Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is It That Time? The Official 2015 Secret Santa Announcement!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
Please remember to PM wharvey both when you ship your gifts (with contents and tracking for each recipient) and when you receive your gifts (with contents and a name for your santa if possible)!

Posting photos:
Alternatively: Upload your image to somewhere on the internet (a list can be found in the wiki here, and I also can recommend imgur). Once the image is uploaded, right click on the image (control-click or click with two fingers for those of you with macs), click on "copy image URL". Then in your post in this thread, paste the image URL that you previously copied between two image tags, so the result looks like:
[img]your URL here[/img]

There is no "gifts sent" part this time around-PM your sent gifts to wharvey! (though feel free to post it in the thread)

Gifts Received
Please please please PM wharvey when you have received/opened your gifts!
Include pictures if you can-and please only link to posts once you have unwrapped your gifts!
380fanatic #1
98103 #1 #2
balima #1 #2 #3
BillScann #1
BunE #1
BXIAN #1 (part 2) #2 #3
canforce #1 #2 #3
Catch330 #1 #2
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 (part 2) #2
ckidder331 #1
compubit #1 #2 #3
CPH-Flyer #1 #2
danam #1 #2
Deds1 #1 #2
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
dibby #1 #2 #3
diburning #1
erikatcuse #1
eunduklee #1 #2
extramileage #1 #2
fadynaime #1
flipsta #1 #2 #3
Fleyem2thamoun #1
FlyingCow #1 #2 #3 #4
Fragola #1 #2 (part 2) #3 (part 2)
Gberg #1
Glamette #1 #2
grbflyer #1 #2
gsch #1 #2
hijiji #1
jamesteroh #1
Jinxy #1 #2 #3
jturner7 #1
kauppias #1 #2
kenme1 #1
KimmyAA #1 #2
kipper #1 #2 #3
levenhopper #1 #2 (part 1) #3 #4 #5 #6
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3
lisamcgu #1 (part 2)
Litning77 #1 #2
LM225 #1 #2
lukasvolker #1 #2
madguy2 #1
malexander131 #1
Marcia3641 #1 #2
mdovenmuehler #1
MiffSC #1 #2 #3
miko2a #1
Mileage Lover #1 #2
missydarlin #1
MrDPlus #1 (part 2) #2 #3 (picture)
nomadic.relief #1 #2
oenophilist #1 #2 (pictures)
ohlradio #1
oliver2002 #1
onfo #1 #2
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
pbjag #1 #2
poohbear808 #1
PSUPaul#1 #2
Redhead #1 #2 (part 2) #3 #4 #5 (part 2)
#6 #7
RockinRon #1 #2
rxfleming #1 #2 #3 #4
sahiljain22 #1
samosa #1 #2
sandratravels #1 #2
santina91 #1 #2
SDQBound #1
Shuttle_Endeavour #1 #2
SteveHK #1
steveman518 #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4
singtx #1 (pictures)
taseas #1
theacendahole #1 #2
The Deal Mommy #1 #2
thehowieee #1 #2 #3
thorpeflyer #1 #2
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4
tzvilev #1 #2 #3 #4
vvbkumar #1
WhatTheMiguel #1
WIRunner #1 (part 2) #2
YQMYMM #1 #2
YVRorange #1
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by WIRunner
A package arrived, yesterday apparently but it sat in the office unknown to me. Inside was a rather large V-8 engine model. Thank you to ???. It will make a great spring project!

Be on the lookout for Part 2.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:00 pm
Commander Catcop

WIRunner... I figured it out. Thanks for your suggestion.

My Secret Santa gift will be out by the 15th. Waiting for one back ordered item but I'm traveling over the next week.

This was fun.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
Thanks to my anonymous Secret Santa for my new madeleine pan, springform pans, fresh lavender and cute socks.

Ahead of the gift, my Santa sent a madeleine recipe via HeadElf. As soon as I have time, I will definitely be trying them out! Thanks Secret Santa!!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
so I got:
- A very nice model airplane, SQ Boeing 777-300
- A USB charger that can hold at least 2 full charges for my new Xperia z5
- A wonderful magnet with pictures from different Singapore attractions.

To my Secret Santa: Thanks a lot!!! It would be nice to know who you are, so please send me a pm if you are willing to do so.

Pictures to follow.
Glad to hear you got your gifts and liked them! I'm your Secret Santa! I wasn't sure if we were supposed to reveal ourselves so decided to play it safe, but looks like a lot of people are sharing as did my first Secret Santa!

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
Smile

I also received a second Secret Santa gift today from another anonymous Santa. It was a Kindle book from Amazon - Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk - with a nice note about when they read the book and how they enjoyed it. I downloaded it immediately to queue it up for a mileage run to the west coast on Friday!

I had no idea you could gift people Kindle books but love the idea! I will definitely be doing that for friends in the future!

Thanks Secret Santa!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: Too many

All 3 packages sent today to Asia. I'm hoping there won't be any problems with customs accepting the goods....

Also two postcards today! One from San Fran and the other from London! Santa is playing games with me!!! Love it!!!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by KimmyAA
Thanks to my anonymous Secret Santa for my new madeleine pan, springform pans, fresh lavender and cute socks.

Ahead of the gift, my Santa sent a madeleine recipe via HeadElf. As soon as I have time, I will definitely be trying them out! Thanks Secret Santa!!
I want madeleines
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Posting Pictures....

The link in the Wiki for uploading pictures was not working for me.... and since I am old and forgetful... I went and searched out the old post and thought I would post the info here again:

I'm going to post this again because I think it really is the easiest way to upload pictures to a FlyerTalk thread....and some newer people may not know this option exists.

Have two tabs open... one to the thread and one to open My FlyerTalk.
Go to 'My FlyerTalk" - on the left side of the page under Networking is a link for Pictures and Albums. Click that.
Then click Add Album and Title it.
Click on 'Click Here to Upload Pictures' (I resize pictures to 600 mgpixels first)
Upload your picture.
Then, in your album choose the picture you want to share.
Underneath the picture you will see 'Picture URL'
Copy the URL
On the thread page, choose Reply to Thread
Choose the little icon at the top that is yellow with mountains (Insert Image)
Paste the picture URL
Type any comments you would like to add to the post.
Post.
Voila! Your picture is posted.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Package one of two sent. I'm debating sending the rest right now, seeing as I want my recipient to get their gifts on just in time for Christmas. Decisions...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Depends on the package. The USPS flat rate boxes seem to be the most economical, and are reasonably fast. It was $13.80 for one person via this, or $75 with the same shipping estimate. If you're going international, nothing is cheap.
I found that shipping first class using your own packaging was cheaper than the flat rate boxes.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by Glamette
Package one of two sent. I'm debating sending the rest right now, seeing as I want my recipient to get their gifts on just in time for Christmas. Decisions...
ship it now. If they're like me, where you travel for Christmas, the early arriving package will be nice.

We're gone the week before and after Christmas so any packages we get will sit for up to 2 weeks at the post office, with UPS/fedex
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
How are people handling shipping bottles of alcohol overseas? I have a bottle I want to send as part of my package but was told by the USPS it is illegal to ship alcohol. I'm figuring there is a way around it since wineries ship. Will Fed Ex or UPS allow it? Or do you just not put it on the customs form? I'll be shipping a bottle with some other stuff
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How are people handling shipping bottles of alcohol overseas? I have a bottle I want to send as part of my package but was told by the USPS it is illegal to ship alcohol. I'm figuring there is a way around it since wineries ship. Will Fed Ex or UPS allow it? Or do you just not put it on the customs form? I'll be shipping a bottle with some other stuff
Depends on the country. I know that I can't send alcohol from Australia to Canada as an example via regular Au Post (it was returned to me by the post). Some countries restrictions are really tough.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
In the US that I've had ship things to me do it via UPS, with a 21+ signature required. I would assume that you'd get "busted" if you tried to ship and not disclose it if you shipped internationally (there'd be potentially duty due on it, or other restrictions possibly.)

Best solution: Mileage Run, post it at the country it is going to.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:54 pm

It seems to me the shipping restrictions are tougher where there is an industry they are "protecting".

I am a bit concerned about the wine + glassware I shipped today - the UPS guy admitted to only owning the store for one week, but assured me he'd had lots of packing experience! I do hope my parcel arrive in one piece, not a gazillion shards!! It's bad enough it's a week later than planned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.