Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is It That Time? The Official 2015 Secret Santa Announcement!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
Please remember to PM wharvey both when you ship your gifts (with contents and tracking for each recipient) and when you receive your gifts (with contents and a name for your santa if possible)!

Posting photos:
Alternatively: Upload your image to somewhere on the internet (a list can be found in the wiki here, and I also can recommend imgur). Once the image is uploaded, right click on the image (control-click or click with two fingers for those of you with macs), click on "copy image URL". Then in your post in this thread, paste the image URL that you previously copied between two image tags, so the result looks like:
[img]your URL here[/img]

There is no "gifts sent" part this time around-PM your sent gifts to wharvey! (though feel free to post it in the thread)

Gifts Received
Please please please PM wharvey when you have received/opened your gifts!
Include pictures if you can-and please only link to posts once you have unwrapped your gifts!
380fanatic #1
98103 #1 #2
balima #1 #2 #3
BillScann #1
BunE #1
BXIAN #1 (part 2) #2 #3
canforce #1 #2 #3
Catch330 #1 #2
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 (part 2) #2
ckidder331 #1
compubit #1 #2 #3
CPH-Flyer #1 #2
danam #1 #2
Deds1 #1 #2
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
dibby #1 #2 #3
diburning #1
erikatcuse #1
eunduklee #1 #2
extramileage #1 #2
fadynaime #1
flipsta #1 #2 #3
Fleyem2thamoun #1
FlyingCow #1 #2 #3 #4
Fragola #1 #2 (part 2) #3 (part 2)
Gberg #1
Glamette #1 #2
grbflyer #1 #2
gsch #1 #2
hijiji #1
jamesteroh #1
Jinxy #1 #2 #3
jturner7 #1
kauppias #1 #2
kenme1 #1
KimmyAA #1 #2
kipper #1 #2 #3
levenhopper #1 #2 (part 1) #3 #4 #5 #6
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3
lisamcgu #1 (part 2)
Litning77 #1 #2
LM225 #1 #2
lukasvolker #1 #2
madguy2 #1
malexander131 #1
Marcia3641 #1 #2
mdovenmuehler #1
MiffSC #1 #2 #3
miko2a #1
Mileage Lover #1 #2
missydarlin #1
MrDPlus #1 (part 2) #2 #3 (picture)
nomadic.relief #1 #2
oenophilist #1 #2 (pictures)
ohlradio #1
oliver2002 #1
onfo #1 #2
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
pbjag #1 #2
poohbear808 #1
PSUPaul#1 #2
Redhead #1 #2 (part 2) #3 #4 #5 (part 2)
#6 #7
RockinRon #1 #2
rxfleming #1 #2 #3 #4
sahiljain22 #1
samosa #1 #2
sandratravels #1 #2
santina91 #1 #2
SDQBound #1
Shuttle_Endeavour #1 #2
SteveHK #1
steveman518 #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4
singtx #1 (pictures)
taseas #1
theacendahole #1 #2
The Deal Mommy #1 #2
thehowieee #1 #2 #3
thorpeflyer #1 #2
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4
tzvilev #1 #2 #3 #4
vvbkumar #1
WhatTheMiguel #1
WIRunner #1 (part 2) #2
YQMYMM #1 #2
YVRorange #1
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Came back to work today after a week away and a big package from Tim McC. in Paris was waiting for me on my desk. A number of small packages and a little santa plus a package that opened in transit revealing an airplane tie pin. ^
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just shipped something to Canada for my recipient and now troubled by the CBSA rules...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/po...deaux-eng.html

Receiving Gifts in the Mail

For an item to qualify as a "gift", a friend or relative must send it to you personally and include a card or other notice indicating that it is a gift.

If you receive an imported gift by mail that is worth CAN$60 or less, you will not have to pay duty or tax on it.
If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, you will have to pay any applicable duty and taxes on any amount over CAN$60.
For example, if a relative sends you a gift worth CAN$200, you must pay any applicable duty, GST or HST and PST on CAN$140.

Items that do not qualify for the CAN$60 gift exemption include the following:

tobacco;
alcoholic beverages;
advertising material; and
items sent by a business.

As well, the CAN$60 gift exemption cannot be combined with the CAN$20 exemption that is available on most items valued at CAN$20 or less.
I made sure I hit the 50US$ SS requirement, which is 67-68CA$ as of this week, and also included a card and left the price sticker on with the price masked with a post it so any customs agent may inspect if required... is the CBSA very strict?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: AC 25k
If you shipped Regular Post, I wouldn't worry too much about it - maybe 2-5% chance of inspection and they're usually pretty lenient if it isn't tobacco/alcohol and clearly a gift.

If you shipped courier, they process taxes and duties through their own brokers and add service charges - all based on the customs declaration filled out when shipping. PITA and can be expensive.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:28 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Got my 4th Present in the mail today, from Holland

Thank you!

Some beautiful CDP, Stroopwafel and Tea

Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:36 am

both gifts sent out now and arriving tomorrow dec 22nd !

@wharvey sent you the info you were requesting!

i also sent out thank you chocolates to my secret santa; lucky to have been part of secret santa flyertalk edition!

Last edited by eunduklee; Dec 21, 2015 at 11:42 am
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus

Received my gift car for Williams Sonoma from UTPhardoc, thanks very much!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus

Another gift arrived from Santa yesterday.

Coloring book ,color pencils, candy and smoked salmon.
Thank you, Santa!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
And thank you wharvey!!!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:26 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Secret Santa Erik was all over the place today- gift arrived from Starbucks for me and two wrapped ones for the Deal Kids- which are under the tree. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I got a card today from MrDPlus! Thank you so very much for the Bordeaux, the wine stopper and the camera bag! I haven't had the wine yet, I'm planning a kid-free party for that! But the stopper has already been used a few times. The camera bag is great. It fits my camera, two lenses, and lots of memory chips!

I was one of your Santas last year
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Redhead
I got a card today from MrDPlus! Thank you so very much for the Bordeaux, the wine stopper and the camera bag! I haven't had the wine yet, I'm planning a kid-free party for that! But the stopper has already been used a few times. The camera bag is great. It fits my camera, two lenses, and lots of memory chips!

I was one of your Santas last year
Let me know what you think of that Bordeaux. It was rated 91pts by International Wine Report (we only drink 90pts+ at home )

I'm glad you liked your gifts. IIRC you sent me some beer last year, which I loved.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Package from Overseas!

Just as I was beginning to worry that I had been a bad boy and Santa was going to skip my house...

I received a package from Denmark in the mail (got a text from USPS that I had a package at 8:04pm tonight).

Opening the box, I see lots a presents!

And the results:

A nice package with Anthon Berg candy (Yum!!!), a book called "Switch I.T. Off" (which I need, since I work in I.T. all day!), Rye Crackers, a Danish candleholder, Story Cubes (a game where you roll the dice and make up a story based on the dice pictures - fun with my niece and nephew), a Danish paper Christmas Ornament, and (yippee!) a Danish Ericofon.

A few notes:
- I'm of Danish ancestry (family from Viborg), and love things Danish.
- The Danes know how to do licorice properly (not too strong - just right for my tastes). I'm not a big licorice fan in general, but I don't think I'm going to share my candy!!!
- The paper ornament made my day - I visited Denmark in 2013 and 2014 and have ornaments from those trips, so this will keep the years going! (Guess I need to head back in 2016!)
- I was shocked to see the Ericofon. Although I only have a couple, it's one of my favorite phone models (my Swedish Grandmother had one in her bedroom when I was growing up).

Thank you, Secret Santa! (I'm pretty sure I know who it is [flyvende ko] - the FT Santas on the wrapping and other posts gave it away...)

Jim
Bonus Pictures:
My Royal Guard visits with other Danish Christmas Ornaments: a couple of trees and kids, and 4 Hoptimist Reindeer and Santa Bumble.

The "New Kid on the Block" Persian Gray from Denmark [LM Ericsson] meets other family members: Swedish-American brother Charcoal Gray [LM Ericsson] and American cousins Mandarin Red, Crystal Mint and Candle Glow [North Electric].
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: Santa's Workshop
Originally Posted by Redhead
I got a card today from MrDPlus! Thank you so very much for the Bordeaux, the wine stopper and the camera bag!
Originally Posted by MrDplus
Let me know what you think of that Bordeaux. It was rated 91pts by International Wine Report (we only drink 90pts+ at home )
When we're not busy at the Workshop, or sending PM's asking for information , the Elves always consult www.cellartracker.com to check how the real world thinks about a wine. Real people post their opinions on a wine. Sort of like Zagat. All you have to do is type a wine into the search box, then find the vintage in question.

Speaking for myself, if Robert Parker of Wine Advocate gives a wine a rating of 95, and posters average it out at 90, I go with the average.

HE53
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: Too many

Dear KimmyAA

Words cannot express how much Mr Jinxy and I appreciate the thought that went into the gifts we received today. Overjoyed is an understatement!
Dolls of the world UK
Cat toys
Lego Technic
Scarf
Beauty products and lip gloss set

So beautifully wrapped and considering shipping was $80 so grateful!
Sincere thanks and gratitude. This has been the best Secret Santa from all 3 of mine for many years!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
A Secret Santa gift all the way from Kiev!

Thanks Marcoua!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.