Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Secret Santa 2016 Official Thread!

Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
Remember this is an unofficial record and that you must PM wharvey when you ship and receive gifts as per the rules in the first post!
This is an unofficial wiki maintained by steveman518. Please fill in gifts you've received if you can. However if you can't, steveman518 will check every post-PM for questions as well
Basic photo upload tutorial (if you choose not to upload directly to Flyertalk)
Find a site to upload your photo to another site
Direct copy the link of the photo or right click on the image and select "copy image URL" or "copy image address". Make sure that the link ends with .jpg/.tif or any other image extension (there may be issues with google images)
Place that link in between the
Code:
[IMG][/IMG] tags
GIFTS RECEIVED
3furballs #1
Annexation #1
annielee #1
AtomicLush #1 (part 2) (part 3) (part 4)
Bravada04 #1
BXIAN #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 #2
Chink400 #1 #2
ckidder 331 #1 #2 #3
compubit #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
CPH-Flyer #1 #2
DeepUnderground #1
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
dibby #1 #2 #3
diburning #1 #2
dogdogcatcat #1
Dogmatick #1
durberville #1 #2
financialhippie #1
Flyiboy #1 #2
FlyingCow #1 (part 2) #2 #3
fnaime23 #1 #2
fralcole #1
genoa #1
Glamette #1
grbflyer #1 #2
Gregor #1
gsegall #1 #2
HockeyMom93 #1
horizontal #1
jamesteroh #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
jetset09 #1
Jinxy #1 #2
jondabomb #1 #2
kauppias #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
kevinflyaway #1 #2
kipper #1 (part 2) (part 3) #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
kolican #1
laguna1 #1
Lakee911 #1
linzbh #1
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3 #4
lksf #1
malexander131 #1
MappingChick #1
Marcia3641 #1
mdovenmuehler #1 #2
Middle_Kingdom #1
miffSC #1 #2 #3
miko2a #1 #2
MissChele #1
missydarlin #1 #2 #3
MrDplus #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
nomadic.relief #1 #2
ohlradio #1
oliver2002 #1
onfo #1
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
pbjag #1 (part 2) #2
poohbear808 #1
poptarts #1 (part 2)
Redhead #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 (part 2)
Ricecakes #1
Richard Chen #1
RockinRon #1 #2
Runner123 #1 (part 2)
samosa #1 #2
sandratravels #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
ScGhost0 #1
SDQBound#1
shutterbugguy #1
sperkins921 #1 #2
SteveHK #1 #2 #3 #4
steveman518 #1 #2 (part 2) #3
strawbearlyjamms #1
TangoThree #1
Tblack15 #1
tcl #1 #2
thatguyatthebar #1
thehowieee #1 #2
Thomas Sivapathan #1
tingadingling #1
token385 #1
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Tpa-flyer #1 (part 2) (part 3)
tzvilev #1 (part 2) (part 3) #2 #3
whherron #1
WriterGirlLinds #1
yunicorner #1
YVRorange #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Print Wikipost

Secret Santa 2016 Official Thread!

Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:54 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Chief Santa Message!

We are less than two weeks from Christmas.... and Santa has way too many blanks in his spreadsheet! He hopes that people will not be on the naughty list this year!

Please work to get your gifts out as soon as possible so that your giftees have their gifts PRIOR to Christmas Day!

Also, remember you MUST message me when you send and receive your gifts!

I do hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday season. I will actually be in NYC from Dec 22 until Dec 29 so wanting to make sure that everything is taken care of in advance!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC; IHG; Accor
Originally Posted by Thomas Sivapatham
Just received 50 playstation store voucher, So want to thank my secret santa lots and lots very much and I am at a loss to which game to purchase. Going to purchase it for xmas day and just play it all day till dinner!

Thanks again!
Jolly good. You must be having dinner late!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Too many
Can't even begin to state my disappointment that neither of my Santas have bothered to post that they've received their gifts. Both would have received well and truly by now and both have been active on the site. For those of you that lurk this thread and have participated please be kind to everyone and post when you get a gift.

Spare a thought that someone from the other side of the world who went to the trouble of buying you; a stranger a gift and put thought into it, arranged shipping and tracked it's delivery. To get a big fat nudda is not in the spirit of Secret Santa. I would rather continue to buy for our local department's wishing well for kids then waste money on ungrateful people who are just plain rude.

This is the first year I've never had any of my giftees post (happened last year with 2 out of 6 too, even after I spent over $300 on postage alone!

Why bother signing up if you don't want to participate to the end?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Can't even begin to state my disappointment that neither of my Santas have bothered to post that they've received their gifts. Both would have received well and truly by now and both have been active on the site. For those of you that lurk this thread and have participated please be kind to everyone and post when you get a gift.

Spare a thought that someone from the other side of the world who went to the trouble of buying you; a stranger a gift and put thought into it, arranged shipping and tracked it's delivery.

This is very strongly worded and perhaps a bit harsh, but I share these sentiments. Only 2/4 of my giftees have posted and it's just a bit sad to check this thread daily and come up empty.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
Chief Santa Message!

We are less than two weeks from Christmas.... and Santa has way too many blanks in his spreadsheet! He hopes that people will not be on the naughty list this year!

Please work to get your gifts out as soon as possible so that your giftees have their gifts PRIOR to Christmas Day!

Also, remember you MUST message me when you send and receive your gifts!
I would respectfully add that if you've received a message from the HeadElf asking for more info on your tastes/wishes, please answer it promptly! That's what is holding me up from finishing my shopping & shipping.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Chief Santa question.

I just had to sign for a package from UPS. Turns out, according to UPS, the gift started out in Saddle Brook, NJ. It was a bottle of fine wine (I think)! I do not drink wine and do not believe my off-line friends would have sent it.

It was addressed to me but there was nothing inside the box but a two bottle carrier and one bottle of wine. There was no packing slip nor a card/note. The box does not even have the wine company name on it, so I cannot follow up with them.

It was mishandled by UPS and arrived today instead of Friday. The box looked like it had been opened and retapped. Perhaps UPS opened it and the packing slip fell out.

I would like to thank whoever thought of me for this gift. True Secret Santa since I do not participate!

Update: mystery solved! I want to thank MrDplus for the gift. Hubby is already eyeing it just like he does with chocolate gifts I get but don't eat! :-)

Last edited by wharvey; Dec 12, 2016 at 4:07 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by tzvilev
This is very strongly worded and perhaps a bit harsh, but I share these sentiments. Only 2/4 of my giftees have posted and it's just a bit sad to check this thread daily and come up empty.
Not really no. I've participated the last 6 or 7 years with multiples and have always put my hand up when delinquent people have left people with no gift when wharvey has needed more people. Some Common courtesy would be nice especially as 50usd plus shipping is a lot of money for many people who take on multiple assignments in the spirit of the fkyeryalk community and event (especially when the currency rate is terrible and you're buying for a stranger).
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:38 pm

My gifts are in the hands of UPS and should arrive tomorrow. Hoping I did well
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Not really no. I've participated the last 6 or 7 years with multiples and have always put my hand up when delinquent people have left people with no gift when wharvey has needed more people. Some Common courtesy would be nice especially as 50usd plus shipping is a lot of money for many people who take on multiple assignments in the spirit of the fkyeryalk community and event (especially when the currency rate is terrible and you're buying for a stranger).
Originally Posted by tzvilev

While I agree that it is more courteous (and one of the rules) for recipients to post when they receive their gifts, this is after all a forum for people who travel. It is entirely possible that your recipients are not home at the moment! Or may be slammed with a heavy year-end workload or family situation and not able to post immediately after they receive the package.

Sure hope we can give everyone the benefit of the doubt and keep posts on this thread positive in the spirit of the season!

Last edited by pbjag; Dec 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag
While I agree that it is more courteous (and one of the rules) for recipients to post when they receive their gifts, this is after all a forum for people who travel. It is entirely possible that your recipients are not home at the moment! Or may be slammed with a heavy year-end workload or family situation and not able to post immediately after they receive the package.

Sure hope we can give everyone the benefit of the doubt and keep posts on this thread positive in the spirit of the season!
Agreed 100% ^^^
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Package Received

Got to the office today after spending most of the day in airports and on planes (a mix of weather and mechanical delays from DAL to DCA) to find a box waiting from Jersey City. I says "Don't open till Dec. 24" - being the bad boy that I am, I opened the box to find 3 wrapped presents inside. I'll end up opening the presents early (as I will be traveling over Christmas), but not sure how early...

Thanks, Secret Santa!!!

Jim

PS, I love the cat wrapping paper - I'm a cat guy, but have been cat-less since my twins passed away after 17 years... (And I moved...)
Attached Images  

Last edited by compubit; Dec 12, 2016 at 5:41 pm Reason: Added a PS.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Look what I got today! Melissa (PBJAG) hit another home run with her gift of these delicious looking salted chocolate chip bookies from Sweet Rose Baking in Anaheim. Although we have never met in person, you have me very well pegged! Thanks so much for the cookies-i will enjoy them as well as the wine that arrived last week. Waiting for my tea to cool so I can open the bag of cookies and dive right in
Attached Images  
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Spare a thought that someone from the other side of the world who went to the trouble of buying you; a stranger a gift and put thought into it, arranged shipping and tracked it's delivery. To get a big fat nudda is not in the spirit of Secret Santa. I would rather continue to buy for our local department's wishing well for kids then waste money on ungrateful people who are just plain rude.

This is the first year I've never had any of my giftees post (happened last year with 2 out of 6 too, even after I spent over $300 on postage alone!

I try to acknowledge gifts received here. However, I know I've had non-FT Santa packages stolen, and it is difficult to know they were stolen if you aren't expecting them. I also give 2 shipping addresses, in case my Santa wants me to wait until Christmas to open gifts. I don't always know presents are received there in a prompt manner, as the address is across the state. Be optimistic and figure they will post soon.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by compubit
PS, I love the cat wrapping paper - I'm a cat guy, but have been cat-less since my twins passed away after 17 years... (And I moved...)
I noticed your address is the MidAtlantic...
So is mine.

If you'd like Santa to bring you something really super special, I've got a foster cat in need of a great human to love her. PM me for details.

Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Last presents taken care of today.

I created a gmail account so that I can email people when to expect delivery of their packages so they would be on the look-out. I also asked them to email me if they did not arrive so that I could track. Found this the easiest way to make sure that the presents are actually received.

Thanks Wharvey for organizing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.