Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

10th Annual WineDo - June 11, 2017 in NYC at North Square

10th Annual WineDo - June 11, 2017 in NYC at North Square

Reply

Old Jun 14, 17, 11:29 pm
  #151  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,135
'00 Nigl Riesling Privat
'90 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Kestener Paulinsberg Riesling Spätlese.
One of the two of these had seen better days, but was still drinkable. The other was nice. I enjoy the opportunity to try things from my "I'm still stopping at Sutter Home during my Napa Valley visits" era.
'14 Huber Dornfelder -I recall tasting and enjoying this.
'03 Foxen Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir - Did not try
'07 Frick (Dry Creek Valley) C2 - one of my favorites
'07 Frick (Dry Creek Valley) Counoise - very good, possibly a year past its peak (as I had a bottle last year).
'06 Domaine de la Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf-du-Pape - What could go wrong with a nice CDP? Not much.
'05 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Champoux Vineyard - Very good
'07 Fidelitas Cab Champoux Vineyard - Also very good
'07 Lewelling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - Also also very good
'07 ACV Cab Sauv Reserve - Better than very good
'07 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon - Could have been my favorite of the evening.
'09 Shiraz VP from Rockfords - did not try
'01 Kilikanoon Oracle Shiraz from the Clare Valley - Do not recall if I tried.
'07 Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Montefico - Tried, and liked it.
'03 Suduiraut Sauternes - I had 1 of the Sauternes - not sure which one, and it was good but I'm not a big Sauternes guy.
'89 Ch. Latour Blanche Sauternes - see above
'97 Rozes, Vintage Port - did not try.
I didn't take notes. I don't take notes at these things. I just "soak it all up" and leave all wine seriousness in a different time zone. I did note that overall, I really enjoyed almost everything I consumed ... which was plenty ... but not as much as the dude across the table And our table was the only one not to break any glassware!
Eastbay1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 12:11 am
  #152  
mjm
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Tokyo, Japan (or Vienna whenever possible)
Posts: 5,141
Thanks for the 'notes"

Was looking for more in the way of appearance, nose, palate, other considerations.

Two that were of interest were:

'07 ACV Cab Sauv Reserve
'07 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon

Curious to know how the oak level was, how the ripeness of the grapes had been handled, if it could age or was ready now, etc.
mjm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:13 pm
  #153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,324
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
By pre-notifying people what wines are at what table and having sign–ups you would never be able to be at the “wrong” table. Food is always disclosed in advance so there is no concern there.

If the goal is just a wine themed potluck, no change required. If a wine dinner is the goal there are a few things that could be adjusted to make it one.
As you noticed above, 8 people ordered duck. That would have suggested a sweetish wine, Riesling, Champagne, or a pinot noir type wine. To me, serving cabernet at the end of dinner was a mistake to those 8 people. At wine dinners I've attended at Peking Duck House in NY (the home of the first .5 winedo), my friends at Wineberserkers.com drank every varietal you can imagine (and they're in the know). That said, I guess we can drink whatever we like, whether it goes with the food or not.

I always remind myself that we're a bunch of frequent flyers that love to talk miles, points, and etc. As my friend Canarsie would say, we whine about it.

WineDo 10 was a real step up from previous dinners. Everyone stepped up. Multiple bottles of wines that were from 2007 and earlier. Can we somehow tweak this for next year? Yes. The devil is in the details. I can promise everyone reading one thing, we will figure it out.

I'm not in favor of assigned seating. I know some would prefer this option, but dinner is about mingling and having fun.

Dan
dhammer53 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:21 pm
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,324
Originally Posted by mjm View Post

Was looking for more in the way of appearance, nose, palate, other considerations.

Two that were of interest were:

'07 ACV Cab Sauv Reserve
'07 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon

Curious to know how the oak level was, how the ripeness of the grapes had been handled, if it could age or was ready now, etc.
No oak in either wine. Both are drink or hold. Both are enjoyable. Maybe you should go to ACV for another visit mjm.

The '07 ACV was $60.

The '07 Ghost Horse was $100. The GH was a little better than the ACV, but not $40 better. There are better 'value' wines in the $50 - $100 range than the GH. FYI, Anna brought this. It so happens I have a bottle sitting in my basement that will sit for a minimum of 5 years.

Because I was up and down pouring, I took very limited notes.

dh
dhammer53 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:28 pm
  #155  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,324
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I did note that overall, I really enjoyed almost everything I consumed ... which was plenty ... but not as much as the dude across the table And our table was the only one not to break any glassware!
Deny deny deny.

I drove home perfectly.
Dan
dhammer53 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 6:07 pm
  #156  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,072
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
...
'01 Kilikanoon Oracle Shiraz from the Clare Valley - Do not recall if I tried..
It was the last (non fortified) wine poured - and from a carafe.

By that time palates were rather overindulged - IMHO it held up even then but it's my sort of vino.
serfty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 6:55 pm
  #157  
mjm
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Tokyo, Japan (or Vienna whenever possible)
Posts: 5,141
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
No oak in either wine. Both are drink or hold. Both are enjoyable. Maybe you should go to ACV for another visit mjm.

The '07 ACV was $60.

The '07 Ghost Horse was $100. The GH was a little better than the ACV, but not $40 better. There are better 'value' wines in the $50 - $100 range than the GH. FYI, Anna brought this. It so happens I have a bottle sitting in my basement that will sit for a minimum of 5 years.

Because I was up and down pouring, I took very limited notes.

dh

I am sitting in several bottles of '07 and '08 and opened a few in 2015. The oak is definitely prevalent but less so than in other Napa Cabs thankfully. Pleased to hear it seems to be integrating, I think I will bring some back from my cellar in the US next trip. :-) Thanks for the tip.
mjm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 6:57 pm
  #158  
mjm
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Tokyo, Japan (or Vienna whenever possible)
Posts: 5,141
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
As you noticed above, 8 people ordered duck. That would have suggested a sweetish wine, Riesling, Champagne, or a pinot noir type wine. (a bit snipped to save space....)
The best pairing for duck is syrah or grenache. Give either a try. Pinot would work. Riesling or bubbles I would not do with duck.
mjm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 9:18 pm
  #159  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,270
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Because I was up and down pouring, I took very limited notes.
You pour man. At past Wine Do's like the Tribeca Grill with big round tables there was more jumping up to try other wines at other tables but at North Square with some seats against the wall there's less ability to easily do that so I appreciated your coming around to share the vino.

'06 Domaine de la Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf-du-Pape - What could go wrong with a nice CDP? Not much.
The host sourced this for me and must say I quite enjoyed it along with the Bollinger and Foxen as my top three. So many excellent wines and good company it was a very rich social evening. My thanks to dhammer53!
tcook052 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 5:21 pm
  #160  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 23,697
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
If DLRoads cares about my input, I'd suggest not January 13th or the 20th since I'll be in Japan But if he doesn't want me in attendance it will probably now be one of those two dates The 27th has a nice ring to it.
1/27 might work ... will have to be in Munich the following week ... worse comes worse I'll fly out Sunday night from NYC
cfischer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:21 pm
  #161  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,324
Erez, my only good January dates for .5 are January 20 and January 27.

dh
dhammer53 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 8:04 pm
  #162  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MR Gold, WR Diamond, BW Diam Sel
Posts: 15,520
Thanks to Dan and all of you for yet another June Wine Do!!! Maybe one of these years I will make it to a Winter one as well.... though NYC winter weather can be dicey. (Good hotel rates, though.)
KathyWdrf is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 3:41 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westchester Co, NY or Rio Grande Valley, TX or ???
Programs: Hanging onto BAEC(G);HH(G via AX Plt);SPG/MAR(T); was [UA2P, WN A-, FL A+Elite, BD G, Hyatt P/GLB]
Posts: 1,681
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Deny deny deny.

I drove home perfectly.
Dan
I cannot testify to Dan's first statement, but I will state for the record that Dan was a more-than-competent chauffeur after the dinner.

Some more notes for mjm:

I will echo Dan's comments on the '07 ACV and '07 Ghost Horse - no oak to speak of; the GH was a little more pleasing to me but not by a lot.

The 1996 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé had a strong mineral note at first, but soon blended into a very nice offering. I'm still a bit surprised that my guess that this seemed related to Paillards that we have had was dead on - I must have learned something in the past 5 years.

The '90 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Kestener Paulinsberg Riesling Spätlese was past its prime but still worth tasting. The Nigl Riesling was very good.

The '07 Frick (Dry Creek Valley) Counoise went very well with my lamb chops.
HPN-HRL is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 6:24 pm
  #164  
mjm
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Tokyo, Japan (or Vienna whenever possible)
Posts: 5,141
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL View Post
Some more notes for mjm:

I will echo Dan's comments on the '07 ACV and '07 Ghost Horse - no oak to speak of; the GH was a little more pleasing to me but not by a lot.

The 1996 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé had a strong mineral note at first, but soon blended into a very nice offering. I'm still a bit surprised that my guess that this seemed related to Paillards that we have had was dead on - I must have learned something in the past 5 years.

The '90 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Kestener Paulinsberg Riesling Spätlese was past its prime but still worth tasting. The Nigl Riesling was very good.

The '07 Frick (Dry Creek Valley) Counoise went very well with my lamb chops.
Thank you sir :-)
mjm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 17, 12:36 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: JFK,ATL,LGA (the rest of the world follows)
Programs: DL KM/DM/MM (NH Plat, emeritus CO Plat, and no place like home)
Posts: 3,110
Though I'm on the roads, I've been asked few times. Hence, I will make the following announcement:
1. I'm noting the 27th request. Hence, I will aim at jan-27-2018. No guarantees, but I'd do my at most to meet this request.
2. That said, due to other research constraints, I will not get to think the details before mid-September. (Maybe after labor day weekend, if I'm somewhat lucky)
3. As you know, once we set the date, the date is set. We do not let anything - rain, shine, snowstorm, governors' closeout, weddings, bar mitzvas, or any other details interfere with the master plan for the masters meal.

I'm asking y'all et al to please stay tuned, and raise a glass of nice wine for your summer joy
DLroads is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread