Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Oz Fest 14 Newcastle, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 26 to May 28, 2017

Old May 24, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I regret I won't be able to join folks for dinner Thursday evening. I am spending tonight (Tuesday night) at the LAX Hilton, courtesy of UA. <sigh>
What a darned nuisance! We'll look forward to seeing you Friday.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
I may be able to join you at the Cheers Sports Bar on Thursday evening, depending on
the progress of my damage control training with the Australian Navy. We have been at it for days now, but we are way behind schedule. I am also aiming for the 12:15 train to
Hamilton on Friday. I hope it works, but if not, I will catch up with y'all in Newcastle later
on Friday evening.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:25 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I regret I won't be able to join folks for dinner Thursday evening. I am spending tonight (Tuesday night) at the LAX Hilton, courtesy of UA. <sigh>

My flight, RNO-LAX was held on the ground 2 hours 40 minutes, due to ATC delays in LAX. Apparently there are runway repairs there too (as well as SFO). The LAX-SYD flight of course leaves on time!

This is how US airlines screw their customers. The West Coast regional flights are held on the ground due to ATC, which is entirely predictable due to runway repairs, but the international flights arrive and leave on time. The airlines make no effort to address these problems. So UA pays for my hotel and I lose a day's vacation and a nonrefundable hotel reservation.
See FaceBook private message
Old May 24, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by penegal
Re-Affirming my "Copper" Status.

I am already double booked on the Saturday which is still several weeks away.
Originally Posted by Fredd
Sorry to miss you.
Happy Birthday to Mrs Fredd.

Unfortunately I will miss many of you at the do, but hope to see a few either side. I have been in SYD for the past few days, and off to DRW tonight. I am 80% likely to be back in SYD on Monday for a few days for those hanging around the harbour city (or "harbor city" for the yanks).
Old May 24, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum

tom911 - The 1315 train is fine with me. Actually I might prefer it. PLease keep in touch.
I am also fine with the later train.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Just home this morning from SMF, and getting organised..
BNE NTL Fri 26/5 QF2425 1345 - 1515; NTL BNE Sun 28/5 JQ something 1800 - 1915
Staying CP.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone, and seeing Penegal stated he was Copper & was only double booked a couple of weeks ago, I'd say there's probably a chance of a sighting
Old May 24, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by Storyteller
Looking forward to catching up with everyone, and seeing Penegal stated he was Copper & was only double booked a couple of weeks ago, I'd say there's probably a chance of a sighting
If he does he will have a name tag!

Audrey
Old May 24, 2017, 5:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by upup&away
I am also aiming for the 12:15 train to
Hamilton on Friday. I hope it works, but if not, I will catch up with y'all in Newcastle later
on Friday evening.

Looks like there is enough interest in the later 1315 departure that we'll mostly be on that service now. Will be less of a rush to finish morning touring.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

My flight, RNO-LAX was held on the ground 2 hours 40 minutes, due to ATC delays in LAX. Apparently there are runway repairs there too (as well as SFO). The LAX-SYD flight of course leaves on time!

This is how US airlines screw their customers. The West Coast regional flights are held on the ground due to ATC, which is entirely predictable due to runway repairs, but the international flights arrive and leave on time. The airlines make no effort to address these problems. So UA pays for my hotel and I lose a day's vacation and a nonrefundable hotel reservation.
At least at SFO they're only doing the repair on weekends, guess that's not the case at LAX
Old May 24, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
A Pilgrim's Progress

Well, in 24 hours, I have managed to travel from the Reno airport to the TBIT LAX. A total of just under 500 miles. Travel can be slow in America. However it does give me a chance to visit the new Star Alliance Lounge at Tom Bradley International Terminal, which is quite nice. They have Californian "champagne". UA flights to Asia and Australia depart from Terminal 7, which is usually a long walk from TBIT, however I have all the time in the world this afternoon. If they run out of the Mumm Napa Brut, I can move on to one of the many New Zealand wines.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
After some thought and procrastination and work getting in the way, I cancelled my existing hotel reservation, made another hotel reservation and then cancelled that one as well, I made another hotel reservation which I am sticking with so I will be there.

I have work to attend to on Saturday, skipping out on free work dinner on Saturday night to fly down and see you all.

Flights.

Saturday JQ495 OOL-NTL 5:00PM - 6:10PM
Sunday JQ486 NTL-BNE 6:00PM - 7:15PM
Old May 24, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
In BNE, despite a delay leaving BOS for the same reason restlessinRNO was delayed in LAS ... turned a more than ample LAX connection into somewhat tight one, but made it. VA to NTL showing on time. Looking forward to seeing old and and meeting new friends ... anything planned at Do Central for this evening?
Old May 24, 2017, 5:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Drinks/dinner at 6:30 at Cheers Sports Bar on George Street. We'll be in the basement.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
Drinks/dinner at 6:30 at Cheers Sports Bar on George Street. We'll be in the basement.
Tom,

Not clear if this was in reply to the question at the end of my post just above yours - but if it was, I'm in Newcastle, not Sydney. I was referring to the Crowne Plaza hotel there (or here, from my POV). Sorry for any confusion, and see you tomorrow!
Old May 24, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by tom911
I was hoping someone would take the initiative. Save a couple seats for us. We'll be easy to spot as we've been traveling from CMH since Tues am.��

Last edited by rxgeek; May 24, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.