bdnyc
lili
nomadic.relief

*AS 51 D:5:30 pm A:7:20 pm

From BRW

6/21
*AS 55 D:12:30 pm A:3:40 pm
violist
GrjApp (would switch to AS50 if saver opens up)
ANC RED-EYE (would switch to AS50 if saver opens up)
lili
jackal (would try to change flight to later if can do without change fee, or may try to SDC)

*AS 50 D:7:04 pm A:8:51 pm
beckoa
CDKing
rxgeek
rxgeek+1
bdnyc
nomadic.relief

Departing from ANC to lower 48

6/23/17
AS 94 12:05am nomadic.relief
*AA 384 D 11:20 pm - lili
AS150 11.35 pm - GrjApp

6/24/17
DL 822 00:40 - bdnyc

6/25/17
AS94 - CDKing 00:05

​6/27/17
AS130 0600 rxgeek

7/3/17
AS136 - jackal

LODGING

ANC

AirBNB Rental
CDKing - 6/21-6/25

Copper Whale Inn
CDKing - 6/16-6/17

Downtown Marriott

Downtown Hilton

Frenchie's Adventure BNB
CDKing 6/19- 6/20

Inlet Towers

Quality Suites Historic Downtown
Rxgeek+1
nomadic.relief

Home
jackal

Chateau de Baron Welsh
bdnyc

BRW

In town options
Tukkumavik Suites:*Preferred*
GrjApp
Rxgeek+1
ANC RED-EYE
bdnyc
jackal
CDKing (once again)

Ukpik Nest II hotel:

Latitude 71 Bed and Breakfast:
nomadic.relief

Top of the World Hotel

Near Airport options:
Airport Inn
violist

King Eider Inn (close to airport inn)
Print Wikipost

Alaska Do 2017 BRW Summer Solstice under the Midnight Sun [June 20-23, 2017]

Old May 22, 2017, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

The sun rose in Utqiaġvik at 2:54 a.m. on May 10 and will not set again until 1:56 a.m. on Aug. 2. The city will see a full 24 hours of daylight for 85 days.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:47 am

I just realized that I will be in Alaska with my wife from Jun 20-27th, and this happens to fall on the same time as the DO! I have never been to an FT DO and have always wanted to. I have a refundable RV for the week as we were planning on doing ANC-Denali-Fairbanks-paxson-anchorage for the week.

Now, I am having some serious thoughts of joining the DO!

Since I am late to the party - I would have to get in on AS 50 at 6:13pm. Return flights on 6/21 from BRW-ANC are 350pp or 17.5k miles pp. This is a little steep in my opinion.

I wanted to gather some thoughts from others - worth trying to change plans? On the one hand, I doubt I would make it to Barrow otherwise, especially during Summer Solstice. On the other hand, paying over 500pp just for flights stings a lot.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tanzaniancane
I just realized that I will be in Alaska with my wife from Jun 20-27th, and this happens to fall on the same time as the DO! I have never been to an FT DO and have always wanted to. I have a refundable RV for the week as we were planning on doing ANC-Denali-Fairbanks-paxson-anchorage for the week.

Since I am late to the party - I would have to get in on AS 50 at 6:13pm. Return flights on 6/21 from BRW-ANC are 350pp or 17.5k miles pp. This is a little steep in my opinion.

I wanted to gather some thoughts from others - worth trying to change plans? On the one hand, I doubt I would make it to Barrow otherwise, especially during Summer Solstice. On the other hand, paying over 500pp just for flights stings a lot.

Anyone have thoughts?
How much room does the RV have? Maybe beckoa should change the itinerary and we go to Denali and Paxson with you instead.

17.5K is steep, but it works out to a value of 2.0 cents per mile, so it's still a decent-value redemption, more than I think AS miles are typically worth...
Old May 24, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jackal
How much room does the RV have? Maybe beckoa should change the itinerary and we go to Denali and Paxson with you instead.

17.5K is steep, but it works out to a value of 2.0 cents per mile, so it's still a decent-value redemption, more than I think AS miles are typically worth...
17.5k for a once in a lifetime experience? That mitigates the cost, hopefully.
We're going to be in Denali from the 24-26. Renting a house with "HomeAway". Would like to
join you or anyone else that's available.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

Anyone have thoughts?
You only live once and you will (most likely) only have this one chance to visit the "Top Of The World". It is worth going if you have never been before.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
tanzaniancane, would be fun to have you and your wife along.

If you're not able to make it to BRW, there's still the BBQ and airport tour after BRW ^.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by jackal

We have room for 4 more - come join!

Problem is I used up all my Alaska miles to get to ANC, then from ANC-HNL, and finally HNL-SAN.

Originally Posted by rxgeek
17.5k for a once in a lifetime experience? That mitigates the cost, hopefully.
We're going to be in Denali from the 24-26. Renting a house with "HomeAway". Would like to
join you or anyone else that's available.
I think you may be right. I probably would never do this again. Let me ponder for a day or two and see how much it would cost to rebook the RV for a shorter period of time - or if we do Barrow, perhaps I'll scratch the RV idea since it will only be 4ish days instead of 7. I'll see how things pan out and it may be that we end up in the Denali area at the same time!

Originally Posted by beckoa
tanzaniancane, would be fun to have you and your wife along.

If you're not able to make it to BRW, there's still the BBQ and airport tour after BRW ^.
Thank you for such a big welcome from everyone in this group. Let me figure out the logistics and I will keep everyone posted. Definitely very enticing
Old May 25, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Looks like I'll be doing Denali the opposite of everyone else. I'm stopping by on the way up (well up, down and back up again)
Old May 25, 2017, 1:56 pm

Lightbulb Amenities

In the spirit and tradition of Missydarlin, I will be collecting hotel amenities, soaps, shampoo, conditioner, etc. to take to the AWAIC shelter in Anchorage. AWAIC is a place of safety for women and children escaping abusive situations. I take several bags per year and they are very appreciative to get them.

If you would like to donate to a good cause please bring them with you.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

We have room for 4 more - come join!

Problem is I used up all my Alaska miles to get to ANC, then from ANC-HNL, and finally HNL-SAN.
This was almost the first Alaska DO with a component in Hawaii... wanted AS870 to be a party flight

Perhaps in the future. Fun triangle ^
Old May 26, 2017, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Wow... the NAC video is no longer on this page playing.

Last edited by beckoa; May 27, 2017 at 9:41 pm Reason: :D
Old May 26, 2017, 5:34 am

What happened to the tower tour? It's not on the itinerary posted up thread.

Last edited by BOB W; May 26, 2017 at 11:50 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
What happened to the tower tour? It's not on the itinerary posted up thread.
Monday I am following up with a contact in BRW, among other tasks. Please keep a watch on this thread for updates.

The tower tour is not listed as we haven't confirmed what time it will happen. I'm still waiting on most to confirm attendance to the tower tour and TSAIA operations.

I need a list of names to submit. Extra approval is required for those who are not U.S. Citizens, please note in the PM if you're not a U.S. Citizen.

Last edited by beckoa; May 28, 2017 at 1:52 am Reason: more clarity
Old May 27, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
Beckoa will also be scheduling time in Utqiagvik with a local Elder who will teach everyone to say the name if the town correctly. Utqiagvik is one of the Inupiat names for the town that is the centerpiece of this DO. It means "A place to hunt Snowy Owls".
I might need a name of said elder that you've met
Old May 27, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
I might need a name of said elder that you've met
It has been over 10 years since I was last in Utkiagvik so I don't know any of the elders anymore. When you get to the museum I'm sure somebody there can help you out with the language issues and proper pronunciation of the name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.