18th Annual BRT - June 10, 2017 Saturday in Brooklyn NY

18th Annual BRT - June 10, 2017 Saturday in Brooklyn NY

Old May 16, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
Please add me to the waitlist.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Sure thing.

Nice meeting you in Chicago.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
Sorry, it sounds great but I will not be able to make it.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Any more updates on the BRT itinerary? Just curious.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gringo.Loco - you cleared. Still interested?

Originally Posted by tcook052
Any more updates on the BRT itinerary? Just curious.
Over the years, several passengers on the bus have given me a polite hard time. I'm not expecting to read this online.

Funny you should mention it. I was talking to my wife about taking a ride to Brooklyn to do some <cough> research. Tomorrow evening begins the Jewish holiday of Shavuot/Shavous. http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/shavuot-2017/
I'm afraid a visit to Brooklyn may not yield any of the good bakery results that I'd normally expect. Bakeries will be closing early, leaving slim pickins. I believe everyone reading knows my feelings on this topic.

I'll keep you posted.

dh
Old May 30, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1 seat became available

1 seat is available.

Originally Posted by dhammer53

I'm afraid a visit to Brooklyn may not yield any of the good bakery results that I'd normally expect. Bakeries will be closing early, leaving slim pickins. I believe everyone reading knows my feelings on this topic.
I got to the bakery late morning. Plenty of goodies were still available.

tcook052, I did stop at Floyd Bennett Field. For those riding BRT, I suggest you read up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Bennett_Field

This will not be a long stop. 30 minutes maximum. In all the years I lived in Brooklyn, I never visited FBF. They have 1 hangar that's used for kids parties. They have an ice skating rink, arcade, rock wall, and other fun kid things to do.

They also have an old hangar with some vintage and WW2 airplanes. Who's in? Yeah. I thought so. This will be a pleasant diversion for longtime riders, and lots of fun for new riders.

Driving in, the main road is very long and very wide. I realized at one time this was a runway.

Please read up in the thread for pick up location and pick up time. I won't bore you with repeating it.

If you think you're going to run late, today would be a good time to PM me for my cell number. If you plan on leaving early from the tour, no problem. If you plan on meeting us at the first stop, it could be a problem because the L train (runs along 14th street in Manhattan to Brooklyn) may be closed for construction. It would be so much easier to meet us at 9:45. The bus pushes back at 10:00, or 1000 hours for my Aussie friend. We return no later than 10:00pm (2200).

Have a question? Please ask.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dhammer53
In all the years I lived in Brooklyn, I never visited FBF.
Isn't that worth a free black & white? Thanks DH as it looks like an interesting detour. ^
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:38 am

I'll take the seat if still available.
Thank you.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airsupply
I'll take the seat if still available.
Thank you.
Welcome aboard airsupply.

PM'ing Paypal info.

dh
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Wishing you the best of luck with this years BTR. Fond memories of being toured around by Danny!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Wishing you the best of luck with this years BTR. Fond memories of being toured around by Danny!
While you're most welcome to join the tour in 2018, it would be fun to have my 'friend' join in the fun. I'm sure mrpickles would enjoy a slice of pizza and a black and white cookie. Who wouldn't.

Danny
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pick up information

This is the location where you need to be.

234 East 46 street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. This is the east side of Manhattan.

Arrive between 9:30 - 9:45. We push back promptly at 10:00. The tour will not wait for you.

If you need my cell, today is a good time to ask for it. We switch seats on the bus during the many stops. This is to encourage you to make (new) friends.

Rule #1

No talking while I'm giving you the 50 cent tour. Last year, well, let's not go there. We usually arrive back at 234 East 46th street between 9:30 - 10:00pm. As we make our way back uptown, we can drop you off at any location along 3rd Ave. This is the eastside. If you're headed to the westside, it's a 20 minute or so walk. You can also take a crosstown bus along 14, 23, 34, or 42nd street.

Tips to the driver were included in your fee. You need cash for lunch, pizza dinner, the bakery stop, and the rest stop. Last year we went to http://www.butterandscotch.com/menu/ It looked nothing like I expected. I almost turned around and walked out, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Depending on the weather , I may re-arrange the day. This could be the last stop before heading back to Manhattan, or it could be the 4:00 snack break. The jury is out on this.

The BRT is a mix of longtime riders and new riders. I'm looking forward to showing you the Brooklyn of my yute (not a mis-print). See #20 here > http://mentalfloss.com/article/63883...y-cousin-vinny

dh
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Wish I was going! I know everyone will have fun.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looking forward to it!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:41 am

Join for dinner?

Just wondering if the pizza dinner is still open to non-riders (as it was explicitly last year). I wasn't able to get my act together in time to fully commit, but I might be able to make it to L&B...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.