FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   MCI BBQ DO XI - May 13-15, 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1745814-mci-bbq-do-xi-may-13-15-2016-a.html)

susiesan May 9, 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW (Post 26594791)
If about 1pm isn't too late for lunch, may I invite myself to join you for lunch?

For sightseeing, I was thinking about the Aviation museum if they are offering tours then.

For anyone coming to town early and wanting to sightsee may I suggest the Steamboat Arabia Museum in the River Market? This is a unique in the world exhibit. Read up on it here:
http://1856.com
If you do visit the museum, look to your east across Grand Blvd, you'll see my business, Kansas City Air Filter. Pop in and say hi, I'll be there Friday afternoon until 3:30. Susie

flospi May 9, 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 26598407)
For anyone coming to town early and wanting to sightsee may I suggest the Steamboat Arabia Museum in the River Market? This is a unique in the world exhibit. Read up on it here:
http://1856.com
If you do visit the museum, look to your east across Grand Blvd, you'll see my business, Kansas City Air Filter. Pop in and say hi, I'll be there Friday afternoon until 3:30. Susie

Thanks Susie! The Steamboat Museum was on my list, also because it was on the northern end of the Street Car line :-)
I might just drop in and say "Hello" on Thursday already?

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW (Post 26594791)
If about 1pm isn't too late for lunch, may I invite myself to join you for lunch?

For sightseeing, I was thinking about the Aviation museum if they are offering tours then.

No worries... always better to have company than to eat and drink alone!

As for the Aviatioan museum, that is also on my list of things to do... which one though? I found the TWA museum and the National Airline History Museum...

FriendlySkies May 9, 2016 11:07 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by flospi (Post 26598924)
As for the Aviatioan museum, that is also on my list of things to do... which one though? I found the TWA museum and the National Airline History Museum...

If you have time, visiting both museums is definitely worthwhile! However, if just visiting one, I'd say you should go with TWA. They've added quite a bit of stuff to their exhibits and talking with the former TWA FAs (who help run the place) is always enjoyable. You might even get a chance to see Wings of Pride, an ex-TWA MD-80 that was painted in the "employee powered" livery in 1991 after the employees collected about $233K for the monthly lease.

With the AA merger, the plane was repainted into the AA colors and flew for them until being retired in 2014. The plane spent a lot of time at the former TWA overhaul base at MCI and then debuted the new livery last summer.

Attachment 7854

MCI777 May 9, 2016 12:52 pm

I am trying to work on a good Happy Hour spot for Friday evening before dinner. I'll post here once I decide. Weather forecast for Friday is 78 degrees and sunny. A patio will be a MUST! :cool::cool::cool:

AFAM-DFW May 9, 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by flospi (Post 26598924)
Thanks Susie! The Steamboat Museum was on my list, also because it was on the northern end of the Street Car line :-)
I might just drop in and say "Hello" on Thursday already?

No worries... always better to have company than to eat and drink alone!

Either or both air museums is fine by me. Steamboat sounds good too. I'm not too fussy about how to fill the time before the Happy Hour gathering. Whatever sounds good to you.

My plane is scheduled to land at 11:35 so I'll email/text when I'm on the way to lunch. I'll also DM my contact info.

susiesan May 11, 2016 8:38 am

flospi: are you coming all the way from Switzerland for this? You get the prize for farthest travel distance to eat BBQ!!

AFAM-DFW May 11, 2016 11:28 am

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 26609084)
flospi: are you coming all the way from Switzerland for this? You get the prize for farthest travel distance to eat BBQ!!

From the post on the meet-up calendar, Flospi started the trip in Oslo so add a few miles to the award.

susiesan May 11, 2016 11:33 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW (Post 26609991)
From the post on the meet-up calendar, Flospi started the trip in Oslo so add a few miles to the award.

Wow, I'm impressed. flospi must really really like KC barbecue!

flospi May 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Haha, basically I was checking out all the DOs in order to choose one that I could build my holidays around. It came down to the BBQ and the BRT and I decided for BBQ. But I will not only eat, but also drink beer (Portland OR) and fly (Alaska Airlines Milkrun).

MCI777 May 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Happy Hour for tomorrow will be at Char Bar in the Westport area of Kansas City. The address is 4050 Pennsylvania, Kansas City, MO. Let's shoot for 6pm unless anyone would like to meet earlier. They have a nice beer garden outside. And they also have above average BBQ if anyone would like a "snack" before dinner at Q39.

Our reservation for Q39 is for 12 people at 8:30pm. I will put a note on the reservation for FLYERTALK.

PM for my telephone number so we don't lose or leave anyone behind. :cool:

Looking forward to this weekend!

tonywestsider May 13, 2016 5:57 am

Hello. Unfortunately, my travel plans fells through at the last minute. I won't be able to make it this time. I'd like to join in next year. Have a great weekend!

MCI777 May 13, 2016 10:51 am

I updated the time of Happy Hour to 6:30pm. It appears that rain may be moving through about that time. 6;30pm-810pm at Char Bar.

MCI777 May 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Just arrived at Happy Hour. Sitting outside. Gray button up shirt and shaved head. Hope to see some of you soon!

susiesan May 14, 2016 8:00 am

What's the next stop after KC Joes today? I may not make it there but want to join up at the second locale. is anyone going to Strouds?

Susie

MCI777 May 14, 2016 8:52 am

After KC Joes, people usually splinter off and try their Own thing. I was thinking about Damny Edwards BBQ on Southwest BLVD