you can count on 30% at least of contributors bringing bubbles, and at least 10% bringing something sweet. So given that and the knowledge of the menu of the organizers, how about you, DL, etc. put together a list of varietals for the other 60%ish of the wines being brought that would suit the food and assign each a number then let attendees choose a number as soon as they sign up or pay? Wine is after all, so much less without food to make 1+1 =3.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
I think that you can count on 30% at least of contributors bringing bubbles, and at least 10% bringing something sweet. So given that and the knowledge of the menu of the organizers, how about you, DL, etc. put together a list of varietals for the other 60%ish of the wines being brought that would suit the food and assign each a number then let attendees choose a number as soon as they sign up or pay? Wine is after all, so much less without food to make 1+1 =3.
So complicated, it would never work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.