Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

View Poll Results: Interest in Side Trip to Brewery?
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a one day trip
20.00%
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a two day, overnight, trip
60.00%
I may be interested, depending on the destination
20.00%
I am not interested
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: polkacat
Attending
polkacat
arollins +5
ellyse +3
KMA26
miko2a
CDKing
srletend
iris30
ANC RED-EYE +1
island82

DO Information

Friday 21 April

6:00 pm drinks: Delirium Cafe (Be sure you go to Delirium Cafe, not Little Delirium!)

7:00 pm dinner: Bier Circus (capped at 12 persons)

Dinner Atendees: Polkacat +2, CDKing, krazykanuck, miko2a, miko2a +1, iris30, kma26, ANC RED-EYE, ANC RED-EYE+1, srletend

Saturday 22 April

Noon - 11 pm Zythos Bierfestival

Buy tokens in advance: http://www.zbf.be/en/advance-sales/
The list of beers is here.

For anyone who wants to travel in a group, I suggest IC 509 departing Central/Centraal at 11 am. This train arrives Leuven at 11:24.

For those who have not been before, if you travel on a train other than IC 509: exit the Leuven train station and bear right to get to the bus depot. The free shuttle to the hall is clearly marked and usually on the 3rd or so platform.

We will grab seats at a table toward the back on the right side of the main hall (in which all of the beer booths are located) as you walk in.

Sunday 23 April

Zythos Bierfestival 11 am - 9 pm

Possible alternate outing, TBD.
Print Wikipost

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I've never been to Belgium but I love the beer! Please put me down as interested.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sstcobra
I've never been to Belgium but I love the beer! Please put me down as interested.
Excellent - hope you can join us.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Bit the bullet and finalized flight plans for next April. Arriving BRU on April 18 and departing on the 24th. Now to work on those pre-ZBF plans.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by KMA26
Bit the bullet and finalized flight plans for next April. Arriving BRU on April 18 and departing on the 24th. Now to work on those pre-ZBF plans.
Mine are almost the same, I leave the morning after you do.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Hey folks - in past years, there has been discussion of sharing the costs of hiring a car and/or driver to explore less accessible breweries in Belgium. If there is enough interest, I can suggest possible itineraries; dates will likely be in the April 19-21 range. In order to determine level of interest, please respond to the forthcoming poll - thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I need to be in FRA, for a convention, from April 27 till April 29. Hoping to make this 'do' work as I love Belgian beers; its been 5years since my last trip there.

Please put me down as 'maybe'.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbh812
I need to be in FRA, for a convention, from April 27 till April 29. Hoping to make this 'do' work as I love Belgian beers; its been 5years since my last trip there.

Please put me down as 'maybe'.
Excellent, hope you can make it.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by ellyse
Gosh polkacat, you must be psychic or something. My Swiss CouchSurfer (who just left my place yesterday) may be joining me, he's a big beer fan, and he also suggested Westvletren. My Belgian CouchSurfer from Ghent (who left my place a few years ago, haha) recommended 2 days for Ghent, only 1 day for Bruges, and 2 days for Brussels.

My rough itinerary thus far, before I heard your suggestions:
Mon 17/4: flight in, arriving BRU either 1910 or 2220) -> still possible to grab a train to Bruges if I arrive on the later flight?
Tue 18/4: Bruges
Wed 19/4: Bruges
Thu 20/4: Bruges (morning) / Ghent (afternoon)
Fri 21/4: Ghent
Sat 22/4: Leuven
Sun 23/4: Brussels
Mon 24/4: Brussels

I then have the option of flying out on:
a) 24/4 on TK at 1335 or 1930
b) 25/4 morning or 26/4 morning on SK or SN/SK with a long stopover in CPH either day
I'm looking for recommendations and opinions on which option to take, but I guess that would be another thread of its own!
Yes you can take the train to Bruges when you arrive at 22:20 if bags are fast. Train is at 22:59. If you mis that one, the last one is at 23:59 with a change in Brussels South (Midi - Zuid).
Why would you spend so much time in Bruges? Yes it's beautiful but also small and full of tourists. Add Antwerp or a trip to the Ardennes or the seaside (Zwin nature reserve) or the war cemeteries.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:02 pm

I'm moving to Belgium (date TBD, probably around January)!

Put me down as a probably.

edit: let down by my employer again... here it is April and I'm still in the States. But I'll be there for next year's!

Last edited by der_saeufer; Apr 2, 2017 at 7:07 am
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Made the plane reservations today so move me and add Mr. sstcobra to Attending. Arriving BRU Apr. 15 and departing Apr. 24. We may be interested in a one or 2-day road trip pre-ZBF.

Where will most people be staying?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Made the plane reservations today so move me and add Mr. sstcobra to Attending. Arriving BRU Apr. 15 and departing Apr. 24. We may be interested in a one or 2-day road trip pre-ZBF.

Wonderful, will do. Most people stay in Brussels for the weekend of ZBF and take the train to Leuven, although some have stayed in Leuven over the years. Hotels in Brussels are generally less expensive over the weekend than during the week. I stay in the vicinity of the Midi train station; others stay near the Central station - either area is convenient. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I'm moving to Belgium (date TBD, probably around January)!

Put me down as a probably.
Got it!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Some of us have stayed at the Renaissance near the EU. Rates have been around 79-89 Euro. 2 blocks to Luxembourg train station and walking distance to one of the classic frites stands.

For a stay that long, I recommend a trip out to the Poperinge area. Go to the pub In De Vrede and get some Westvleteren beer (only place it's officially for sale except if you win the phone lottery with the monks), and take some home. Long considered by many the best beer in the world. Stay at the nearby B&B by the St. Bernardus brewery, and have a tour.

Side trip to Ypres for WW1 stuff is worthwhile.

I am still a maybe. Trying to talk my brother into it.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:07 pm

Didn't know there was a Do. But, I'm going to this. Have my plane ticket. Arriving April 21- May 1. I maybe taking a friend around France after the fest but, that's a big maybe. Have Saturday and Sunday nights booked at the Park Inn Leuven. This will be my 5th trip to Zythos but, the first time since they've moved to Leuven. It's a long over do trip. I have a couple friends interested in going but, right now it's just me. I'm interested in maybe some sort of get together/excursions. Either way. I am attending.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Hmmm, indeed.

Originally Posted by miko2a
Either way. I am attending.
Awesome, look forward to meeting you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.