Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is It That Time? The Official 2015 Secret Santa Announcement!

Is It That Time? The Official 2015 Secret Santa Announcement!

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 19, 16, 4:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: steveman518
Wiki Link
Please remember to PM wharvey both when you ship your gifts (with contents and tracking for each recipient) and when you receive your gifts (with contents and a name for your santa if possible)!

Posting photos:
Alternatively: Upload your image to somewhere on the internet (a list can be found in the wiki here, and I also can recommend imgur). Once the image is uploaded, right click on the image (control-click or click with two fingers for those of you with macs), click on "copy image URL". Then in your post in this thread, paste the image URL that you previously copied between two image tags, so the result looks like:
[img]your URL here[/img]

There is no "gifts sent" part this time around-PM your sent gifts to wharvey! (though feel free to post it in the thread)

Gifts Received
Please please please PM wharvey when you have received/opened your gifts!
Include pictures if you can-and please only link to posts once you have unwrapped your gifts!
380fanatic #1
98103 #1 #2
balima #1 #2 #3
BillScann #1
BunE #1
BXIAN #1 (part 2) #2 #3
canforce #1 #2 #3
Catch330 #1 #2
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 (part 2) #2
ckidder331 #1
compubit #1 #2 #3
CPH-Flyer #1 #2
danam #1 #2
Deds1 #1 #2
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
dibby #1 #2 #3
diburning #1
erikatcuse #1
eunduklee #1 #2
extramileage #1 #2
fadynaime #1
flipsta #1 #2 #3
Fleyem2thamoun #1
FlyingCow #1 #2 #3 #4
Fragola #1 #2 (part 2) #3 (part 2)
Gberg #1
Glamette #1 #2
grbflyer #1 #2
gsch #1 #2
hijiji #1
jamesteroh #1
Jinxy #1 #2 #3
jturner7 #1
kauppias #1 #2
kenme1 #1
KimmyAA #1 #2
kipper #1 #2 #3
levenhopper #1 #2 (part 1) #3 #4 #5 #6
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3
lisamcgu #1 (part 2)
Litning77 #1 #2
LM225 #1 #2
lukasvolker #1 #2
madguy2 #1
malexander131 #1
Marcia3641 #1 #2
mdovenmuehler #1
MiffSC #1 #2 #3
miko2a #1
Mileage Lover #1 #2
missydarlin #1
MrDPlus #1 (part 2) #2 #3 (picture)
nomadic.relief #1 #2
oenophilist #1 #2 (pictures)
ohlradio #1
oliver2002 #1
onfo #1 #2
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
pbjag #1 #2
poohbear808 #1
PSUPaul#1 #2
Redhead #1 #2 (part 2) #3 #4 #5 (part 2)
#6 #7
RockinRon #1 #2
rxfleming #1 #2 #3 #4
sahiljain22 #1
samosa #1 #2
sandratravels #1 #2
santina91 #1 #2
SDQBound #1
Shuttle_Endeavour #1 #2
SteveHK #1
steveman518 #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4
singtx #1 (pictures)
taseas #1
theacendahole #1 #2
The Deal Mommy #1 #2
thehowieee #1 #2 #3
thorpeflyer #1 #2
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4
tzvilev #1 #2 #3 #4
vvbkumar #1
WhatTheMiguel #1
WIRunner #1 (part 2) #2
YQMYMM #1 #2
YVRorange #1
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 16, 7:37 am

Programs: AA, LM, Etihad Guest Gold, Honors Plat, IHG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold,
Originally Posted by SwissCircle View Post
Dear SecretSanta participants
Dear William and his helpers

due to my experiences this year I am really thinking about not participating ever again.

1 of 4 was able to post at least ˝ of the gifts they received, with a thank you note.
1 of 4 was able to post at least a pm to say thank you, but no pics.

From the 2 others I didn't hear or read anything- despite them being online quite often.

I find this incredibly rude and ungrateful.

Seriously, how hard can it be to post some pics of what one received and a short thank-you note??? And those who didn't step up to their promises to deliver when participating- you are just disgusting and of very questionable morale / attitude towards life.

You should be ashamed of yourselves!!!
RAANT OVER
My post a few up from yours was in a similar vain.
I always post a thank you in here, and have also sent PM's if I know who they are. I didn't post any pics this year at all (every past year I have) however I believe my posts were descriptive and thankful enough.

I always participate in extra Santa's when people don't deliver and know it's appreciated.

2 out of 4 I've had this year have posted in here. One was never to be heard from again and only joined FT late last year.

For what it's worth...you were one of mine last year (you never knew that...I had the hotel vouchers sent to you) and you didn't post any pics!

I think the key is after doing this for a few years now ...i actually keep a list of everyone I've had and if I know know had me. I had one bad experience a few years back with the person lying to me saying they'd resent the gift twice (utter crap I never got anything once, let alone twice). Santa actually gave me this person this person this time around and I declined to have them. Wasn't feeling hospitable to buy a gift for someone who was that way inclined. Anyway, now I either request who I'd like, or leave it up to Santa who generally gets it right.

Participate or not participate it's up to you. However i reduced the number the people I had this year to also eliminate disappointed (I went from 6-7 down to 4).

It's frustrating Swiss Circle, especially when people sign up and then go AWOL but that's a part of life that there are some very thoughtless people in the world. At least 95% of people who participate in this are very generous and thoughtful people.
Old Jan 23, 16, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Silver
I huge THANK YOU to Levenhopper. You were so kind to step up and be my replacement Santa when one fell through. I was one of thenonlyflights to land in RDU yesterday and came home to two packages - Cards Against Humanity (a game is about to start!) and a big box of bath bombs from Lush! Thank you!!!!
Old Jan 23, 16, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I've been meaning to take a photo, but never remember to. Sorry!

Levenhopper was also my Santa. I received a Triggertrap™ camera accessory that lets me use my smartphone to control my DSLR. I also received a pack of photographer's reference cards, and a tiny plastic dinosaur. He also got me a travel related accessory, but the company that makes it sold them on kickstarter, and there have been delays (don't worry, I haven't taken any trips yet this year and probably won't until after it arrives!)
Old Jan 23, 16, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by kipper View Post
It is nice to have your recipient acknowledge your gifts, but getting upset if they don't? Not worth it to me. This is supposed to be fun, not stressful.
Exactly.

Also, I think of this as a bit of an exercise in creating good karma. I do my best to choose gifts I think the recipient will like and send them off trusting they will be received in the spirit they were sent. When I receive gifts I do my best to thank the senders if I can identify them. Beyond that, I just try to enjoy the process.
Old Jan 23, 16, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Exactly.

Also, I think of this as a bit of an exercise in creating good karma. I do my best to choose gifts I think the recipient will like and send them off trusting they will be received in the spirit they were sent. When I receive gifts I do my best to thank the senders if I can identify them. Beyond that, I just try to enjoy the process.
It's a great attitude to have.
Old Jan 23, 16, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Today I got ANOTHER gift from one of my Secret Santas!

The second part of the gift was a shipping bill from FedEx because they were unable to the account number on the shipping document or there was no account number. So, they're billing me instead!

Woo Hoo!
Old Jan 23, 16, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by 98103 View Post

The second part of the gift was a shipping bill from FedEx because they were unable to the account number on the shipping document or there was no account number. So, they're billing me instead!

Woo Hoo!
Ouch.
Old Jan 24, 16, 6:14 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
So I know we're getting a bit bummed by the dead beat santas, but let's not forget that quite some global holiday cheer was generated!

Provided it's not more excel number crunching for Wharvey, I think everyone would be pleased by the results.

What's the final tally? Number of people involved, number of SS recipients, total number of total packages sent, number of countries involved...
Old Jan 24, 16, 7:27 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Please see the PM I sent you.... I need some help to know which of your Santas caused this to happen. Obviously you are under no obligation to pay this.... and I expect it is an error of some sort.

Originally Posted by 98103 View Post

Woo Hoo!
Old Jan 24, 16, 7:28 am
Original Poster

This would certainly take some time to figure out.... I will look at it once I have all gifts delivered.

I am not inclined to spend any more time on this project than I already do.... this is already a six month project each year! And I do not even participate personally.

Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
So I know we're getting a bit bummed by the dead beat santas, but let's not forget that quite some global holiday cheer was generated!

Provided it's not more excel number crunching for Wharvey, I think everyone would be pleased by the results.

What's the final tally? Number of people involved, number of SS recipients, total number of total packages sent, number of countries involved...
Old Jan 24, 16, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by kipper View Post
For those wondering if their recipient received their gifts, I might suggest that you search the thread to see if they posted here. I often miss posts in threads, and only see them when someone quotes it.
Alternatively y'alls can check the wiki, as I do my best to have it updated each day with every gift that's posted
Old Jan 25, 16, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Everyone needs to understand a few things since I got a few messages.

1. I do not update the WIKI... it takes enough to keep my spreadsheet up to date.... I have over a 1,000 private messages I have to manage to try and keep up with Secret Santa.... I do not even check the WIKI... that is why everyone is to private message me their updates.

2. You can assume if I have not reached out to you that your Santa has confirmed receipt of their gifts.... OR have ignored my requests for update which means I default show them as receiving their gifts (as detailed in the message I send them). You can always reach out to me to ask for any status update I may have on your gifts.
Old Jan 26, 16, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold
Thank you, vvbkumar for stepping up as my third secret santa.

I've received 3 books from my Amazon wish list, including one that I don't remember why I added it -so looking forward to reading it and find out-, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid in Latin.

Thank you ^
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:17 am

Better late than never! Today I received some Vlogbrothers swag - another Pizza John shirt, a thermos, and a poster signed by john and hank! Thank you santa!
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Glad to see the vendor finally shipped the gift.... after they "lost" the first package!

Originally Posted by tzvilev View Post
Better late than never! Today I received some Vlogbrothers swag - another Pizza John shirt, a thermos, and a poster signed by john and hank! Thank you santa!

Search this Thread