Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
I hope you enjoy it more than we did. I was very disappointed with the food of CHS. Expensive and not that tasty. I like Savannah much more for food. I'm sure @Brendan can point you to the right places.
Gosh. Sorry to hear that you didn't find any of the great restaurants in Charleston - there are so many! What has happened over the years is that some of the older restaurants that used to be the 'go to' places for a good meal, have become too commercial and touristy.

Hope you'll give it one more chance! And shoot me a message and I'll help
point you in the right direction!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1k
Late to the party, but got lucky yesterday picking up a $500 TATL flight from BHX to IAD flying over on the 19th and returning on the 22nd.

Was originally planning on being in Nashville for the eclipse but flight and hotel costs are a bit silly. Have finally plumped for flying into OMA from IAD then stay in Lincoln, NE on the edge of totality. It will be a short drive into the country from there to the centre and plenty of county roads which shouldn't be crowded.

Anyone spotting a flaw in this plan, please shout as I'm not fmiliar with the area.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Richym99
Late to the party, but got lucky yesterday picking up a $500 TATL flight from BHX to IAD flying over on the 19th and returning on the 22nd.

Was originally planning on being in Nashville for the eclipse but flight and hotel costs are a bit silly. Have finally plumped for flying into OMA from IAD then stay in Lincoln, NE on the edge of totality. It will be a short drive into the country from there to the centre and plenty of county roads which shouldn't be crowded.

Anyone spotting a flaw in this plan, please shout as I'm not fmiliar with the area.
The only "flaw" is assuming "plenty of county roads which shouldn't be crowded." I do believe that you have a much greater chance of clear skies in NE than you would have in Nashville.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1k
The only "flaw" is assuming "plenty of county roads which shouldn't be crowded." I do believe that you have a much greater chance of clear skies in NE than you would have in Nashville.
I'm talking relatively. The last total eclipse visible in the UK, I spent it in the company of 10,000 others on the sea front at Torquay, looking at 100% cloud cover. By less crowded, I'm happy with somewhere to put two tripods :-)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But Lincoln's vicinity (or Casper's) will definitely be nothing like Portland's or Atlanta's! (Or TN/GA/NC/SC...) In March 2015, the government of the Faroe Islands had but one rule: Just leave two lanes (specifying certain width) open to traffic, one for each direction.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Aug 2017 - travelling to US to see full solar eclipse

I think first time in my life I am willing to purposely fly across the ocean to see full solar eclipse.

So my question, if you already plan to travel to/within US for this reason, would you share the place you plan to go?

I would like to minimize travel expenses - ideally fly to the place, rent a car, drive to the destination, see, drive back to the airport, fly back.

Suggestions/recommendations?
Old May 28, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I just booked flights to BNA. Mrs BamaVol and I will spend the weekend in Franklin and drive up to Hopkinsville for the (hopefully) eclipse.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Piggybacking on a proposal in one of the OMNI threads, any of the BNA folks want to get together? My best availability will be Sunday afternoon/evening the day before. I'm staying... um, at the Omni. That was confusing when I typed it

Maybe we can add mini-DO locations to the wiki...
Old May 29, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Piggybacking on a proposal in one of the OMNI threads, any of the BNA folks want to get together? My best availability will be Sunday afternoon/evening the day before. I'm staying... um, at the Omni. That was confusing when I typed it

I'm tempted to join. Would probably fly to BNA, since Southwest's HOU-BNA route appears to be by far the least expensive for that weekend. I've actually never been to Nashville so would probably fly up Saturday and back home first thing AM Tuesday, or Monday night. Will probably put flights on hold with points tonight.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by invisible
I think first time in my life I am willing to purposely fly across the ocean to see full solar eclipse.

So my question, if you already plan to travel to/within US for this reason, would you share the place you plan to go?

I would like to minimize travel expenses - ideally fly to the place, rent a car, drive to the destination, see, drive back to the airport, fly back.

Suggestions/recommendations?
My first suggestion is that you have a much greater chance of seeing it out west, except for the Oregon Coast. I also expect that traffic will be a nightmare. I'm flying to PDX the prior morning, driving down to SLE and not planning on moving the car again until afterward, the next day. I allowed the better part of the day to get back up to PDX. I would not be surprised if a couple million people decide to head down from as far as Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland to see this. I also got comped hotel status from a chain I stay in once every 20 years for a dumphole $270 motel room so I'm less likely to get walked than someone with no status.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I have two rooms booked in a random motel in Albany, OR and still haven't decided if I want to watch it from the top of a nearby mountain or head north to join the festivities at the university.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:46 am
Suspended

Missouri.The total eclipse will hit St. Joseph at 1:06 pm CDT. Hotels are booked. Check campgrounds.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Zorak

I'll be in Nashville Saturday to Tuesday, definitely down to get a do together! At an AirBnB near the airport, but I could join up anywhere. Still trying to figure out the best place for actually viewing though...

Edited: Sunday afternoon/evening should work great for me

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm tempted to join. Would probably fly to BNA, since Southwest's HOU-BNA route appears to be by far the least expensive for that weekend. I've actually never been to Nashville so would probably fly up Saturday and back home first thing AM Tuesday, or Monday night. Will probably put flights on hold with points tonight.
That's why I snagged a few extra nights, might as well see the city!

Last edited by financialhippie; May 31, 2017 at 3:09 pm Reason: more info
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
airfares moderated a bit so i was able to massage my flight bookings. i'm now arriving in BOI at 7:15pm on the 20th, and departing at 3:00pm on the 21st. still planning to stay at the HIX in Ontario, Oregon on the night of the 20th.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying into MCI on Sunday Aug 20, plan to drive north or east for prime viewing depending upon weather.

If anyone is in the Kansas City area on Sun evening, I've started a separate thread for a dinner &/or drink Do, all are welcome. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...20-2017-a.html

--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.