Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You're here How Many Years? 15. Oh my.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Seems like yesterday I joined Flyertalk. Back in September 2000, I was member 3300 ish. Being the new kid on the block and breaking in to the clique wasn't easy. Posters with names such as Catman and Rudi were, I wouldn't say dominating, but I read their post frequently. Back in those days there wasn't much action around here. A very limited, but close group. I eventually endeared myself into the 'clique'.

I remember when we got to 5000 members, then 10 and 50,000. I thought control was lost; but as some posters faded away, new ones arrived. ^

Every so often, when I'm searching something, I see one of the names from long ago. In some cases those posters haven't been here in years; and in other cases, I can see a last post date withing the past 6 months.

So here I am today. Flyertalk has 600,000 + members. Some of the oldtimers still post here. Many have moved up (cordelli and magic111) or to other online interests. Back in the day, I never would have believed you if I would have told myself that I would visit this website a couple of times a week, vs a few times a day.

Times change. I'm glad I managed to stick around. I've made many friends over the years on Flyertalk. You know who you are. Thank you all for helping to make my travel dreams come true. Your advice has been spot on and priceless.

Dan
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
For being one who has helped make this site a true community let me please offer my congratulations on your milestone. Here's to many more!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tcook052
For being one who has helped make this site a true community let me please offer my congratulations on your milestone. Here's to many more!
That was very thoughtful of you. I am pretty sure that they're appreciate it. I have been on Flyertalk for almost 10 years anniversary. Thank you for my contribution from my friends on the aviation-related forums. I have been working hard for a long time. It is an improvement. I read the forums for a little bit at a time. Why I can't go back on the entire airliners.net?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

We just had a toast to you by the fire at our ANC portion of the DUT DO ^

Hope sometime I'll make it to one of your NYC events ^
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:33 am
Commander Catcop

member #26 here since may, 1998. 17 years wiw!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I still remember the great dinner you organized at Masa's in SF - a truly memorable experience food-wise and company-wise. Something we never would have done on our own. Though you have not heard us say it out loud, we have thanked you many times.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Posters with names such as Catman and Rudi were, I wouldn't say dominating, but I read their post frequently.
And PremEx, too. I was surprised how much I didn't know about UA when I came on board here.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

We are the richer for having you here, Dan. Thanks for sticking around, gifting toys, and hosting the Brooklyn Reality Tour year after year.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Seems like yesterday I joined Flyertalk. Back in September 2000, I was member 3300 ish.

Dan
Dear Flyertalk Spring Chicken,
I've got over a year on you! The pleasure has been all mine. We've shared quite a few bottles over the years.
Sincerely,
Wine-o-clock aka EB1K
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by beckoa

We just had a toast to you by the fire at our ANC portion of the DUT DO ^
Thanks for passing that along. Now I have to open a good bottle with dinner tonight and toast DUTDo'ers.

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I still remember the great dinner you organized at Masa's in SF - a truly memorable experience food-wise and company-wise. Something we never would have done on our own. Though you have not heard us say it out loud, we have thanked you many times.
I think this was 2005. That was a fantastic dinner. Rather than do the wine pairing, I told the Somm how much our wine budget was, and to match bottles with multiple dishes. That was an overall win that night.

Thank you all my kind friends for your gracious comments. ^

edit > 2003. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...ing-notes.html
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm glad I managed to stick around.
keep sticking around, there's more to come!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
keep sticking around, there's more to come!
.....and another 15th coming in a few months.

Congrats to both of you. Although 15 is LNG past the terrible twos, it's still adolescence.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:02 am

:-::-:Happy Anniversary Dan:-::-:

Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Happy anniversary !

Since I realized I joined on 02-29-2008, I can celebrate my second anniversary only next year
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Well done Dan; 15 years is a long time, Only a few months until I make it to 15 years, I got enticed to look else where but I keep coming back here, not as often but I am still here.

I am very glad to have met Dan and attend one of the BRT Dos, and meet a large number of FT members along the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.