Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Old May 16, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by smitty06
Trying to figure out how much Australian currency to bring. Are credit cards accepted for transit? Do we need cash for the DO dinners?
Credit cards are accepted at the ticket machines at the train stations. I recommend using an Opal card.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:47 am
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smitty06
Trying to figure out how much Australian currency to bring. Are credit cards accepted for transit? Do we need cash for the DO dinners?
Cash for dinners would be preferable so we can get around the "We don't split bills" issues. The menus for each of the dinner restaurants is available via the links so you should be able to judge how much you need for those.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Looks like a bunch of people taking the train to Newcastle from Sydney on the Friday

I will be arriving from Wellington on QF162, the same flight as Perk, at 08:10

We're thinking of heading into town to hang out for a while and hopefully join some others for the train trip to Newcastle (happy to stop somewhere if that works out). Anyone keen to join us?

Jeff
Old May 17, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jswong
Looks like a bunch of people taking the train to Newcastle from Sydney on the Friday

I will be arriving from Wellington on QF162, the same flight as Perk, at 08:10

We're thinking of heading into town to hang out for a while and hopefully join some others for the train trip to Newcastle (happy to stop somewhere if that works out). Anyone keen to join us?

Jeff
jswong - I'll be taking the train from Central Station to Newcastle Friday, probably around noon or so. I have not investigated times or fares yet.

I might ask FT Sydney experts this question: I'm arriving into SYD Thursday. Do I buy 1 ticket SYD airport to Newcastle allowing stop-over at Central Station, or 2 individual tickets, one to Central Station, one to Newcastle? Is a return ticket a saving? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
jswong - I'll be taking the train from Central Station to Newcastle Friday, probably around noon or so. I have not investigated times or fares yet.

I might ask FT Sydney experts this question: I'm arriving into SYD Thursday. Do I buy 1 ticket SYD airport to Newcastle allowing stop-over at Central Station, or 2 individual tickets, one to Central Station, one to Newcastle? Is a return ticket a saving? Thanks.
Best to buy an opal card and then load up an amount on the opal card.

Maybe buy an opal card for enough to get into the city then find a 7 eleven where you can then top up with American Express.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
jswong - I'll be taking the train from Central Station to Newcastle Friday, probably around noon or so.
I'm also in the city and plan to get a train around noon to Newcastle. I'm pretty close to the Sea Life Aquarium so could easily get anywhere after breakfast, though would need to plan what to do with my bag.

Looks like there is a train at 12:15 from Central which gets into Newcastle at 15:08 after the bus connection towards the end.
http://www.sydneytrains.info/

Last edited by tom911; May 17, 2017 at 10:18 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 1:17 am
Oz Fest organizers
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
... though would need to plan what to do with my bag...
May be of interest:-
SYDNEY CENTRAL STATION
Grand Concourse
Eddy Ave
Haymarket 2000 NSW Australia

https://www.baggagestorage.com.au/in...entral-station
http://www.sydneytrains.info/station...on_details.htm
Old May 18, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
From what platform do the Hamilton (Newcastle) trains normally depart Central?

Last edited by serfty; May 18, 2017 at 9:49 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Very Late To The Party

Platinum for myself and Shrek if there are any spots available for dinner. I'm in ADL Fri/Sat. Might be able to come to Fighter World Sunday too.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I arrive SYD Friday. I plan to drop my luggage Central Station then hang out in Sydney for a few hours. Then grab brunch or lunch then take the 12:15 or 13:15 train to Newcastle.

Last edited by Austin787; May 18, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old May 18, 2017, 8:02 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Platinum for myself and Shrek if there are any spots available for dinner. I'm in ADL Fri/Sat. Might be able to come to Fighter World Sunday too.
Might finally get to meet Shrek
Old May 19, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
On the first of many many flights to finally get to Newcastle. See you all soon.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
On the first of many many flights to finally get to Newcastle. See you all soon.
Apparently there will be some detours along the way.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by monitor
Apparently there will be some detours along the way.
That's how we roll in the FT world 🙂
Old May 20, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum

I will also be catching the train to Newcastle on Friday. Looks like the 12:15 or 13:15 will be the party train so will book which ever departure the masses decide to take.
See you all soon!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.